English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 02 September 2018, 14:07   #1
keith.f.kelly

WinUAE 4.0.1 x64 keeps crashing

Got a new laptop (MSI GS65 Stealth Thin 8RF-037). Using the same exact WinUAE + files (HDF, configs, etc) I've used without problems on my old laptop (Lenovo IdeaPad U530 Touch).

On the new laptop, WinUAE boots off the system HDF (Workbench 3.9 w/ BoingBags 1, 2, 3, & 4) fine, boots into TinyLauncher fine... but when I choose any game from the TinyLauncher menu, WinUAE crashes.

Minidump attached.

BTW, it would be super-helpful if you could make matching symbols/PDB available for download with each release so folks like me with the know-how could at least load the minidump up inside WinDBG and get a call stack. Just a suggestion
Attached Files
File Type: dmp winuae_x64_4.0.1_R_2018.09.02_04.44.15.dmp (167.7 KB, 147 views)
Old 02 September 2018, 14:44   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Symbol file is too large, both 32-bit and 64-bit 7zipped is almost 20M.

Anyway, your crash is in JIT code which usually means something did something too bad or Amiga stack is too low etc... Disable JIT and try again.

(btw, GS65 Stealth Thin includes "a-volute" sound component that, at least old versions, hooks to all executables that use D3D11, and makes winuae d3d11 implementation to fail when switching modes)
Old 02 September 2018, 20:51   #3
keith.f.kelly

Thanks for the suggestions! But it turned out to be a problem with my Startup-Sequence... somehow, at one point the other day, I must have managed to move TinyLauncher before LoadWB... and that one little thing is what caused all the problems. It's still strange that it caused WinUAE itself to crash (even with JIT disabled and "A-Volute" uninstalled) rather than just causing a crash inside the virtual Amiga... but whatever, I'm happy again
Old 02 September 2018, 20:55   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith.f.kelly View Post
Thanks for the suggestions! But it turned out to be a problem with my Startup-Sequence... somehow, at one point the other day, I must have managed to move TinyLauncher before LoadWB... and that one little thing is what caused all the problems. It's still strange that it caused WinUAE itself to crash (even with JIT disabled and "A-Volute" uninstalled) rather than just causing a crash inside the virtual Amiga... but whatever, I'm happy again
I am not happy yet

Attach new crash dump without JIT enabled, thanks. JIT can crash but non-JIT mode should not crash.

Attach also your config file and log (tick logging option in misc panel to enable it)
Old 10 September 2018, 02:48   #5
keith.f.kelly

I finally found some time to try to repro this again for you and get a crash dump, but what I'm finding now is the crash only happens with JIT enabled. With JIT disabled, the emulated Amiga just hangs, but WinUAE does not crash. Sorry for the false alarm!
Old 10 September 2018, 20:23   #6
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Can you (privately if needed) send me your HDF that crashes under JIT (+config file).

100% reproducible JIT crashes are really rare and this hopefully would help to fix some unknown JIT bug.
Old 15 September 2018, 19:17   #7
keith.f.kelly

Yes, I can do that. I'm working on paring it down to a minimal/small set of files and configuration that still repro's the issue, so I can send you a reasonably-sized ZIP file.
Old 29 October 2018, 01:22   #8
tygre
Returning fan!

Hi Toni and all!

Sorry to hijack this thread, but my problem seems totally fitting: I have a program that, when clicking a one particular button, causes WinUAE v4.0.1 to crash only when the JIT is enabled (when the JIT is disabled, Enforcer provides hints on the problem).

I cannot provide a log file (!?) when the JIT is enabled because none is created: when I click that particular button, WinUAE disappears, a MS-DOS Console-like window appears and disappears (too fast to read anything, it looks like a dump though), and then nothing. I must rerun WinUAE.

How can I help you track this problem?

Best,
Old 29 October 2018, 18:25   #9
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

You can try using -log -logflush command line parameters. But JIT related crashes are difficult to debug and usually they happen when program does something bad. You can check latest 4.1.0 beta if it works better (it has some basic "jit crash protection" but it can also make things even worse..)
Old 02 November 2018, 02:05   #10
tygre
Returning fan!

Hi Toni!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
You can try using -log -logflush command line parameters. But JIT related crashes are difficult to debug and usually they happen when program does something bad. You can check latest 4.1.0 beta if it works better (it has some basic "jit crash protection" but it can also make things even worse..)
Yes, indeed, with WinUAE 4.1.0b7, WinUAE doesn't crash The emulation "freezes" and it is possible to invoke the UI with F12 and reset/restart the emulation, nice!

Cheers!

PS. The options -log -logflush produces a Console window during the running but no winuaelog.txt file is created, am I doing something wrong?

Last edited by tygre; 02 November 2018 at 02:13.
Old 02 November 2018, 11:06   #11
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tygre View Post
PS. The options -log -logflush produces a Console window during the running but no winuaelog.txt file is created, am I doing something wrong?
After WinUAE starts, select "Paths", tick "Enable full logging" before starting your config
Old 02 November 2018, 21:12   #12
tygre
Returning fan!

Thanks DamienD but I already had ticked this option, and still no log is written on the disk... I looked into the WinUAE folder as well as next to the Configurations files, etc.
Old 02 November 2018, 22:02   #13
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Check winuaebootlog.txt last line for log path. It also mentions if it is enabled.
Old 02 November 2018, 23:46   #14
tygre
Returning fan!

Hi Toni!

Unfortunately, when I wrote that no log is written on disk, I really meant it: not even "winuaebootlog.txt" (which should be in the same folder as WinUAE.exe, shouldn't it?)

Is there something else that I could do?

Best!
Old 03 November 2018, 01:47   #15
PeterK

No, the logs are not always appearing in the directory where WinUAE.exe is started from. Open the WinUAE properties page for "Paths" where you can see on the last line to which path/file the output is send.

For example, on my system it's in C:\Users\Public\Documents\Amiga Files\WinUAE\winuaebootlog.txt
Old 03 November 2018, 03:40   #16
tygre
Returning fan!

Hi PeterK and Toni!

Duh! I learned again something new, thanks PeterK

So, I found the logs, Toni! I attached them here... Are they helpful? Don't hesitate if I should do something else to help!

Cheers!
Attached Files
File Type: rar WinUAE 4.0.1 and 4.1.0b8 crashes with AmiModRadio.rar (3.6 KB, 110 views)
Old 03 November 2018, 09:42   #17
AMIGASYSTEM

tygre I have no problem running AmiModRadio either on WinUAE 4.0.1 32/64 bit

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 09 November 2018 at 23:24.
Old 03 November 2018, 20:42   #18
tygre
Returning fan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
tygre I have no problem running AmiModRadio either on WinUAE 4.0.1 32/64 bit
Hi AmigaSystem and thanks!

It is my current (development) version that had a bug that make WinUAE crash badly

Cheers!
Old 03 November 2018, 20:59   #19
AMIGASYSTEM

I had imagined it, if you need my own test, I'm available
Old 04 November 2018, 17:55   #20
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tygre View Post
Hi PeterK and Toni!

Duh! I learned again something new, thanks PeterK

So, I found the logs, Toni! I attached them here... Are they helpful? Don't hesitate if I should do something else to help!

Cheers!
Still no winuaelog.txt included.. and dump file is zero size.