English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.WHDLoad

Old 26 September 2009, 14:11   #1
emuola
Registered Whdload user

Whdload works in Winuae, not with A1200 (nothing happens)

I'm new to this whdload stuff, but I managed to buy/register and got the games running fine from a cd-hd, which is used as a "real" Amiga hd in Winuae.

The problem is that when I try the same cf-hd in my A1200 (KS 3.1, mtec 1230, 8MB, 2 Gb cf-hd and ClassicWB Lite), browse the game folder and double-click the icon, nothing happens. If I try the whdload by just typing "whdload" the program at least runs. With the same procedure I get the games running just fine in Winuae. Weird.

Whdload is installed in the boot partition (dh0) and games are in dh1.

Any way to track this problem down?
Old 26 September 2009, 14:21   #2
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Put WHDLoad in the folder 'C' of DH0 on your Amiga. That should do the trick.
Old 26 September 2009, 14:24   #3
emuola
Registered Whdload user

I have the file WHDLoad in "C" of dh0. I also have the WHDLoad.key there. Like I said the same hd works in Winuae (added as a hard drive), but not with real A1200.

*edit*
Ok, I found out some info regarding a 68030, which I apparently have onboad with the Mtec 1230... Could that be the problem?
*edit*

Last edited by emuola; 26 September 2009 at 14:43.
Old 26 September 2009, 15:07   #4
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Does it work when you call it from the CLI?
'CD' to the folder with the game and type 'WHDLoad <Name of the slave>.slave'.
Old 26 September 2009, 16:12   #5
emuola
Registered Whdload user

Unfortunately no, I etiher get nothing (cursor just moves to next line) or I get "Recoverable alert. Press left mouse button to continue". I re-installed whdload on the real Amiga (with the installer), but the result is the same.

How is this possible? Everythign else works equally with A1200/WInuae
Old 26 September 2009, 16:14   #6
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Get SnoopDos and see what happens when you try to start WHDLoad. Maybe it's a missing library.
Old 26 September 2009, 19:43   #7
emuola
Registered Whdload user

Ok, I attached a Snoopdos log (sorry for the messy layout). I really can't think of anything else than a hardware difference, because I haven't selected a "608030" in Winuae, and my Amiga has that.

Can someone please help, this is really getting frystrating I'm having a problem, that actually doesn't exist, or at least shouldn't...

Any other program I try, works ok. So this has to be something whdload-related.

Last edited by emuola; 16 October 2009 at 14:09.
Old 26 September 2009, 19:50   #8
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Sounds like your memory module(s) isn't correctly seated to me.

If its doing a recoverable alert almost immediately, either its a program crashing or its running out of memory.
Old 26 September 2009, 19:57   #9
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Perhaps Maxtransfer issue?
Old 26 September 2009, 21:29   #10
emuola
Registered Whdload user

I'll do a memtest soon I'll put the mob after the guy that sold me this if the mem is faulty... About the maxtransfer, what's that? I found out that it's a hd "setting", but where to find it?
Old 26 September 2009, 21:37   #11
prowler
Global Moderator

Hi emulola,
It's a setting in HDToolbox. Have a look here:
Prepping compactflash as IDE drive
with emphasis on MaxTransfer value.
Old 27 September 2009, 15:04   #12
emuola
Registered Whdload user

Ok, I think I found the reason... It is the 8 meg module installed to the Mtec 1230. I replaced the module with a 4Mb one (haven't got any bigger modules atm) and whdload works fine I also ran a couple of memtest utilities and both of them had some errors with the 8 meg module. Actually, the other app had errors also with the 4 meg module, but at least the few games I tried worked ok, so I'm thinking I just didn't know how to use the memtest.

Because I'm a pessimist when we talk about computers, I'd like to know what memtest utility I should use and how? Just to make sure my computer is really ok. And the seller avoids the mob...

So, it *seems* that I finally have a working A1200
Old 27 September 2009, 17:22   #13
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by emuola View Post
Ok, I think I found the reason... It is the 8 meg module installed to the Mtec 1230. I replaced the module with a 4Mb one (haven't got any bigger modules atm) and whdload works fine I also ran a couple of memtest utilities and both of them had some errors with the 8 meg module. Actually, the other app had errors also with the 4 meg module, but at least the few games I tried worked ok, so I'm thinking I just didn't know how to use the memtest.

Because I'm a pessimist when we talk about computers, I'd like to know what memtest utility I should use and how? Just to make sure my computer is really ok. And the seller avoids the mob...

* Galahad pats himself on the back
Old 27 September 2009, 17:45   #14
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by emuola View Post

Well, i have a 1230 M-Tec and had some strange WHDLoad bugs too with 8MB. In ClassicWB s: you find the whdload.prefs. Open it with an editior and remove the ";" in this line. This fixed all my problems. Worth a try.

Quote:
;NoFilter ;disable audio filter
;NoFlushMem ;do not flush memory
NoMemReverse ;do not allocate memory reverse
Old 28 September 2009, 16:56   #15
emuola
Registered Whdload user

Thanks for the tip Retro-Nerd Now when I start whdload with that 8 meg memory module installed, I first get "Recoverable alert. Pres left mouse button to contunue" and then if I press the button whdload actually starts and seems to work ok. Strange? Is it possible, that the memory is faulty, but it still "works" with "NoMemReverse" -option enabled? I'll get a few 8 meg modules for test in a few days. This is still somewhat puzzling
Old 28 September 2009, 18:01   #16
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Is this "Recoverable Alert" really memory related? Maybe an incompible library? I have no clue. Try if something like "The Settlers" works fine. This game needs a lot of memory for preloading. You should try the suggested new Maxtransfer value too.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 28 September 2009 at 18:08.
Old 28 September 2009, 19:22   #17
emuola
Registered Whdload user

Ok, can I change the maxtransfer value without wiping the whole partition away? I suppose everything hdtoolbox related does that. I'm really no expert, but can it really be hd-related (max transfer), if it works fine with lesser memory?
Old 28 September 2009, 19:38   #18
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Do you get this "Recoverable Alert" message at any WHDLoad game? You said that a tested game works fine with 8 MB. I'm still not convinced that your 8MB module is broken somehow. WHDLoad is sometimes like a X-file.
Old 28 September 2009, 21:04   #19
emuola
Registered Whdload user

I tested a number of games and I always first get the "recoverable error...". But when I press the left mouse button I get back to wb and whdload starts without problems. I know, it's weird

If I comment the NoMemReverse -setting out, I only get the "Recoverable error..." and after presing the left mousebutton I get back to wb, but no whdload whatsoever.
Old 29 September 2009, 17:12   #20
emuola
Registered Whdload user

Ok, maybe I'm on to something here...

I tested with another 8 meg module, same result. Then I acidentally found out, that after I have started whdload (from cli or by double clicking) and gotten the "Recoverable alert. Error 100 000c..." once, the same thing happens if I just doubleclick for example the Shell icon in the lower right corner of ClassicWB Lite. However this does not happen with all the icons on the desktop. This suggests that memory gets corrupted when I first run whdload, right?

I then found out about some trouble with whdload and "anticlick" feature in ClassicWB (or some similar anti click utility). I then tried to change the anticlick to Disabled, but I immediately got "Software failure..." and Miggy rebooted. I then changed the memory to 4 Mb and I then was able to disable the anticlick. Unfortunately that didn't cure the original problem, because with 8 megs I still get the "Recoverable alert..." when starting whdload.

Anyway I then started to disable the utilities that load automatically on startup and it seems that pressing the Enable/disable button always ends up with "Software failure..." and the setting remains unchanged. This does not happen with 4 megs installed.

So it seems there's something wrong with ClassicWB and 8 megs on a M-tec 1230. This is the best conclusion I can end up with. I haven't tried to disable all the possible utilities yet, cause I'd like to hear you opinion on this first.

*edit*
One interesting thing is that "my" "Recoverable error..." is red (just like software failure) and not yellow as it should? be at least according to wikipedia. I really don't know if this is just unnecessary crap, but I decided to report anyway
*edit*

I would really like to hear your comments on this. Maybe this should be moved to ClassicWB sub-forum?