English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Amiga Forever

Old 23 July 2011, 03:04   #1
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Hi:
I am trying it. I've made a 20Gb partition formatted with fat32 in my new Windows 7 64 bits Ultimate, but when using the Amiga Forever Cd and the instructions to install Knoppix in my "C64x"; http://www.amigaforever.com/kxlight/installation/, I found the "bad primary partition 2" message to install it there. I was needing to format the partition to use Linux Ext4 (I'm new with all this, so sorry if I say some nonsense). I watched this video of how to install Ubuntu with Windows 7 [ Show youtube player ], and I've already got a Ubuntu 11.4 cd http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download.

I tried to find a way to format the partition to be used with Linux, but it seems it's difficult to find one that works with Windows 7 with 64 bits.

What did I think? Just to install Ubuntu using the youtube tutorial, change the partition with Ubuntu to use ext4 and later install there the knoppix Amiga Forever deleting Ubuntu.

I've just done it. It works right as I thought. It says that it will delete the contents of that partition (great) and it installs it there.

I changed even the "boot selector" that Ubuntu has for the one of the Knoppix, but... I've booted it twenty minutes ago and it still doesn't boot (it was showing progress, but now I don't see any).

The questions:
Is this a way to make it?
I think later I won't be able to see that partition in Windows 7, is it true?
And if instead of making it as a linux partition I leave it and just copy the contents of the Amiga Forever cd? Will it take longer to boot or will it be the same? If I make it (easiest way) can I copy things then between Windows and the Amiga Forever partition...? (Edit: No, you can't. Even to install a copy of the Cd you need to make it as an ext4 partition. About if you can see the contents in Windows 7 it seems that you can with this: http://www.soluvas.com/read-browse-e...rom-windows-7/ , but I haven't tried it.)

How must I do it?

EDIT: It stays there without progress even if I boot it again. Must I wait for some update or isn't it working right?

And... I don't like a booting menu to select between OS's. I preffer to change the booting partition with the Bios, as I won't be using it so often. Edit: It seems I can't do it as it seems an ext4 partition is invisible at least for the Bios.

EDIT: It seems my idea is good (to install Ubuntu to prepare the partition and install A Forever there later). The thing is that I've tried booting from the cd like I do in my laptop, and here it doesn't boot from there; it behaves exactly like the installation I did in my partition.
EDIT: It boots from an AForever 2006 version, but I don't have the wireless mouse working.

Edit: To delete Ubuntu, I've used this [ Show youtube player ]. If you only try to format the partition, it won't work and you'll have to install it again so you can get access to Windows 7 with the grub program that Ubuntu installs.

Final edit: My conclusion: Amiga Forever has to improve his knoppix installation so I can use it, or I could try with a ps2 mouse.
And now... I think I will try with Icaros.

EDIT: I'm leaving this as far as I don't like launchers while booting and I can't get into the Bios but connecting another keyboard, as I can't change F8, del or F12 (which I don't have in my Commodore keyboard) to work at booting (later they work). So I won't install anything else by now.
EDIT: It seems I can try with VirtualBox.

Last edited by Retrofan; 15 August 2011 at 13:07.
Old 19 August 2011, 19:00   #2
tcook1943

I warn you I am an acknowledged idiot and am invariably wrong, however, in your situation where as I understand it you want to install a version of Ubunto but are a complete newcomer to Linux, (And want to be able to check what's going on from Win 7) my best advice would be to use VirtualBox.

Running from a virtual machine is unlikely to slow things down to a critical level while the actual Linux install should be easy enough, much easier than native usually due to the standardized virtual hardware.

VirtualBox used to be a little hard to configure for file sharing but is now much improved and dead easy.

There is also an excellent downloadable manual.

Good Luck, Tony Cook

Old 03 September 2011, 00:01   #3
ipp0

Hello Retrofan,

you can try Partition Magic to create an ext3 Partition on your harddrive with windows. Resize any partition first to get free space on your HD, then create the ex3 partition and format it. You need this type (0x83) necessarily for installing Amiga4ever.

Read my howto at: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=60830

I see no other possibilities for a direct booting HD-install of AOS with windows stuff.

It works without having already a linux-system installed but you have to do more configuration in linux (KX-light) text-mode then.

If you have further questions feel free to ask.
Old 09 September 2011, 14:44   #4
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipp0 View Post
Hello Retrofan,

you can try Partition Magic to create an ext3 Partition on your harddrive with windows. Resize any partition first to get free space on your HD, then create the ex3 partition and format it. You need this type (0x83) necessarily for installing Amiga4ever.

Read my howto at: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=60830

I see no other possibilities for a direct booting HD-install of AOS with windows stuff.

It works without having already a linux-system installed but you have to do more configuration in linux (KX-light) text-mode then.

If you have further questions feel free to ask.
Thanks a lot. Glad you did it, although it seems a little complicated for me.
Just one question: do you need a ps2 mouse or can you use an usb one?
Old 09 September 2011, 21:34   #5
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofan View Post
Hi Retrofan,

I think you'll need a PS/2 mouse.
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=47156

Edit: I've just noticed that I couldn't test if it were possible to use a USB mouse with the PS/2 mouse port disabled in the BIOS, because my 1GHz Pentium III machine didn't have that option.

If your machine allows that, then maybe a USB mouse will work for you.
Old 15 September 2011, 00:58   #6
ipp0

Quote:
Knoppix should support usb-mice since it's a Gentoo-2.6.24 kernel. I think that's no problem.
E-UAE uses the Knoppix-side drivers. You don't need to configure anything in AmigaOS for using your mouse.
What about trying AF booting from CD? If your mouse works there, it will work with the HD-install.
Old 16 September 2011, 14:47   #7
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipp0 View Post
Knoppix should support usb-mice since it's a Gentoo-2.6.24 kernel. I think that's no problem.
E-UAE uses the Knoppix-side drivers. You don't need to configure anything in AmigaOS for using your mouse.
What about trying AF booting from CD? If your mouse works there, it will work with the HD-install.
I'll have to try with AF 2012. They are so kind that after I hadn't received the Cd I bought them of Commodore Forever for a time (they sent it later after I sent them a mail), a couple of weeks ago they sent me a mail with AF2012 and Commodore Forever 2012... for free!! With their product keys and so.

The thing is that I would like to have it installed in the Hd to add some programs, games and directories to it.
Old 20 September 2011, 12:16   #8
ipp0

Quote:
I'll have to try with AF 2012. They are so kind that after I hadn't received the Cd I bought them of Commodore Forever for a time (they sent it later after I sent them a mail), a couple of weeks ago they sent me a mail with AF2012 and Commodore Forever 2012... for free!! With their product keys and so.

The thing is that I would like to have it installed in the Hd to add some programs, games and directories to it.
If i understand you right you have an Amiga Forever 2012 CD this time. That should work like the previous Versions of AF.

Boot from CD and test your mouse. If it works, go ahead:
Begin with creating the 0x83 partition with Partition Magic or similar first.
Do a HD-install of AF on that partition with installing the bootloader.
Boot your AF and do the configuration stuff from my howto. (install missing uae files and edit config files...)
You should be almost done then.