English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware pics

Old 11 July 2009, 19:15   #21
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
OF course an old 486 use less power than a sleightium3 (think 15W versus 60~75W): 3A versus 12~15A!
Old 17 July 2009, 21:43   #22
Secret Vampire

http://www.bboah.com/index.php?actio...536&artlang=en has to be the holy grail for this type of endeavour, the inline ISA/PCI slots should allow you to install a PICMG SBC, and have active PCI slots for a decent graphics card or 3D accelerator, looks like there's plenty of clearance between the Zorro and PICMG slot too, so you should lose minimal slot space for Zorro expansions.
Old 18 July 2009, 15:18   #23
CU_AMiGA
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Vampire View Post
http://www.bboah.com/index.php?actio...536&artlang=en has to be the holy grail for this type of endeavour, the inline ISA/PCI slots should allow you to install a PICMG SBC, and have active PCI slots for a decent graphics card or 3D accelerator, looks like there's plenty of clearance between the Zorro and PICMG slot too, so you should lose minimal slot space for Zorro expansions.
that is a very good link there SV, and although it has made me jealous lol i think that PICMG SBC would take it a bit too far for me! Wouldnt you lose DOS gaming compatibility? I was thinking of maybe sticking with the Pentium 233MMX and just getting a PCI GFX card to have the best of both worlds, ie DOS and Win95 gaming!
Old 19 July 2009, 14:46   #24
Secret Vampire

Provided you choose the SBC and graphics card sensibly, DOS gaming shouldn't be an issue. most will work fine on a PCI system, but you might need an ISA soundcard for full compatibility.

I've got a small collection of PICMG boards, and a small 3 slot backplane wedged into an AT case (It doesn't quite line up, as I discovered to the cost of a SCSI card and hard drive after I powered it on after moving house to be greeted with magic smoke), I'd expect at least the pentium pro and socket 7 ones to be fine, but I'm not so sure about the PIII based one.
I'm now thinking that if you had your A4000 tower conversion in a full tower case, there's probably be space inside to mount one of those little backplanes and a second PSU to keep the Amiga and PC sides totally separate but enclosed in the same case. The same could be done by mounting a backplane above the motherboard inside an A2000, and replacing the huge stock PSU with a couple of low profile ATX ones, I think there's enough height on the case to clear the PCI cards and SBC, just.
Old 17 August 2009, 17:48   #25
CU_AMiGA
Banned

Just thought i d add this. I havent really hade much time to do anything yet that pushes this or makes real use of the PC side yet. But thought i d note the mysterious Picasso IV "flickering dot" bug that alexh found hilarious has gone (i think i changed the way i installed the Picasso 96 software or something).
Old 23 February 2022, 09:56   #26
midway

Awesome project!

I tried setting one up in a 4000T but the board doesnt start only the cpu fan turns. Its a pentium mmx 233, the same board you have. Did you have to recap it?