English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.ClassicWB

Old 30 March 2007, 22:52   #61
ppill
CON: artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonbennett
i have classic WB adv on my CF boot straight on.
Connected via a PCMCIA adapter?
Old 30 March 2007, 22:58   #62
Gordon
Settler

no. IDE cable and those adpaters from hong kong. but it works great. theres a thread in prb.hardware whih will help you. im happy to assit
Old 30 March 2007, 23:03   #63
ppill

I know you can use a CF2IDE adpater for that. The point here is to be able to use a CF card connected to the PCMCIA port of the Amiga and get similiar functionality like with the adapter you're using. Both methods are great but this one's a Plug'n'Play solution since you don't have to remove the lid to get to the card.

See the first post in this thread.
Old 30 March 2007, 23:09   #64
Gordon
Settler

sorry mate i dodnt read it. i know there have been solutions via FDD, but how about having an internal CF hard disk which will contain the drivers, but use the CF card from the PCMCIA card as the main harddrive
Old 30 March 2007, 23:43   #65
ppill

Hey, no problem.
It is a possibility but I do believe IDE adapters are slightly faster so it wouldn't make sense to have the main AmigaOS setup installed on the slower one. And I guess people tend to go for only one of these CF addons (PCMCIA or IDE).
Anyway... the important bit is that now you can enjoy ClassicWb on both
Old 31 March 2007, 01:06   #66
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@ppill

I wonder if its possible to edit the ks rom image to include fat file sys and a bootstrap for CC0: / PCMCIA ?

to make space one could get rid of the IDE stuff and not even bother initializing it.

ponders.... this would completely allow CF card to be driven from the pcmcia under fat file sys.... hmmm...
Old 01 April 2007, 16:45   #67
ppill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0
@ppill

I wonder if its possible to edit the ks rom image to include fat file sys and a bootstrap for CC0: / PCMCIA ?

to make space one could get rid of the IDE stuff and not even bother initializing it.

ponders.... this would completely allow CF card to be driven from the pcmcia under fat file sys.... hmmm...
Should be possible but you'd probably have to modify compactflash.device so it could be a rom module initiated from within the kickstart. I personally don't know how to do it... maybe someone else on this board will
Old 01 April 2007, 19:56   #68
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

indeed food for thought.....
Old 25 August 2007, 16:31   #69
Bloodwych

Well, I've been playing catch up but after reading through and watching ppill's video all I can say is I'm impressed. Works fast on the accelerated Amiga - I'd be interested to see the speed on a standard 68020.

These CF cards seem really useful. I think I still prefer internal 2.5" hard drives as a primary storage medium, but still some brilliant improvisation and use of the PCMCIA slot for a plug and play Workbench! Must be a first in the Amiga's history!

At the moment I see you're using a floppy to kick off the boot process, but a RAD: device for resets. Very clever work. Also instantly transferable and usable on any A1200 I'd imagine, again like I said above must be an Amiga first.

I guess if you also have an internal hard drive, you can have the best of both worlds: ditch the floppy and use a boot menu on the internal hard drive in order to select which medium to boot from!

Good work guys.
Old 25 August 2007, 18:06   #70
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@guys

I have been reviewing some work that Narmi has done with the 1MB Kickflash (adding another 512KB to the kickstart)

The device allows for extra - boot features to be included and work very well for A500's / 600's (a1200 dont need the adapter just differnet chips) but I have been thinking of buidling a small patching programm that would copy the roms from the host machine... patch them with extra loading libraries (there are ones that allow you to boot from CDROM )) ) and then prepare the roms for programming back to the KS chips I belive that the CC0: device could be used and mounted with fat16 drivers too... combining this with a small startup-sequence on the root CF drive I see it mounting the HDF Disk Image and then executing the startup file in that.

I believe that this would / could benefit this project by allow CWB without a boot-disk

i will look more into this next week me thinks.
Old 25 August 2007, 19:03   #71
ppill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodwych View Post
Well, I've been playing catch up but after reading through and watching ppill's video all I can say is I'm impressed. Works fast on the accelerated Amiga - I'd be interested to see the speed on a standard 68020.
It's slightly slower than using a normal Hard Drive (since it's a big 100MB file that the system has to traverse). But you can fix that by partitioning the CF card and installing ClassiWB on one of them. Or creating a hybrid like described here. Then the speed is pretty much the same (must run some test but with CompactFlash you have almost zero seek times and absolute silence (less writing cycles though and you still need the floppy disk to some boot magic).

Keeping my fingers crossed for Zetr0. Maybe he can come up with a custom kickstart image
Old 25 March 2008, 00:49   #72
FrankW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppill View Post
I've created modified ClassicWB packages which you can use to boot from using a special disk for each one (LITE, FULL, ADVSP). I'm uploading them now(this may take a while) and will post links when done.

Here are the links:
http://www..com/file/12132126...cWB_ADVSP.html
http://www..com/file/12133616...icWB_FULL.html
http://www..com/file/12134444...icWB_LITE.html

Check ClassicWB's site to see which one suits your setup.

All you need to do is:
  • Using WinUAE copy the necessary files from the Workbench 3.x to the HDF of your choice (like you would when installing the normal packs -- simply load the ClassicWB config file, add the HDF file in the Hard Drives tab and click Start)
  • Then copy the HDF file to a FAT fromatted CF card's root directory (this is important because the mountlist for the HDF file points there)
  • Transfer the coresponding ADF to a floppy disk
  • Plug in the CF Adapter with the card
  • Insert the boot floppy and wait
Depending on the setup it shouldn't take more than 40 seconds to load up (on my a1240/40 it takes 30 secs to boot up the ADVSP version and 10 secs to reboot). If it fails to boot switch off the amiga, remove the adapter and plug it back in (this should help). If something else should happen get back to me in this thread .

I haven't had the time to create a step by step guide showing exactly how to create an HDF file plus a corresponding mountlist but you can simply modify one of the images included in the packs without changing its name and use that.

/me is off to the another amiga project
Hi pill,

thanks for your great work.

Unfortunately the three files were deleted
Is there any other download link for these ?
Or can someone upload at least one of them again ?

Thanks,
Frank

Old 25 March 2008, 05:48   #73
Eclipse
Turpentine

Yeah,
What happened to this? It was amazing
Old 16 May 2008, 12:51   #74
ppill

Forgot all about this thread...

Will upload the files to a different website as soon as I find them (which may take a while )
Old 16 May 2008, 12:55   #75
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@ppil

www.guildserver.co.uk/projects your account is still there for the hombre project LOL
Old 16 May 2008, 12:59   #76
ppill

Ahh yes. Now only if I could find these files...
Old 16 May 2008, 17:55   #77
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0 View Post
@guys

I have been reviewing some work that Narmi has done with the 1MB Kickflash (adding another 512KB to the kickstart)
What's this and how does it work?

google yielded only OS4 results.
Old 19 May 2008, 22:09   #78
ppill

Links seem to be working again. Enjoy!
Old 19 July 2008, 21:52   #79
dword

Can someone link the files which include the modded bootdisks? its just the ones from that filesharing place are dead

Cheers retro, everythings working great especially with those links on the other thread! just edited so newbies can see the last post as being a valid link.

Last edited by dword; 20 July 2008 at 02:50.
Old 19 July 2008, 21:53   #80
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

http://www..com/file/48194471...icWB_LITE.html