English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Music

Old 29 July 2016, 23:40   #1
DemosongIHunter

"Voices8" 8 Channel Soundtracker "DemoSongI" song - "This is the Amiga with 8 Voices"

Hi, l originally thought this was an Oktalyzer song but it's actually off the "Voices8" 8 Channel Soundtracker by Shining Crew.

There was a demo song on it called "DemoSongI" or "Demosong1".

It was absolutely mindblowing, and had a vocal hook that went "This is the Amiga with eight voices".

Does anybody have that version of the 8 channel soundtracker? Or can anybody point me to it? I need the version with that song (l accidentally wrote over the song all those years back).
Old 30 July 2016, 00:14   #2
emufan

on renoise forum you (?!) talk about Amiganuts - on the ftp, there are some amiganuts mod archive disks. and a catalogue disk aswell. maybe you can track down the disk in question, or find the mod on the disks.
voices-8 you can find on the ftp.
just found an old usenet posting, stating, voices-8 might be the predecessor of oktalyzer..

Last edited by emufan; 30 July 2016 at 00:26.
Old 30 July 2016, 10:51   #3
DemosongIHunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by emufan View Post
on renoise forum you (?!) talk about Amiganuts - on the ftp, there are some amiganuts mod archive disks. and a catalogue disk aswell. maybe you can track down the disk in question, or find the mod on the disks.
voices-8 you can find on the ftp.
just found an old usenet posting, stating, voices-8 might be the predecessor of oktalyzer..

Hi thanks for your help. I have seen the Voices-8 lha before, but it doesn't have the song i was after. Very strange. It should have it, but doesn't.

The song, as l keep saying, was mindblowing and l swear it burns every other mod made on the Amiga (but then, l would say that).

Hmmm ... as for Renoise, the less said about that the better. The software is buggy and turns music into a deskjob. I made the mistake of checking out the dead IRC channel. Only 2 people there. Soullie, the guy who runs EatMe.pro, was giving out racial abuse against Indians (his musician profiles across the net say that we should not harm others, because we are only harming ourselves bla bla). The other guy, Toblerpone PMed me to say "You are a n!gger", after telling me to check out, under false pretences, a website showing a man being raped to death by a horse (he died in hospital from the injuries according to the summary text). I was gangstalked on the forum by the few people that use the software, because i asked questions about how to make a song in 5 minutes, and about God. These guys believe music must be all hard [desk] work and they hate God which explains why they don't get the concept of inspiration, which cuts desk work in half. So, in the end, l called them Nazis after being goaded by a guy (Alex Fellows) who did most of his music projects with a black guy (Asher Dust) (he was goading me when i pointed out that i was being called a "n!gger"). So much for Renoise. By the way, "Renoise" is a racist slang term for a black person in the French vernacular. Oh damn, like l said, the less said the better. I don't want to speak about Renoise, but what i've said suffices me.

Last edited by DemosongIHunter; 06 June 2017 at 04:19.
Old 30 July 2016, 11:00   #4
DemosongIHunter

Soullie = David Soullie.

It began when i criticised the Prodigy for turning their backs on techno rave and thus jilting what they would later call "the jilted generation". I got abuse just for that (from shitty glitch techno artists - if i want glitch i'd buy a broken CD player). And the moderator dblue got mad at me for not reporting abuse, which was evidently a worse infraction than the actual abuse. Ship of fools and that's the truth.

OpenMPT all the way
Old 30 July 2016, 11:06   #5
DemosongIHunter

Anyhow, the song was created on 8CHNL aka the 8 Channel Soundtracker by Shining, aka Voices-8.

It looks a bit like Oktalyzer. Tbh i think 8CHNL had better sound quality, but slightly lower functionality. But as you may expect, files were totally incompatible between the two. That's the sad legacy of those days - as many file formats as actual programs, and none of them compatible with each other.

So hmmm ... anyway, l'm after a version of Voices-8 that has a demo song on it called "DemoSongI" or "Demosong1", and it's absolutely mindblowing, a mix of techno and guitar FX, and even a cool piano intro, with a vocal hook that says "This is the Amiga with 8 voices". I swear you've never heard anything like it nor ever will, for the Amiga. And tbh it still rocks today and is better than most of the music around today (says i).
Old 30 July 2016, 13:12   #6
emufan

disturbing story, sorry to hear that.

on the amigascene ftp there are folder of "Shining" - did you have been looking there?
Shining_8 and Shining - not the filename you are lokking for, but maybe under another one?!

and index file of the archive is also there: amigascne-index.txt

the only archive of voices-8 is the one mentioned above - same is on the amigascene ftp. cannot find any other atm.
Old 30 July 2016, 15:21   #7
DemosongIHunter

Hi there, thanks for the links i'll check them out soon (l try not to use the internet on my Windows OS, so i'll d/l the mods and then transfer them to Windows).

Remind me also to rummage through my .WAV files, as l believe l recorded the song onto cassette (using the tiny mic on my old cassette player / radio!). If l find it, l'll convert it to mp3 then upload it to picosong.
Old 30 July 2016, 15:23   #8
DemosongIHunter

By the way, which would you say is the most comprehensive Amiga mod library on the internet? I'm looking for something that covers music from 1988-1992 at least, and going up to around 1995. I'm specifically interested in dance music mods.
Old 30 July 2016, 16:07   #9
emufan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemosongIHunter View Post
Remind me also to rummage through my .WAV files, as l believe l recorded the song onto cassette (using the tiny mic on my old cassette player / radio!). If l find it, l'll convert it to mp3 then upload it to picosong.
hope you can find it, want listen to it aswell

Quote:
By the way, which would you say is the most comprehensive Amiga mod library on the internet? I'm looking for something that covers music from 1988-1992 at least, and going up to around 1995. I'm specifically interested in dance music mods.
i think amp - Amiga Music Preservation - is the biggest for amiga.
modland also worth a look - demosong search - modland ftp site.
but there is also pouet.net - where you can find scene productions.
Shining also got listed with it's productions - but no mention of Voices-8.

Last edited by emufan; 30 July 2016 at 16:13.
Old 30 July 2016, 17:46   #10
DemosongIHunter

Quote:
hope you can find it, want listen to it aswell
Success!!! I've located and spliced and MP3-ed my cassette-to-WAV recording of the DemosongI.

Notes: It was recorded on a really low-fi mic on a really old cassette recorder (old even in the early 90s).

The song itself doesn't use actual sampled loops - the piano section at the start, and the guitars etc. are all samples that are MIDI sequenced. The guitar is amazing and the FX it goes through were done via note parameters. Unbelievable. Same with the warping of the vocals.

I'm not sure why the vocals were so muted.

I think the song was made in 1988-1991 sometime

It'd be nice to get a hold of the actual mod, because you have to hear the original to appreciate it best, but l believe this mp3 conversion of a WAV recording of a cassette recording will suffice to convey to you the awesome power of ....

D e m o s o n g I

VERY IMPORTANT NOTE:

Picosong.com 's streaming pages have zero ads, but beware when downloading an audio clip. Do NOT click on the link where it says "Click here to download song". Instead, if you really want to download it, press the Download link, and where it then says "Click here to download song", just right click --> Save as. If you click that link instead, it takes you to one of those annoying sponsored advert webpages which are all dodgy.

Oh and a final note: Crank your volume right up

Quote:
i think amp - Amiga Music Preservation - is the biggest for amiga.
Cool. I checked that site out earlier and l cannot get past the first page for each letter on the mod catalogue? I guess it's because l'm on Linux or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emufan;1103609[URL="http://www.exotica.org.uk/wiki/Special:Modland"
]modland[/URL] also worth a look - demosong search - modland ftp site.but there is also pouet.net - where you can find scene productions.
Cool thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by emufan;1103609[URL="http://www.pouet.net/groups.php?which=977"
]Shining[/URL] also got listed with it's productions - but no mention of Voices-8.
Thanks. Voices-8 was the name of the 8 channel soundtracker, which was also known as 8CHNL or 8CHN.
Old 30 July 2016, 18:19   #11
emufan

just downloaded - i never heard that before. i would remember the vocals

i found Voices_8 on a LSD Legal Tools #81 - there is a song modul on that disk MED8CH2.o
since it is the only tracker on that disk - i think it is a Voices-8 song.
but still i cannot make voices-8 loading the song, a bit buggy.
Old 30 July 2016, 18:44   #12
DemosongIHunter

Dude i was just wondering. Remember that Voices-8.lha link you posted earlier on this thread, l just realised i've never tried an .lha before, only .adf files.

I have Cloanto AmigaForever, and l don't think l can load .lha files. I certainly don't see a way to do it.

Instead, l have loaded Workbench 3.0 or something, the one with lots of icons and tools. I used the LHA unzipping tool there (l transfered the .lha filed by dragging it from my Windows desktop into the Cloanto AmigaForever emulator window), and extracted a filed called Voices-8.exe. I then saved that to a memory card and then pasted it back into my Windows desktop.

Alas, l cannot think what to do next with the .exe file, as it's certainly not a Windows OS executable. Any ideas?
Old 30 July 2016, 18:49   #13
emufan

the Voices-8.exe is an amiga program, just start it in your amiga emulation.
i guess you have to choose emulating kickstart / workbench 1.3 - it does not work
as expected under wb/kickstart 3.x

winrar can also extract these lha archive - just in case you are using it already.

btw: i managed to load the song from the LSD #81 disk into voices-8 now, but it looks corrupt, after loading.
it does not play the song.
just setup a workbench/kickstart 1.3 machine ( a500 ) 1MB chip ECS chipset, and boot the LSD #81 diskimage.
Old 30 July 2016, 18:50   #14
DemosongIHunter

I cannot find any option to open an .exe file with Cloanto Amiga Forever, are you familiar with that emulator? I'm pretty sure it's WinUAE-based so if you can run an .exe file, then l should also be able to run one.
Old 30 July 2016, 18:56   #15
emufan

Quote:
I cannot find any option to open an .exe file with Cloanto Amiga Forever, are you familiar with that emulator? I'm pretty sure it's WinUAE-based so if you can run an .exe file, then l should also be able to run one.
i think you can just drag and drop on the emulation window, or choose the exe as "df0:" - it will be accessible in emulation on the df0: drive.
but i'm not 100% sure here.
Old 30 July 2016, 20:05   #16
DemosongIHunter

Thanks. I figured it out. I have to insert the .exe into my floppy drive while the emulator is running Workbench, then restart. Silly really, it should be possible right from the start, without a reset.

Anyway, long live DemoSongI.
Old 30 July 2016, 21:37   #17
emufan

ok, good news. were you able to load the song on the LSD #81 disk?
Old 31 July 2016, 17:16   #18
DemosongIHunter

Hi, thank you but the LSD disk has the 8-channel soundtracker, but the only song on it is something that doesn't even load on the 8-channel soundtracker. I find this quite odd, because it's in the native songs folder.

Have you tried any of these programs yourself?
Old 31 July 2016, 18:08   #19
emufan

Quote:
Hi, thank you but the LSD disk has the 8-channel soundtracker, but the only song on it is something that doesn't even load on the 8-channel soundtracker. I find this quite odd, because it's in the native songs folder.

Have you tried any of these programs yourself?
tested just Voices_8 - the song failed to load.
this song on the lsd disk also fails to load with octalyzer.

but look what i wrote about Oktalyzer in the "mods with voives" thread:
Quote:
Oh hi Sune, please please please can you show me where to get the version of Oktalyzer that has "DemoSongI" on it?
Oktalyzer you can find on the ftp.
Oktalyzer v1.53 (1991)(Verlag Mayer)(Disk 1 of 4)[cr EP].zip comes with
"tar-demo-song1" but it sounds different, but there are more songs on those disks.

Oktalyzer v1.1 (1989)(Verlag Mayer)(Disk 1 of 2)[cr Maksoft Group].zip comes with "demosong1"
but still not sure it is the right one - i cannot hear the vocals the songs uses only 6 voices:/
Old 31 July 2016, 18:24   #20
DemosongIHunter

Hi yeah, l was confused as to which program the Demosong was from.

Sune (in the section you quoted) said it was Oktalyzer and l went with that.

However, l then realised it was actually Voices-8 / 8CHNL / 8 Channel Soundtracker by Shining. I'm 98% certain it was that, rather than Oktalyzer.

Viva DemoSongI !!!