English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 09 February 2012, 20:51   #1
Jerry

PS2/usb mouse adapter

I want to build my own amiga mouse adapter. My current plan is to use the design from http://aminet.net/package/docs/hard/mouseps2. But it would be even better if I could connect usb mice directly. Is there already a project for this or do I need to use an additional ps2->usb adapter?
Old 09 February 2012, 21:18   #2
thomas

You solder an USB connector to your PS/2 converter. There are many such devices sold on Ebay as "Amiga USB mouse adapter". But you are limited to USB mice which can also "talk" PS/2. USB-only mice will not work.
Old 09 February 2012, 21:38   #3
Jerry

Yeah, you're right. I forgot that those adapters are mere electrical parts without logic.
So this should be easily hackable (I hope).
Old 10 February 2012, 00:45   #4
voyager
The show must go on.

Send a message via MSN to voyager
I used Tom Kirks PIC code see my topic

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=61161
Old 10 February 2012, 09:05   #5
Jerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyager View Post
I used Tom Kirks PIC code see my topic

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=61161
Cool idea putting the pic circuit directly into the mouse. I am a bit hesitant because that way you cannot change the mouse so easily. On the other hand it has been several years since my last house broke down, so it my be an option and saves the hassle of creating a box for the circuit.
Old 10 February 2012, 11:48   #6
voyager
The show must go on.

Send a message via MSN to voyager
You don't have to put in inside the mouse, you can also put in a external box if you like. But the code from Tom realy works well.

http://www.tgkirk.110mb.com/ps2mous.htm
Old 10 February 2012, 12:52   #7
clauddio
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyager View Post
You don't have to put in inside the mouse, you can also put in a external box if you like. But the code from Tom realy works well.

http://www.tgkirk.110mb.com/ps2mous.htm
this adapter supports mouse wheel?
Old 29 February 2012, 19:07   #8
Jerry

So I build the ps2m one because I had a PIC16F627 here and I liked the idea of not having to use an extra oscillator. Unfortunately, it works only with one 3 button ps2 mouse. A 3 button+wheel/ps2 mouse does not work also none of my ps2 compatible mice work. So I guess somehow the extended protocols do not work.

Has anyone by any chance build this adapter and had similar problems?

I will try the ps2mhiiri modifications next, but I think, these are mainly hardware modifications. But I will have to do these anyway because the right mouse button does not work for me...

In the long run, I would give Tom Kirks design a chance but I guess I'd first have to check how well/quickly it can be translated to a 16F627 pic...
Old 18 April 2012, 10:30   #9
Jerry

I now have built the hiiri modification which worked with the same mice as the original layout. After adding pullup resistors to the clock and data lines finally also usb mice with ps2 support do work.

Oh, the joys of being able to use an optical mouse...

I'm still thinking about using one of the newer pics that have usb host support. That way it would be possible to have real usb mouse support and maybe also use usb gamepads in one neat device...
Old 08 May 2012, 10:25   #10
wuselfuzz

I recently fitted a cheap PS/2 mouse with a pic16f628 and the ps2m firmware, but unfortunately, it only almost works fine:

Left/Right/Middle mouse buttons all work, however, pressing the right and left mouse button together does not work. This is quite inconvenient if you want to get into Early Startup (-> connect old broken amiga mouse just for pressing both mouse buttons, then connect the optical mouse again...).

I connected the mouse (well, another one, but exactly the same brand/type) to a linux box to check if it's a mouse issue, but pressing both buttons does work there.

Did anyone observe something similar?

The mouse is a cheap Logitech MX250.