English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 12 December 2018, 14:42   #1
_ThEcRoW
Amiga NetRunner

Cannot see the whole 16gb on cf

Hello all. I followed the guide and made sure i have scsi.device loaded, but when getting into hdtoolbox in order to partition it, i only see 2 partitions of 4gb more or less(8gb in total, but cannot see the 16. Inititally i wanted to use a 500 mb partition for system and the rest for programs. Of course im using pfs3aio file system. At the moment i'm trying to get it going in winuae, then putting the cf card in the aca for booting.
Anyone can point me to what could be the problem?.
I used the guide from here: https://16bitdust.wordpress.com/2015...nuae-and-pfs3/

Thanks in advance!!!
Old 12 December 2018, 21:48   #2
-Acid-

Try my latest guide [ Show youtube player ].
Old 13 December 2018, 08:42   #3
thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ThEcRoW View Post
Anyone can point me to what could be the problem?
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=61666 -> The 7,87GiB limit
Old 13 December 2018, 11:17   #4
_ThEcRoW
Amiga NetRunner

@acid will watch the video when i finish with work. @thomas i'm using the correct scsi.device (version43.45), and loaded with loadmodule, so hdtoolbox should be showing the proper sizes.
Old 13 December 2018, 11:42   #5
Jope
-

Quote:
@acid will watch the video when i finish with work. @thomas i'm using the correct scsi.device (version43.45), and loaded with loadmodule, so hdtoolbox should be showing the proper sizes.
Did you also verify with
Code:
version scsi.device
that it was properly loaded?
Old 13 December 2018, 12:15   #6
_ThEcRoW
Amiga NetRunner

Yeah, when checking the version its listed as 43.45, so i think it's the correct device loaded, but hdtoolbox doesn´t show the full size. On another hand, i tried with hdinst tool and could get the partitions ok, i mean the first of 500mb and the second with the rest of available space, but they didn't appeared on workbench, so i did again all the steps and tried from the start with hdtoolbox and i'm stuck at the moment with 8gb lost in limbo.
Old 13 December 2018, 16:36   #7
Jope
-

Ok, did you also calculate the real sizes of your partitions based on the geometry of the partition times (heads * spt * cylinders * 512)?
Old 13 December 2018, 16:55   #8
d3cka2d3pwood

Hi Crow,
I think its the version of 'HDInstTools' you are using.

See [ Show youtube player ]
4.50 into the video.
Old 14 December 2018, 11:11   #9
_ThEcRoW
Amiga NetRunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3cka2d3pwood View Post
Hi Crow,
I think its the version of 'HDInstTools' you are using.

See [ Show youtube player ]
4.50 into the video.
I checked but i'm using the same version. It´s strange, but i can't seem to get it working. Maybe, as last resort would try to partition it in linux, that i heard it is capable of partitioning amiga disks, then format them in winuae.
Old 14 December 2018, 11:34   #10
_ThEcRoW
Amiga NetRunner

I follow the steps described in that video, but partitions don't appear on reboot. It's driving me nuts already. Still working on it.
I managed to get it showing the partitions on reboot, but as the program says the second partition is of 14gb(i use a partition of 700 mb more or less for the system), when going to format it, it says is only 2,24 gb. I checked and i have the correct scsi.device loaded as well.

Last edited by _ThEcRoW; 14 December 2018 at 11:44.
Old 14 December 2018, 14:28   #11
d3cka2d3pwood

Hmmm strange... I bet its driving you nuts, I know exactly how you feel.
I'll have a look into this for you in a bit more detail tonight when I have a bit more time.
Have you formatted the card using diskpart and followed the guide from the start?
Old 14 December 2018, 17:38   #12
_ThEcRoW
Amiga NetRunner

@d3cka2d3pwood

Yeah, i initialize it with diskpart and when formatting for example in windows it formats ok to 16gb, so i think the card is ok. I have been looking for the suggestion posted by Jope, but im not so sure how to proceed as the cf is flash memory and don't know the equivalent in sectors/block like a hard drive.

If you come later with another idea or suggestion will be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 14 December 2018, 20:18   #13
thomas

A sector on a flash drive is the same as a sector on a hard drive: a chunk of bytes, usually 512, sometimes 4096 for extraordinary large drives.

Tracks and cylinders also have the same meaning for flash drives and for hard drives: none at all. Both device types are addressed using SCSI or ATA commands using a logical block address.

In AmigaDOS they only exist in order to let you divide your drives into larger chunks than sectors. And at the same time choosing an appropriate cylinder size helps you to achieve certain alignments.

Anyway, I suspect that you installed the CF card using the old scsi.device and only installed an OS and the new scsi.device later. Therefore I suggest to re-install the drive from scratch and this time load scsi.device V43 before you run HDToolbox.

Or, if you don't want to erase existing partitions, use this program: http://aminet.net/package/disk/misc/fixhddsize

In case both of the above do not help, run this program and attach the report here so that we can have a look: http://thomas-rapp.homepage.t-online.../hddreport.lha
Old 14 December 2018, 21:01   #14
_ThEcRoW
Amiga NetRunner

Hello thomas, i ran hddfix and reported the following:
The drive has 31293360 blocks of 512 bytes each (15279 MB).

So i thinkl it is all well with the card. The problem is when doing the partitions, as the first partition of less tan 1 gb always show up, but the second with all the space get recognized que formatting as 1.2 or 2.2 gb. This has happened trying at first with hdtoolbox, and on another try, i cleared the card with diskpart in windows and started again, but using hddinst utility, but the same, the second partition always get the wrong size when triying to format it.

P.D: I tried also to set the cylinders manually as suggested by other people, but hdtoolbox refuses, as always revert the values into his defaults.
Old 14 December 2018, 21:54   #15
thomas

Quote:
but the second with all the space get recognized que formatting as 1.2 or 2.2 gb.
Who says so? If you refer to the Workbench 3.1 window title, it cannot display more than 4 GB. If there is more than 4 GB free space, it will display a number smaller than 4 GB (the remainder of dividing the actual space by 4 GB).

Quote:
P.D: I tried also to set the cylinders manually as suggested by other people, but hdtoolbox refuses, as always revert the values into his defaults.
You have to press Enter or Tab in each input field you changed. Otherwise the new value is ignored.
Old 15 December 2018, 19:06   #16
_ThEcRoW
Amiga NetRunner

@thomas
So, are you saying that even it showing 2gb could be it really the 14gb remaining in there?. Would be problems when copying files over the 2gb workbench is displaying?. I will investigate more on it.
Old 15 December 2018, 19:59   #17
thomas

Quote:
Would be problems when copying files over the 2gb workbench is displaying?
No problems. Once it touches 0 it will jump to 4 GB.

However, some programs do the same mistake and even worse, they use signed integer variables. So instead of numbers between 0 and 4GB they see numbers between -2GB and +2GB. They might refuse to copy files to that partition if the remaining space ranges between -2GB and 0.
Old 18 December 2018, 17:44   #18
d3cka2d3pwood

Are you using smartfileystem/SFS? When I use this partition sizes show larger than 4GB.
Old 18 December 2018, 18:35   #19
thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3cka2d3pwood View Post
Are you using smartfileystem/SFS? When I use this partition sizes show larger than 4GB.
No, it's surely not SFS which makes this happen. The file system always returns the correct size using number of blocks and block size. It's only Workbench which tries to calculate number of bytes from this and overflows because the value exceeds 32 bits.

If you see the correct amount of space in the title bar of Workbench windows, then it's the version of the OS you are using, not the file system.

If you see the correct amount in other places, then it's the other software you use, each program individually. There is no global fix for the 4GB issue.
Old 19 December 2018, 10:24   #20
d3cka2d3pwood

OK thanks Thomas. You know your stuff as I've seen plenty from you before but in the video 5:16 in... it shows the size of the 2nd partition as 7,378,944?