English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 29 February 2020, 00:12   #1
d4rk3lf

PC to Amiga IFF - freaking antialiasing.

Long Story short:
I found my way around Photoshop, and 3ds Max, and everything, but there is some thing I want to do (like scaling animated character), and freaking antialias (that turns on, whenever I look at image).

Do we have a PC software that do:
1) importing png (tga, or any other format) - converts to 16 -32 colors?
2) Can we do the conversion on series of images (sprite walking) automatically, preserving the same colors from first image?
3) Do all the above, but automatically scale the sprite half of height (preserving the same colors).
4) Export all as IFF Amiga readable format.

Basically, what is the best PC to Amiga (graphics) conversion app? Not for a single image, but for animation?
Old 29 February 2020, 00:28   #2
DavidQ

You could try ProMotion by Cosmigo...
https://www.cosmigo.com
Old 29 February 2020, 01:13   #3
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf View Post
1) importing png (tga, or any other format) - converts to 16 -32 colors?
Converts to 8 -16 -32 - 64 -128 - 256

PhotoFiltre (free version 6 and 7)
http://www.photofiltre-studio.com/news-en.htm
Old 12 March 2020, 15:24   #4
d4rk3lf

Thanks guys.
I've tried both apps but still unable to convert to 16 colors.
(Pro Motion app is really really impressive... )

I mean... I can convert to 16 colors - 1 image, but I can't convert series of sprite images (rendered in png), to be at the same palette, and not only same palette, but positions of the colors to be on the same place.

Any ideas?
Old 12 March 2020, 18:12   #5
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

Regarding conversion, here's what you can do:

-Step 1: convert from iff to gif using GFXConverter (Aminet - runs from workbench)
-Step 2: do whatever you like with the gif in photoshop. Save in gif format again.
-Step 3: convert the gif back to iff using GFXConv again.

Regarding palette handling (photoshop) and regarded the format of the pic is gif or png-8 (normal png does not have indexed color, only png-8):

-Step 1: Go to Image->mode->color table
-Step 2: Color table will open, from here you can adjust the palette, add colors, remove them, rearrange them e.t.c. You can also save the palette and use it later on other files. Or load a different palette.
-Optional step: If you want to rearrange colors or load a palette with different color arrangement, first make sure to 'select all' and copy the image. Once you finish with your palette handling the image colors will look wrong and messed up. Paste your old image in there and everything will go back to normal.

Warnings: Photoshop has a nasty habit adding some sort of dither if f.e. you try to paste to an indexed image something that has completely different color values. Photoshop will try to match the diferent colors with the ones in the index and doing so it might add dither. To avoid that make sure that the colors are the same before pasting.

Alt: an alternative method of reducing color and index color handling in photoshop is the option "save for web". Take a look in there cause this is also a very handy tool.
Old 16 March 2020, 13:32   #6
Daedalus

Again, not a PC program, but PPaint should be able to do everything you need. If not directly, then with a little ARexx scripting. It has support for loading most formats including PNG, converting to any number of colours with different colour reduction algorithms, halving the vertical resolution, remapping of colours to a given palette, and creation of animation frames. Exporting can be done to IFF anim or AnimGIF as needed, or other formats as separate images.
Old 25 June 2020, 08:55   #7
Nishicorn

Quote:
Long Story short:
I found my way around Photoshop, and 3ds Max, and everything, but there is some thing I want to do (like scaling animated character), and freaking antialias (that turns on, whenever I look at image).
It's not 'antialias', it's anti-aliasing'. It has nothing to do with 'alias'.

My advice is, forget rendering stuff and letting the computer put pixels on the screen instead of the user, and learn to use one (or more) of Amiga's superb pixel-drawing packages, like the brilliant Brilliance, or, if you must, one of the Deluxe Paints.

You get better results and as you have complete control of the pixels, can decide the level of anti-aliasing as a matter-of-fact.

Also, why would anti-aliasing 'turn on', whenever you 'look at' .. image? Or did you mean 'an image'?

Is this anti-aliasing telepathic, so it can always know when you are going to look at an image?

Even if you mean you are using an image viewer that manipulates that image instead of letting you see the raw pixels of what the image consist of, how does this even happen?

Did you try ACDSee or Irfanview? (I don't like the scaling of Irfanview, but at least it's gradual)

Irfanview has nice batch conversion options that let you pretty much manipulate any image or group of images any way you wish - I use it a lot for a light-weight 'photoshop' of sorts, it's very handy.
Old 03 July 2020, 12:12   #8
steenl

Quote:
Thanks guys.
I've tried both apps but still unable to convert to 16 colors.
(Pro Motion app is really really impressive... )

I mean... I can convert to 16 colors - 1 image, but I can't convert series of sprite images (rendered in png), to be at the same palette, and not only same palette, but positions of the colors to be on the same place.

Any ideas?

This old piece of software can do a lot of magick

https://imagemagick.org/index.php

I have used it in the past for exactly what you are asking. You provide a number of images and a palette and it will do color reduction using that palette and making sure colors are the same and at same index in the palette and so on.
Old 03 July 2020, 13:56   #9
NoX1911

ham_convert supports a fixed color palette.
http://mrsebe.bplaced.net/blog/wordpress/?page_id=374