English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 09 December 2008, 23:10   #1
mtb

a1200 problems

Hello,

as a recent member of a retrocomputing group ( that's why i use we instead of i ), we have an a1200 that has some troubles... There wasn't a kickstart, so we've bought a 3.1 one and so now the amiga boots and works ( the hd was fine ).

Then there isn't a floppy drive. Does an a600 one works and fits without modifications? Or an a500 one?

And also the most important: it has a broken keyboard: at least 2 keys ( right shift and one of the most important, the SPACE ) aren't working. Especially for the last problem, what can we do? We have a spare a600 keyboard, and nothing else apart from a lot of old pc keyboards...

p.s. you can see it here and here

Thank you in advance!
Old 09 December 2008, 23:53   #2
TheCorfiot
Amibay Senior Staff

Hi mtb

Pleased to hear you guys are restoring the A1200, A great machine to have.

regarding your floppy issue, An A500 or A600 Drive is compatible from both a functional & electrical point of view, ie no modifications required.
However I would advise using an A600 type as you will find that it fits perfectly within the A1200 & the Eject button will sit correctly with the case unmodified.

Now regarding the keyboard, Seeing as you do not have an entire row not functioning I would say that the membrane contacts have worn or failed for the keys described. Your real option here would be to search ebay for a replacement, again would have to be A1200 specific, or you can order a new replacement from amigakit (google amigakit), they can supply a brand new white keyboard for <£20 (last time I looked)

Good luck with it & of course we are here to help if you have any further problems...

TC

BTW Amigakit can also supply you with a suitable Floppy drive too
Old 09 December 2008, 23:58   #3
amigakit.com

Welcome!

We have compatible floppy drives and new Italian A1200 keyboards in stock.
Old 10 December 2008, 00:04   #4
mtb

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCorfiot View Post
Hi mtb

Pleased to hear you guys are restoring the A1200, A great machine to have.
Of course! We have nowadays quite a lot of machines, we still lack a fully functional aga amiga, a functional sinclair ql and an acorn archimedes ( damn... quite rare here )

Quote:
regarding your floppy issue, An A500 or A600 Drive is compatible from both a functional & electrical point of view, ie no modifications required.
However I would advise using an A600 type as you will find that it fits perfectly within the A1200 & the Eject button will sit correctly with the case unmodified.
Ok we will try!

Quote:
Now regarding the keyboard, Seeing as you do not have an entire row not functioning I would say that the membrane contacts have worn or failed for the keys described. Your real option here would be to search ebay for a replacement, again would have to be A1200 specific, or you can order a new replacement from amigakit (google amigakit), they can supply a brand new white keyboard for <£20 (last time I looked)

Good luck with it & of course we are here to help if you have any further problems...

TC
Ok thank you a lot. We have seen also a keyboard with switzerland layout here .

Anyway, isn't it possible to try to repair the broken one?
Old 10 December 2008, 01:37   #5
Magno Boots
Zone Friend

Hi,

I would suggest cleaning the carbon contacts on the keyboard membrane with alcohol prior to purchasing a new one.

Good luck.
Old 10 December 2008, 08:20   #6
zipper

Retouching them with 6B pencil may help, too
Old 13 December 2008, 01:25   #7
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

Hi, If you have an ebay account i would also recommend looking up an ebay shop called "Amiga Retro Experience" the seller "Airey36" has alot to offer in his shop. Also as mentioned before Amigakit.com is a great place for parts too.

I remember once with my long deceased A500+ (R.I.P) I had trouble with certain keys not working so i dismantled the whole keyboard and cleaned all the contacts on the membrane (including the ribbon cable) with rubbing alcohol (it cleaned all kinds of crap) and it worked fine until it died for unknown reasons! should take another look at that soon. Hope this helps
Old 19 December 2008, 18:09   #8
mtb

Thank you everyone.

We have tried yesterday to use 3 floppy drives ( 1 from an a500, 1 from an a600, and an Epson 720kb, iirc smd-300, after changing the pins ): we always obtain df0:????? .

We have also tried to change the cable with one from an a600 and one from an a500, but still nothing.

An external floppy instead is working well.

The floppy led turns off, the engine works, but always df0:????? . If we choose to boot from df0: in the ess, we still boot from the hd due to the disks not being recognized. Ps. the floppies are working.

What it could be?

Tya.
Old 20 December 2008, 03:43   #9
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
Bad floppy configuration/ disk presence switch or fuxored cable.
Old 20 December 2008, 21:50   #10
Amiga1992

About a keyboard, I may be able to send you a keyboard membraneto replace yours, but maybe it's just the springs/rubbers/whatever.

Contact me via a PM and I can sort you out.