English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.FS-UAE

Old 20 February 2012, 00:54   #121
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
Did that as well, with both .conf and .fs-uae extensions. Still nothing. And I'm running Windows XP btw.
Sorry, seems I mostly answer Mac-related questions

OK, here is another possibility (relevant for Windows). If you create the fs-uae.conf-file with Windows Explorer, it is possible that the actual file name becomes fs-uae.conf.txt (a major annoyance with Explorer, IMO). If you go to Explorer settings, you can disable "Hide extensions for known file types" to have Explorer show/manage the full file names (if this was the problem).

Quote:
One request I would actually like to ask for future versions, is to have the directories in the actual emulator folder. Personally I never liked it when emulators create their file directories in the Documents folder (something that even WinUAE does, unfortunately). I always found that to be bit messy. I think It's nicer to have everything inside the emulator folder, instead.
I'll put in a feature in the next version where you can override this in the config file for all directories (you can currently prevent creation of most of the directories already by specifying all values in [paths] manually, but not all).
Old 20 February 2012, 01:02   #122
Conundrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodeSolheim View Post
Sorry, seems I mostly answer Mac-related questions

OK, here is another possibility (relevant for Windows). If you create the fs-uae.conf-file with Windows Explorer, it is possible that the actual file name becomes fs-uae.conf.txt (a major annoyance with Explorer, IMO). If you go to Explorer settings, you can disable "Hide extensions for known file types" to have Explorer show/manage the full file names (if this was the problem).
Did that as well mate. First thing I did, as a matter of fact. Is there anything particular i have to do inside the config file? like deleting the asteriscs before each line or something? I tried both without results.

One more thing I forgot, the emulator actually loads kickstart 1.3 if i put it in the roms folder. I searched everywhere for some kind of default config though, but couldn't find it. So I take it it's the program's own default settings.

Quote:
I'll put in a feature in the next version where you can override this in the config file for all directories (you can currently prevent creation of most of the directories already by specifying all values in [paths] manually, but not all).
Frankly it would be lovely if we could configure evyerthing while running the emulator just like console emulators do, or at least have some sort of config file wizard. I'm loving the fs-UAE GUI so far, because it's really intuitive, but sometimes we do need some bits of the technical complicated stuff just like just like WinUAE.
Old 20 February 2012, 01:11   #123
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Did that as well mate. First thing I did, as a matter of fact. Is there anything particular i have to do inside the config file? like deleting the asteriscs before each line or something? I tried both without results.
Yes, the hash-symbols means the line is a comment, and example.conf is not usable as-is. Here is a minimal fs-uae.conf:

Code:
[amiga]
model = A500
kickstart_file = c:\\amiga\\amiga-os-130.rom

[media]
floppy_drive_0 = c:\\amiga\\somedisk.adf
Quote:
One more thing I forgot, the emulator actually loads kickstart 1.3 if i put it in the roms folder. I searched everywhere for some kind of default config though, but couldn't find it. So I take it it's the program's own default settings.
Yes, FS-UAE defaults to A500 mode, and loads the kickstart if it finds it, so really, the most minimal config is more like:

Code:
[media]
Quote:
Frankly it would be lovely if we could configure evyerthing while running the emulator just like console emulators do, or at least have some sort of config file wizard. I'm loving the fs-UAE GUI so far, because it's really intuitive, but sometimes we do need some bits of the technical complicated stuff just like just like WinUAE.
I see the, well not so much the need, as the convenience of having a configuration UI -But I think it is better implemented outside FS-UAE, like a separate configuration frontend / launcher. There is no technical reason why it must be part of FS-UAE, and being able to focus FS-UAE on "runtime issues" is better, I think! There are still more basic stuff to fix before "1.0" - working on better keyboard handling on Windows now, for instance - libSDL is a bit buggy, so I'm writing replacement code using rawinput.

Last edited by FrodeSolheim; 20 February 2012 at 01:26.
Old 20 February 2012, 01:31   #124
Conundrum

Code:
[amiga]
model = A500
kickstart_file = c:\\amiga\\amiga-os-130.rom

[media]
Just tried that. Copypasted it and all, doing only the necessary adjustements. Still not working. I guess I'll just wait for the next version then. Thanks for the help though.

Quote:
I see the, well not so much the need, as the convience of having a configuration UI -But I think it is better implemented outside FS-UAE, like a separate configuration frontend / launcher. There is no technical reason why it must be part of FS-UAE, and being able to focus FS-UAE on "runtime issues" is better, I think!
Then yeah, a config wizard might be the answer. It would be neat if this allowed a certain degree of user customization, such as a set of advanced options to create libraries that would automatically assign certain games to certain configs. Still, one thing that would be neat to do in the emulator itself, would be switching between configs, as it would be very handy for those interested in porting this to consoles. However this would require the emulation to be "off" by default, rather than autostart as it works now, thus perhaps a start button would be necessary to go along with it.
Old 20 February 2012, 18:40   #125
frostwork

I don't want to pollute this thread with my stuff, but as it's fs-uae related, I think its better to post a comment here, instead of opening a new thread.
I wrote a little gpl3 linux program "whdrunner" using fs-uae which allows you to launch zipped whdload games directly from commandline and therefore also from your favourite emulator launcher. you can find it here if you have some use for it:
http://www.frostworx.de/?p=432

patches & suggestions please via email (see included readme)
sorry for noise
Old 20 February 2012, 20:30   #126
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

Quote:
Fix posted: Version 0.9.8u2 for Mac OS X is posted at http://fengestad.no/fs-uae/
The Info.plist file was corrupted. Thank you for reporting the problem (also reported by Hungry Horace).
Ah ha, great stuff, thanks very much. It works fine now except there's no anti-aliasing. Perhaps this is because I've only got a puny Intel GMA 950 GPU with shared memory?
Old 20 February 2012, 23:08   #127
chiark
Needs a life

Bit of messing around this evening, much googling, and... I have my Macbook pro running Lion, with its display running at 50Hz on its native LCD, with full vsync in fs-uae, and ... It's beautiful.

Solution: switchresx. Create a custom display and displaymode by changing the pixel clock to give 50Hz, and... it works!

Outstandingly happy. This is just what I wanted
Old 20 February 2012, 23:31   #128
ant512

Is it possible to disable the floppy drive clicking sound, either via a config option or something like NoClick?

Edit: NoClick doesn't work, not that I really expected it to...

Last edited by ant512; 20 February 2012 at 23:42.
Old 20 February 2012, 23:43   #129
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostwork View Post
I wrote a little gpl3 linux program "whdrunner" using fs-uae which allows you to launch zipped whdload games directly from commandline and therefore also from your favourite emulator launcher
It's fun to see a small ecosystem starting to evolve around FS-UAE I haven't used WHDload any myself, but I'll check it out when i start playing with WHDload.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamkatcha View Post
Ah ha, great stuff, thanks very much. It works fine now except there's no anti-aliasing. Perhaps this is because I've only got a puny Intel GMA 950 GPU with shared memory?
Possibly, but what kind of antialias is missing? Bilinear filtering of the texture (is the "amiga picture" blocky), or is it FSAA that doesn't work (jagged lines on the "screen block" while entering menu mode)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiark View Post
Bit of messing around this evening, much googling, and... I have my Macbook pro running Lion, with its display running at 50Hz on its native LCD, with full vsync in fs-uae, and ... It's beautiful.

Solution: switchresx. Create a custom display and displaymode by changing the pixel clock to give 50Hz, and... it works!

Outstandingly happy. This is just what I wanted
Sound great -So I tried this myself, but ended up b"ricking" the Macbook. I got it working again booting in safe mode, but first try at creating a 1280x800@50Hz mode was quite unsuccessful... -If anyone has a working modeline for 1280x800@50Hz on a Macbook (not pro), please post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant512 View Post
Is it possible to disable the floppy drive clicking sound, either via a config option or something like NoClick?
I can put in a configuration option for this in the next release.
Old 21 February 2012, 00:05   #130
P-J

Quote:
It's fun to see a small ecosystem starting to evolve around FS-UAE
Then you'll be pleased to know that this is nearly finished :

Old 21 February 2012, 00:29   #131
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-J View Post
Then you'll be pleased to know that this is nearly finished :
Yes, this is what I'm talking about -Much better to leave configuration to external programs, such as this.

A short status on what has been done in the weekend, since 0.9.8:

* Use rawinput in Windows for keyboard support. Fixes some problems which was really bugs in libSDL (you couldn't press both shift keys at the same time for instance, annoying problem for playing Pinball Dreams..)

* Use some keyboard scancodes on other platforms to improve key mapping. Trying to positionally map keyboard keys better against amiga keys.

* Ported updated caps (IPF support) code from WinUAE. -Same caps code running on all platforms, makes use of IPF disk images compatible with upcoming netplay support.

* Netplay code has been improved, lag is now automatically reduced to minimal possible.

* Frame limiting code from UAE is disabled, new code in libfsemu - makes FS-UAE frame rate smoother in some cases, and necessary for netplay support.

Also working on, possibly for 0.9.9:

* Flexible remapping - map any host key / joystick event to any amiga keyboard / joystick event.

* Some new configuration options (floppy sounds, base dir setting (to override Documents/FS-UAE location))
Old 21 February 2012, 00:31   #132
ant512

Quote:
I can put in a configuration option for this in the next release.
Fantastic! I've been fiddling with FS-UAE and the app bundles from here and have got a self-contained emulator bundle working.

One thing I've noticed is that even if I uncomment the basic viewport config setting, the display still tries to auto-adjust to the screen content. Is this a bug, or am I missing something?
Old 21 February 2012, 00:38   #133
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant512 View Post
One thing I've noticed is that even if I uncomment the basic viewport config setting, the display still tries to auto-adjust to the screen content. Is this a bug, or am I missing something?
I tried it myself, and it's a bug in the documentation: use this instead to disable automatic scaling == fixed viewport:
Code:
viewport = * * * * => 0 0 752 574
(or change the numbers to your liking)

Code:
viewport = 0 0 752 574
was supposed to be a shorthand for this, but I now remember that this was a feature in fs-game-center (which expanded this to the full setting when writing fs-uae config files).

- So I'll either fix the README, or implement the shorthand version directly in FS-UAE also.

Last edited by FrodeSolheim; 21 February 2012 at 00:52.
Old 21 February 2012, 01:12   #134
kire_online

Nice work.
Old 21 February 2012, 01:36   #135
ant512

Quote:
Code:
viewport = * * * * => 0 0 752 574
Perfect! Thanks!
Old 21 February 2012, 02:12   #136
spotUP

Keep up the great work!!!
Old 21 February 2012, 02:31   #137
lesta_smsc

Quote:
I suppose you mean online multi-player? Well, I did not plan to, but then I started thinking about it, and now I think it may be done relatively easily, depending on how deterministic the emulation is -I will consider doing a prototype later.
If you do this! You will have made LOTS of people happy! We're still stuck on the Kaillera WinUAEXP lol... Can't wait. Will definately want to help test out - there may be a few others willing to help also...
Old 21 February 2012, 02:46   #138
Conundrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
If you do this! You will have made LOTS of people happy! We're still stuck on the Kaillera WinUAEXP lol... Can't wait. Will definately want to help test out - there may be a few others willing to help also...
This. Especially the Sensible Soccer community, which is plagued by WinUAEXP poor online capabilities. You'll be making a lot of people happy, considering there's about 9.000 active players according to sensiblesoccer.de. This excluding the general Amiga emulation scene, of course.
Old 21 February 2012, 20:08   #139
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodeSolheim
Possibly, but what kind of antialias is missing? Bilinear filtering of the texture (is the "amiga picture" blocky), or is it FSAA that doesn't work (jagged lines on the "screen block" while entering menu mode)?
The menu text looks nice and smooth, though the edges of the skewed Amiga display are a bit jagged.

The Amiga output when in full screen is also blocky as you'd find with PUAE or E-UAE.
Old 21 February 2012, 20:26   #140
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
The menu text looks nice and smooth, though the edges of the skewed Amiga display are a bit jagged.
The edges are greatly improved by the fsaa option, but might need a better/dedicated GPU.

Quote:
The Amiga output when in full screen is also blocky as you'd find with PUAE or E-UAE.
FS-UAE uses bilinear filtering in order to get good quality when scaling, but the amiga display is scan-doubled etc (effectively a 2x filter) to get nice "visible pixels" (as I prefer it ). Some have requested scanline support to smooth the display a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
It is actually working quite nicely -I have tried three-way games with a Windows client, Mac OS client and Linux client, and the synchronization seems stable The functionality is actually in the released FS-UAE, but I haven't published the server yet -I would like to have it a bit more tested before it is released. Perhaps I'll set up a "private beta" of some sort.

For those interested, there are some more net-play details here http://www.ultimateamiga.co.uk/index...c,9458.15.html

Last edited by FrodeSolheim; 21 February 2012 at 20:40. Reason: Added a link