English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 04 May 2006, 22:26   #201
Bloodwych

Great DVD and the autorun menu looks absolutely awesome! Fantastic work!

I've noticed that bath EMUs now open in small windows rather than full screen like Snes9x used too. I agree this is the best option as users can then maximise the display once they've used the windows as a preview to the actual game. Works really well and having the two best emulators available is just the icing on the cake.

Knowing a SNES in my pocket would go down well, I took this into work today and fired it up in our lunch hour. Lets just say there were some nostalgic peeps gathered around the PC and they got well excited. Most have never used an emulator in their lives and hadn’t seen a SNES game in years! They were lapping it up and wanted a copy straight away! Some want me to bring joypads in tomorrow so we can have a competition on Mario kart! Fantastic!

Now some issues I’ve noticed:

The DVD works absolutely fine running from the DVD drive after setup, but I did have issues using the menu to copy files to the hard disk. It just said something about "invalid file" and 0 files being copied. I can’t get the menu to copy any files across to either the C, D, E or F drives listed. I’m also guessing after seeing this menu that we still can’t select the install path as it causes too many issues? I read the save files have to go on C: regardless somewhere in this thread too.

The setup menus can crash windows 9x if you try to exit them without using the internal menu system. Also brings up bad file or command name in the top left hand corner and complains about certain registry commands. No one really uses these old versions anymore but I just thought I’d test.

I like Saraks initial options he had on the autorun menu so you can launch the frontends (zSnes/or Snes9x) from the autorun menu. In fact, this seems the best option for launching the front ends when running from DVD. A shortcut is the best option only if the files are installed to the hard drive. Anyway, I’m nitpicking and it’s all a matter of opinion. The main thing is it works and I’ve already had hours of fun.
Old 05 May 2006, 00:28   #202
StarEye
Zone Friend

Yeah, recieved the updated DVD myself now, excellent stuff. Thanks alot!
Old 05 May 2006, 03:07   #203
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodwych
The DVD works absolutely fine running from the DVD drive after setup, but I did have issues using the menu to copy files to the hard disk. It just said something about "invalid file" and 0 files being copied. I can’t get the menu to copy any files across to either the C, D, E or F drives listed.
Forgive me guys, been out drinking tonight but will try to answer the questions / issues raised. My answers may be a bit hard to understand

Hey Bloodwych,

Thank you for you very kind comments, much appreciated my friend

...now onto the issues you were having:

I have tried this DVD on 4 x PCs / laptops now and all have worked 100%... There is only one requirement absolutely essential to this whole DVD. This is that you need to have the DVD drive set as the first available CD / DVD drive... I tried to work out how to have this "auto-detect" which of your CD / DVD drives the disc was actually in but in the end I failed... Long story...

Anyway, the errors that you speak of mean to me that either the DVD drive is not set as the first available of your CD / DVD drives or the drives that you have selected to copy everything to is not available (if this is not the case then please let me know).

You can do a test if you like? Run a command prompt, change to the DVD drive, then change into the directory \SNES\DESKTOP. You should find there's a file there called CD_DVD.CMD... If you run this it will detect the first CD or DVD drive found and assign this letter to %CD-ROM%. Now type SET and you will see a line that says "CDROMS=???". This will be your first CD / DVD drive found and SETUP.EXE will use this alphabetic value when copying everything to any HDD partition. If this found letter is not actually the drive where the DVD is inserted then all copying will fail as it calls on this letter

Quote:
I’m also guessing after seeing this menu that we still can’t select the install path as it causes too many issues? I read the save files have to go on C: regardless somewhere in this thread too.
Yes, unfortuantely given the complexity of having 2 different emulators available (one "registry" based and the other "file" based) it was only possible to have a common ROMS directory (assigned to Z: via subst) and one common SAVES directory (set to C:\SNES\SAVES\SNES9X and C:\SNES\SAVES\ZSNES respectively). Saying that, I probably could have gotten this working with the "registry" based emulator, the real issue is the "configuration file" based emulator Zsnes. The problem being "how can you input a user's selected path into a .DAT file that's mumbo-jumbo" (take a look at \SNES\EMULATOR\ZSNES\zguifcgw.dat through Notepad to see what I mean)

Quote:
The setup menus can crash windows 9x if you try to exit them without using the internal menu system. Also brings up bad file or command name in the top left hand corner and complains about certain registry commands. No one really uses these old versions anymore but I just thought I’d test.
Unfotunately I cannot say what will happen on any PC / laptop that is not Window 2000 / Windows XP as I don't have a PC / laptop with Window9x to test on anymore... The registry files are Window 2000 / XP specific

I just hoped that anybody in this day and age would have nothing prior to Windows 2000. Saying this though, I know that there are still a few very minor exceptions...

Quote:
I like Saraks initial options he had on the autorun menu so you can launch the frontends (zSnes/or Snes9x) from the autorun menu. In fact, this seems the best option for launching the front ends when running from DVD. A shortcut is the best option only if the files are installed to the hard drive.Anyway, I’m nitpicking and it’s all a matter of opinion. The main thing is it works and I’ve already had hours of fun.
No, by all means please be "nitpicky". This is the feedback I really want...

Yes, sarek2ks suggestion of having the autorun menu launch the frontends for either emulator is a good one. The only thing with this is that there is quite alot of stuff behind the scenes that needs to happen in order for this to run smoothly. Plus if you had the options there on the autoplay and the user did not go through SETUP then it will not work as no settings have been made to allow this...

Desktop shortcut... It doesn't matter if you run this from the DVD or any of the given choices for HDD partitions, the desktop shortcut will be copied across correctly and point to the required drive letter... The only reason that the desktop shortcut would not get copied across successfully is same as above i.e. the DVD drive is not set as the first available CD / DVD drives. Everything depends on this, I guess I should have made it very clear in the README...

However, if anything I've said above is not true on the PC / laptop you've tried this on then please let me know.

Bloodwych, thank you again for your time in providing excellent feedback and questions. I only hope that I've answered them adequately. If not then please let me know.

Best regards

Last edited by DamienD; 05 May 2006 at 13:13.
Old 05 May 2006, 06:50   #204
sarek2k
E.A.B Addict and Proud

Send a message via MSN to sarek2k
@DamienD i've had another bad day m8 not even got round to testing the dvd again i had a quick look at it i promise i will look again tommorow i am in such a mess with my new puter and getting stuff from my old one i am in a right state!

@Bloodwych thank you for your kind comments it's S_A_R_E_K not sarak And i am really glad your pushing DamienD on this cause he made me work my nuts off on the graphics Everything had to be symetrical etc lol
Old 05 May 2006, 08:20   #205
Bloodwych

Sarek, name mistake noted.

Damien, thanks for the detailed responses - especially at that time in the morning and after a few drinks!

Anyway, yes you are correct. I did already read about the first drive having to be the DVD drive but it slipped my mind while testing, just like Sareks true name.

I had another go on my single drive machine and it worked fine. Most people have only one drive so this should be a rare issue. I just happen to have a CDRW and DVD on secondary. In fact, my main setup is perhaps different to 99% of other peoples PCs (multiple optical drives, dual boot, several partitions on large HDs etc) so it's not the best testing environment if you want to go by the average person, which this DVD is aimed at!

As for the Windows9x comment, as I said I just tested it out of interest and agree very few will be running this older OS. I am a harsh tester!

Anyway, me and my work colleges salute you sir! Today I'm bringing in my game joypads as mentioned earlier for a quick Mario Kart session at lunch.
Old 05 May 2006, 11:35   #206
StarEye
Zone Friend

Quote:
Sarek, name mistake noted.
Most people have only one drive so this should be a rare issue. I just happen to have a CDRW and DVD on secondary.
You tried changing the drive letters?
Old 05 May 2006, 13:25   #207
DamienD
Banned

Hey guys,

Back... and a feeling alot better than what I was last night when I posted the reply. LOL

I've edited this morning's post in the hope that it makes a bit more sense now

It's a real shame that I was unable to get the "auto-detect" of the CD / DVD drive in which the disc is loaded working... This would have been cool

Also, I really should have added an extra page to the README.EXE that says something like "Requirements" and has the following:

... Windows 2000 / Windows XP
... If you have more than one CD / DVD drive in your PC / laptop, make sure that the drive in which you plan to use this CD / DVD from is the first available otherwise the SETUP will not work correctly.

It is very easy to do. I will do this tonight and post the updated "README.EXE" file

Did anybody else test their DVDs? Any comments / issues?

Best regards.
Old 05 May 2006, 20:54   #208
Bloodwych

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarEye
You tried changing the drive letters?
Yes that would work in my case for Damiens DVD, but I was testing and offering comments with the average user in mind (that's who the DVD is aimed at).

Average PC users wouldn't have bothered or thought of swapping windows default drive letter settings so it does need to be stressed in the readme. As already highlighted, most average people only have one optical drive however so it shouldn't cause too many issues. That's all I was getting at.
Old 05 May 2006, 21:57   #209
StarEye
Zone Friend

Well, those who don't know how to or even think of it are either way over 60 years old, or have a friend/familymember who knows what to do. There are more intimidating settings on the actual emulator, so I think this won't be a problem.
Old 05 May 2006, 22:00   #210
Bloodwych

I see where you're coming from Star Eye, but how would they know that the drive letter was the issue if it's not in the readme?
Old 06 May 2006, 00:05   #211
StarEye
Zone Friend

Look up the source of the disc and end up on this forum where we tell them?

Hehe, I'm just kidding, it IS good to have in the readme.
Old 06 May 2006, 00:33   #212
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
I see where you're coming from Star Eye, but how would they know that the drive letter was the issue if it's not in the readme?
Very true

Quote:
...and it will be

Don't really know why I didn't add this into the README in the first place, very silly

Been out tonight with a friend who's in town from Brussels so haven't had the chance to make the changes. Will do this tomorrow guys and post the file...

It's probably worth documenting how to change drive letters as well i.e. right-click on My Computer, select Manage, select Disk Management from under Storage etc...
Old 06 May 2006, 09:31   #213
Bloodwych

Quote:
Look up the source of the disc and end up on this forum where we tell them?

damn, we could have gone on for ages like the wood chuck wood argument from monkey island!

Thanks Damien, hope you had a good time out and thanks for polishing up the final release. I think you really are at the finishing post now! Run for the line!
Old 06 May 2006, 13:09   #214
DamienD
Banned

Hello guys,

All done

Hopefully I have managed to give the user enough information on how to change drive letters. I ran out of space on the page so wasn't able to go into as much details as I would have liked to have...

Attached is the zipped up "modified" README.EXE file and some screen shots of each page.

Of course if you are going to put this into your DVD then it needs to be copied over the existing README.EXE file located in the directory \SNES\README.

Please let me know if you think it's adequate?

Best regards

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Readme_01.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	10968   Click image for larger version

Name:	Readme_02.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	10969   Click image for larger version

Name:	Readme_03.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	10970   Click image for larger version

Name:	Readme_04.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	10971  

Last edited by DamienD; 10 July 2018 at 20:24.
Old 09 May 2006, 03:59   #215
sarek2k
E.A.B Addict and Proud

Send a message via MSN to sarek2k
Hi DamienD

finally got round to testing your DVD on my NEW noisey computer Amd 64 3500, 1 gig ram, Pci Express graphics card which is faulty and has to go back (6600) after a week of running this PC the graphics card noise is a little reduced and i can cope with it (The fan is hitting the plastic outter casing hence causing the noise) however it's like a paddle fan (like a water wheel, rather than a fan above the graphics cpu if you know what i mean!)

Anyway as per your request i tested snes9x again and this time it works a lot better, it now seems to run an awfull lot better the sound is bad at the start because it's set that way to start with via the options 8bit quality blah blah! (could you not have ramped that up a bit to at least 16bit mono 44khz or summat and increased the buffer size of 8 ms cause even a shit pc these days will cope better than that even a celery )

I tried my fave pilotwings and i set some graphics options as i had a tiny window to play game i have not figured what all the options do but it is running smooth compared to what it was on the P4, i don't know whether it's an Amd optimized version you've included in the package or what but on the p4 it's an awfull experience! just for the record for any one comparing i had a p4 "prescott" Lga 775 processor running at 2.8ghz with retail fan i now have an Athlon 64, 939 running at i do believe 2.2ghz on other games like cnc zero hour i have noticed little if any difference!

A lot of my m8's who swear by AMD have gone from 32bit Amd Athlons upto 3.2 ghz however Any Amd 64 bit is gonna bury them where as a P4 2.8ghz isn't such a slouch it's self!

I'm no guru on hardware but i do know about fpu's etc and cache making a big difference like you get on Amd Sempron vs an Athlon or indeed 64 bit versions and the same between pentiums and celery's

Going back to the sound issues at the start if the sound is choppy crap 8 bit quality etc by default your market you aimed at (the point and click people) are gonna be very dissapointed and think the emultor isn't gonna work right even if they have an amd 4000 or a pentium 3.6ghz dual core etc!

People who want to run an emulator from a DVD and do nothing at all to the settings don't deserve to run it! Even if we could figure a way to sort it, would be 200 copies on ebay straight away so is it such a good thing??? put it this way we all have to learn to run emu's, sort out controller configs etc, Is no easy way however you cut it!

anyway thats my ramble over for tonight!

just 1 final thing my new saying : If you make things too easy for people they will abuse it!

Last edited by sarek2k; 09 May 2006 at 04:11.
Old 09 May 2006, 10:05   #216
Macca
Zone Friend

I think the 'too easy for people' is the entire point of this DVD.

After speaking with Damien he didn't want to allow his DVD to be messed up just because the users of it weren't too affay with the technology that they are using.

In my opinion having it simple is the best way to go - it opens up a lot of doors to people who wouldn't be able to use them otherwise (I take WinUAE for example - one of the hardest emulators to setup as a novice - especially with diskchanges, setting up hard-drives, etc.) and hence Gamebase Amiga will help a lot with this kind of thing.

I certainly won't be putting any copies on Ebay, etc. and if any copies do appear on there it's pretty easy to figure who put them on there and then exclude them from the future DVD releases.

The sound issues also may be related to sound card incompatability or drivers - I haven't really looked into it yet. I'll finish the DVD I'm doing then take a good look at it.
Old 09 May 2006, 12:50   #217
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarek2k
Anyway as per your request i tested snes9x again and this time it works a lot better, it now seems to run an awfull lot better the sound is bad at the start because it's set that way to start with via the options 8bit quality blah blah! (could you not have ramped that up a bit to at least 16bit mono 44khz or summat and increased the buffer size of 8 ms cause even a shit pc these days will cope better than that even a celery )
Very interesting... Obviously I cannot check it as I'm currently at work but I'm pretty positive that I set the audio to 16bit stereo 44khz and incorporated this into the "best" options. Don't think I changed the sound buffer as there was no need to, it works perfectly on both my "low" end laptops and 3 others PCs of various spec that I've tried on...

Quote:
I tried my fave pilotwings and i set some graphics options as i had a tiny window to play game i have not figured what all the options do but it is running smooth compared to what it was on the P4, i don't know whether it's an Amd optimized version you've included in the package or what but on the p4 it's an awfull experience! just for the record for any one comparing i had a p4 "prescott" Lga 775 processor running at 2.8ghz with retail fan i now have an Athlon 64, 939 running at i do believe 2.2ghz on other games like cnc zero hour i have noticed little if any difference!
A tiny window to play game... This is Zsnes and you must be running it directly from the DVD. Because of this only the default "straight out of the box" settings are applied as obviously you cannot have the user choose and then update the 2 config files on the DVD.

With both emulators there is only 1 type of Windows version, nothing for different CPUs etc...

Quote:
Going back to the sound issues at the start if the sound is choppy crap 8 bit quality etc by default your market you aimed at (the point and click people) are gonna be very dissapointed and think the emultor isn't gonna work right even if they have an amd 4000 or a pentium 3.6ghz dual core etc!
Again I'm pretty positive that I set the audio to 16bit stereo 44khz and incorporated this into the "best" options. Will take a look when I get home tonight...

Quote:
People who want to run an emulator from a DVD and do nothing at all to the settings don't deserve to run it! Even if we could figure a way to sort it, would be 200 copies on ebay straight away so is it such a good thing??? put it this way we all have to learn to run emu's, sort out controller configs etc, Is no easy way however you cut it
I disagree with you there. I actually run Snes9x straight from the DVD and everything works perfectly. I'm sure there will be other users who would like to do the same either because they have space issues or a work PC or whatever...

The whole point of this DVD is to make things as easy as possible for users who have no emulator experience. It completely up to that user whether or not they copy it to the HDD or run it straight from the DVD.

With Snes9x you can run everything from the DVD and still setup all the "best" options + controllers due to it being registry based. It's only with Zsnes that you cannot do this due to the configuration being file based...

Does anybody else have these issues sarek2k seems to be experiencing???
Old 09 May 2006, 13:04   #218
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macca
I think the 'too easy for people' is the entire point of this DVD.
Exactly

Quote:
In my opinion having it simple is the best way to go - it opens up a lot of doors to people who wouldn't be able to use them
It is simple to use but does set all the "best" options for the user IMHO.

Quote:
The sound issues also may be related to sound card incompatability or drivers - I haven't really looked into it yet. I'll finish the DVD I'm doing then take a good look at it.
Agreed Macca.

@sarek2k: it has to be something with your PC and incompatibility with the emulators. Have you tried downloading Snes9x or Zsnes, installing / running it? You will probably have the same issues

Like I have said above I've tried this on 2 "low" end laptops + 3 PCs of varying specs and no problems what-so-ever... I think that if you are to solve these problem / issues you may need to either e-mail the authors or visit the forums of each emulator. The emulators have not been updated in a while and may just not work on the new AMD CPU that you have... I would love to be able to assist you more but unfortunately I'm not really sure how else to help. Sorry

Macca and all others who have the DVD: When you get the chance I would really appreciate it if you did spend some time checking out the final DVD and let me know if you also experience anything undesired

Last edited by DamienD; 09 May 2006 at 13:20.
Old 09 May 2006, 14:31   #219
Macca
Zone Friend

I will do mate - I'm having an indepth look at Zelda at the moment <g>

Seriously though I'll do all the testing today I haven't found any real problems up to yet.

Just for the record (for sound problems) I'm using a Soundblaster Audigy 2 - not sure what you are using Sarek if it's the same then that would help?
Old 09 May 2006, 15:02   #220
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
I will do mate - I'm having an indepth look at Zelda at the moment <g>
Cheers

Quote:
Just for the record (for sound problems) I'm using a Soundblaster Audigy 2 - not sure what you are using Sarek if it's the same then that would help?
Hmmm, very interesting. Snes9x or Zsnes? Was 8bit set when selecting the "best" options for each emulator?

I'm using the inbuilt sound cards that are on my Toshiba 4600 Satellite Pro and the IBM ThinkPad T30. Will you tell you the exact models when I get home. Can't remember what cards were used in the 3 various PCs