English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 18 May 2010, 17:03   #1
trackah123
Amiga User

Amiga Forever 2010 is Released

Hi Guys.

I tried to search on the forums but forgive me if this has already been posted.

Amiga Forever 2010 is out! i just try to spread the word please get it to support them.

Quote:
Amiga Forever: What's New

New features in Amiga Forever 2010*:

* More than 100 usability improvements for a more refined and productive experience
* New user interface features to more easily change or add virtual disks, grab screens, etc.
* Enhanced integrated Workbench 1.3 and 3.X environments (new configuration settings, easy printing, etc.)
* New preset Amiga configurations, including CDTV and CD³²
* Extended RP9 format to support CD images (CDTV and CD³² content) and embedded configuration tags
* Enhanced RetroPlatform Library (to recognize and configure games, etc.) with live updates
* Enhanced Export to Device functionality to save games to SD card, etc.
* Now Playing data for use by Skype, Messenger, Twitter and similar plugins
* New Gallery content
* New system ROMs (e.g. some versions that were unique to the Amiga 3000)
* Officially tested to comply with "Compatible with Windows 7" requirements, with full support for Windows Vista and Windows 7, both x86 and x64 (possibly still the first and only Windows software with custom-shaped glass-enabled skin)
Old 18 May 2010, 18:40   #2
Amiga1992

zZzZzZzZ
Old 18 May 2010, 19:04   #3
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

yawn
Old 18 May 2010, 21:19   #4
trackah123
Amiga User

Why ZzzZZ and yawn? is it that bad?
Old 18 May 2010, 23:11   #5
Falcon Flight
evicted psycho

why would i support this load of crap?

the emu is right here: http://www.winuae.net/
the kick starts can be legally grabbed from original hardware
the games and apps are free
Old 19 May 2010, 00:40   #6
desiv

Actually, I'm glad it's out.
It's fine that the more technical people don't use it, as they don't need it.
But, there are people for whom this is a perfect way to get into Amiga emulation.

But I do loose some 1337 points for not slamming it... ;-)

desiv
Old 19 May 2010, 00:52   #7
Vairn
The Grim-Button

The apps and games are not "free", they're as "free" as most things on the internet though. Cause everything is "free" on the internet.

Amiga forever comes with Legit roms for people, because not everyone has access to a real Amiga, and it also has legal versions of Workbench, and some games and apps.
It is also not expensive, and Cloanto support the community which is still around.
Old 19 May 2010, 00:57   #8
gulliver
BoingBagged

@desiv

The problem is that since about 2005, Amiga Forever has been released each year, as a new product, with only very few minor improvements. It has become a dull remake of an old product.

I hope Cloanto invested a bit more in it, and actually bundle it with something new, that brings back the wow factor.
As an example, if they got a licensed copy of say Amiga Lightwave 3D 3.5, I know for sure lots of people despite having old versions of Amiga Forever would be surely interested in acquiring a new one that includes this new software.
Old 19 May 2010, 00:58   #9
Falcon Flight
evicted psycho

any fool can use WinUAE straight from the site. (hey i'm doing it)
set it up, configure it, it works perfectly.
nobody needs a bloated front-end like that.

even if you're remotely resourceful you can get anything you need.
you dont need to be "elite" i'm proof of that.
Old 19 May 2010, 05:43   #10
desiv

Except that all you have to do is look at the forum postings of people saying:

I can't find the rom things...
Where do I get wokbench...
etc...
etc...

There are lots of people who need more help, even tho WinUAE is easy..,
Heck, I saw a copy of Mac's for dummy's at the bookstore the other day...

Same concept.. :-)

It seems like it fills a niche that needs filling... And if they are still in business, I'd say they are doing something right. ;-)

Again, I think there are plenty of reasons for people who have no trouble with WinUAE to not bother with AmigaForever.... But I also think it's a good idea to have a nice (at least semi-)legal way to package this for some of the other users..

IMHO.. ;-)

@gulliver, Can't argue there... I haven't looked over the features (or lack thereof) in the versions, but that does sound like a good idea. I still think it's a good idea for some people to buy it, but you are probably right that there's not enough reason to upgrade.
(or at least they should make the upgrade much less expensive (he says not knowing how much it is) :-)

desiv
Old 19 May 2010, 06:08   #11
zipper

Well, having both Amiga Forever 2008 and Amikit installed I do launch 95% of time Amikit. For a lazy git it's nice to have things configured.
Old 19 May 2010, 06:46   #12
trackah123
Amiga User

I just like to have it collection-wise.
And yes its nice to have kickstarts and workbenches legit along with some other stuff. The premium package was nice with all the extra bits in it.

There is also IDE-FIX registered version in it. Along with other software registered.

Even when i already know how to use WinUAE, Amiga's etc and having the latest TOSEC Collection i still believe this is a nice Product to have/buy.

@gulliver

I kinda agree with you tho, they need something that makes it totally "WOW" again. But i can also understand that its hard for them to come up with something new that brings a WOW factor in the Amiga-world.

Honestly that makes me think maybe they should make a feedback-topic where people can suggest stuff for future versions of Amiga Forever.

@Falcon Flight

I certainly do not believe its crap, ok maybe its not really new anymore and its not ment for the "technical amiga-guru's" around here. But for people that just want to collect and/or new again after years going back into Amiga's this is a really nice start.

Same goes for C64 Forever, its pretty cool that they made that too.
Old 19 May 2010, 10:24   #13
rockersuke

I think Cloanto deserve to be praised for things they make right. Every now and again at spanish retro-computing forums someone appears asking for help to transfer software to naked Amiga 500 they have just bought. I always encourage them to buy, yeah, buy, Amiga Explorer. It's an excellent tool, the best I know for its purpose. Better, nicer and more newbie-friendly than public domain alternatives. It's been made by them and has a more than fair price. It's worth the money they ask for it.

But sincerely, I cannot say the same about Amiga Forever package. In my view, It's a blatant excuse to make an abusive use of the licence they got on Kickstars and Workbench software in order to make you pay for a freely distributable emulator. I honestly can't, and won't, support that bussines model, no matter how legal it is.

Not having legally available KS and WB to freely download for emulation is, in my humble opinion, one of the several reasons (and incidentally I'll talk about some other in another thread) that make classic Amiga activity seem to be dead when compared with other 80's machines groups which are alive and kicking. Cloanto's interests might be 100% legal, but that doesn't mean they are not causing real damage.

Perhaps, as has been suggested, It's time for them to search for a real buying inducing factor which could make AE an atractive investment without the WB and KS licencing issue, but I don't see that happening in short term, sadly.

--
Old 19 May 2010, 12:35   #14
gilgamesh
Linux snob

I don't think Cloanto does much damage. He licenses a set of Kickstarts and Workbenches. So far, so good. Their CD is overpriced imo, but that's not terribly bad, either.

The real problem is that the copyight owner (who ever that may be), does not decide to give it away for free. I don't think Cloanto has any influence on that.
Old 19 May 2010, 17:04   #15
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vairn View Post
It is also not expensive, and Cloanto support the community which is still around.
Hmm, not sure I would list that on the big plus side. It's quite expensive for a frontend while others are completely free. Yes, they license the KS and WB images, but that's not what they ask most of the money for (at least I don't hope so). No comment on the 'support the community' bit
If you like their product, buy and use it.
Old 19 May 2010, 17:07   #16
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

The only part of AmigaForever which ever interested me was AmigaExplorer which was an innovative bit of original software. Almost a "must have" for networked PC's & Amiga's. Makes transferring files very easy.

Unfortunately updates have dwindled to nothing.
Old 19 May 2010, 17:09   #17
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Can you buy Amiga Explorer on its own or do you have to buy the whole AF package?
Old 19 May 2010, 17:10   #18
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

You can buy it on it's own for €9

http://www.amigaexplorer.com
Old 19 May 2010, 17:13   #19
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Okay, thanks for the info.
Old 19 May 2010, 17:16   #20
desiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockersuke View Post
In my view, It's a blatant excuse to make an abusive use of the licence they got on Kickstarts and Workbench software in order to make you pay for a freely distributable emulator. I honestly can't, and won't, support that bussines model, no matter how legal it is.
But as you say, the emulator is "freely distributable", so you aren't paying for that.
You are paying for the licensed Kickstarts and Workbench and the "wrapping" to make it purty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockersuke View Post
Not having legally available KS and WB to freely download for emulation is, in my humble opinion, one of the several reasons (and incidentally I'll talk about some other in another thread) that make classic Amiga activity seem to be dead when compared with other 80's machines groups which are alive and kicking. Cloanto's interests might be 100% legal, but that doesn't mean they are not causing real damage.
So, they are causing damage to the community because they are selling something they have licensed, rather than just giving it away?

The only people it might be "damaging" are those who can't find the Kickstarts and WB files with google...

However, having a polished package for newbies or those who just want point-and-run or people who just want to be legal makes Amiga emulation that much nicer than what you find for other systems. I would consider this a positive, rather than something inducing damage to the community.

Now, would totally free Kickstarts and WB files be nice? Sure...
But Cloanto doesn't own them so they can't give them away.
If you have a complaint, it sounds like you have a complaint with the owner of the Kickstart and WB properties, and that isn't Cloanto...

IMHO..

desiv
p.s. I do agree with the price thing tho.. The more I think about it, I've almost bought it a few times, but it just is a bit too spendy for my.. I've bid on it a few times, but even the auctions have gone above my range.. I am "cheap" admittedly. :-) I did BUY a C64 emulator for my Pocket PC years ago, but it was $5. :-)