English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 30 October 2014, 11:22   #21
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Don't get me wrong, it's worth testing out and at £30 really not bad value.

The OS it's self runs really well and the browser is better then anything on 3.9

It will work fine on the Voodoo, just not at lol resolutions.

(I just wouldn't change your whole system to accommodate it)
Old 30 October 2014, 12:28   #22
BarryB
Amigaholic

Once it's released and I've seen peoples opinions I might revisit based on that, so it's on hold for now! Wondering if, like the OP, if WinUAE will be able to support the whole range of features to test it out in that, might be an alternative?
Old 30 October 2014, 12:32   #23
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryB View Post
Once it's released and I've seen peoples opinions I might revisit based on that, so it's on hold for now! Wondering if, like the OP, if WinUAE will be able to support the whole range of features to test it out in that, might be an alternative?
Emulation is already very good, I'm sure it will be developed further but to a point. I think the real feature it needs which is Radeon Graphics is not possible or very unlikely. You don't get the full OS4.1 experience with an Emulated Picasso IV.
Old 01 November 2014, 02:17   #24
B14ck W01f
m68k all the way

I already got AmigaOS 4.1 Classic and I am considering getting Final. But if you installed all the updates (which I already burnt onto CD), is it really worth getting this?
Old 01 November 2014, 13:55   #25
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by B14ck W01f View Post
I already got AmigaOS 4.1 Classic and I am considering getting Final. But if you installed all the updates (which I already burnt onto CD), is it really worth getting this?
The updates in FE wont be available as free update. So you wont get the features of FE unless you buy it.

Well thats how I understand it.
Old 02 November 2014, 11:56   #26
Michael
A1260T/PPC/BV/SCSI/NET

So, is it for the classic, for A1 or for all available boards all in one package ?
Also being FE, this means 4.2 will be a new purchase, and it will be hopefully also available soon.
Possibly without the classic line, and FE is the last for the classics?
Old 03 November 2014, 18:11   #27
DarrenHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
So, is it for the classic, for A1 or for all available boards all in one package ?
Also being FE, this means 4.2 will be a new purchase, and it will be hopefully also available soon.
Possibly without the classic line, and FE is the last for the classics?
For AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition there are different CD's for each platform. One for AmigaONE's, one for Classic, etc. So when you buy it you will have to specify which platform you want. This was the case with AmigaOS 4.1 and 4.0 as well.

There has been no timeline on when 4.2 would be released and no information on 4.2 for Classics. They did talk about possible 4.2 features like Gallium for 3D and multi-core support, both of which likely would not apply to Classic, though.
Old 04 November 2014, 15:24   #28
themamboman

I've used OS4.1 in WinUAE on several systems so far. It's very usable, but I wasn't trying to play PowerPC games. I may try them next.

The fastest CPU I've had a chance to use is my desktop AMD FX-8350, which is equivalent to a fast i5, and it works very smoothly on the things I tried.

I just hope that support for better gfx cards becomes available one day. Final Edition should be worth the upgrade.

As someone mentioned earlier, they have a different disc for each supported platform. One of the Hyperion Reps said they didnt' have time to make a single, integrated installer right now. Also, it's probably helped them keep their sales up, as some people rushed to torrent sites to find only one flavor of AmigaOS4.1 online, and it wasn't the one supported by WinUAE.

Last I saw, AmigaKit had finally gotten in CDs for all supported types.
Old 15 May 2015, 13:15   #29
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by themamboman View Post
I've used OS4.1 in WinUAE on several systems so far. It's very usable, but I wasn't trying to play PowerPC games. I may try them next.

The fastest CPU I've had a chance to use is my desktop AMD FX-8350, which is equivalent to a fast i5, and it works very smoothly on the things I tried.

I just hope that support for better gfx cards becomes available one day. Final Edition should be worth the upgrade.

As someone mentioned earlier, they have a different disc for each supported platform. One of the Hyperion Reps said they didnt' have time to make a single, integrated installer right now. Also, it's probably helped them keep their sales up, as some people rushed to torrent sites to find only one flavor of AmigaOS4.1 online, and it wasn't the one supported by WinUAE.

Last I saw, AmigaKit had finally gotten in CDs for all supported types.
OK, happy to pay but which one do I want for WinUAE? I dont see Classic FE at Amigakit???
Old 15 May 2015, 13:19   #30
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Methanoid View Post
OK, happy to pay but which one do I want for WinUAE? I dont see Classic FE at Amigakit???
You want the Classic PPC version.
Currently no one has any, they didn't make a enough copies. So we are all waiting for a new production run.
Old 20 May 2015, 02:10   #31
rare_j
Zone Friend

They probably made enough copies for the hardware that's out there, not anticipating the demand created by emulation.
Old 20 May 2015, 15:40   #32
amilo3438
Amiga 500 User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
You want the Classic PPC version.
Currently no one has any, they didn't make a enough copies. So we are all waiting for a new production run.
Have you checked here:
http://www.vesalia.de/e_amigaos41fe.htm

Last edited by amilo3438; 20 May 2015 at 15:49.
Old 20 May 2015, 17:32   #33
Locutus

I guess the gray area is that Ralph Schmidt has said that CyberstormPPC ROM's are not allowed to be distributed only the update files are (http://amiga-news.de/de/news/AN-2015-03-00075-DE.html)

Tbh, i think its a tad silly to be on about it over 16 year old firmware images of a obscure hardware expansion.
Old 20 May 2015, 17:46   #34
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

They are not "true" update files, they contain full image in encrypted form.

It would be easy to extract unencrypted image from update file or enable them to run inside emulator with blank emulated flash rom. (Method I originally used to "dump" them).

Some of the flash updater files (I think it was BPPC only?) already run with empty flash if correct command line parameters are used (force CPU type etc).
Old 20 May 2015, 19:21   #35
Locutus

I'm not entirely surprised its easy enough to extract a usable dump from the updates.

Shipping only binary patches for something like a firmware update sounds like more of a headache then anything else (and with more risk involved at that).
Old 20 May 2015, 21:45   #36
amilo3438
Amiga 500 User

http://amiga-news.de/en/news/AN-2015-05-00044-EN.html

http://www.amigaos.net/content/4/where-buy