English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 21 May 2018, 18:37   #161
Nounouss33

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberhead97 View Post
I have re-factored Build EAB WHDLoad Install into Build Install Entries for a more broad support, so it should also support WHDLoads from WHDownload and KGWHD even though I'm not sure if anyone use them at the moment. They use the same filename convension, which adds the support for them.

At the same time I have added best version filtering based on identical entry name and rank calculated from conventions used for WHDLoad filenames. It now gives the user selection between following entries sets:
  1. All: Install all entries.
  2. Best-Version: Install best version of identical entries.
  3. Best-Version-Lowmem: Install best version of identical entries for low mem Amigas (unexpanded chip mem only or low fast mem e.g. 1-2mb).
Best version means Build Install Entries will pick the highest ranking entry per entry name, hardware and language. This is also done for lowmem WHDLoads, which basically means these entries will get a higher score, if they have words like "chip", "lowmem" and memory size words like "512k" also gives higher score than "2mb".

I have attached some screenshots of the new re-factored Build Install Entries, showing the added entries sets and extended support for handling multi language entries.

Then I have done some testing with PFS/3 image template "4gb_hdf_rdb_dh0-100mb-pds3_dh1-3.4gb-pds3.zip" and got following results installing best version and best version lowmem entries sets:
  1. Install: Entries set = Best Version. Hardware = AGA, OCS. Language = EN. Result = DH1 has ~61MB of 3.4GB free.
  2. Install: Entries set = Best Version LowMem. Hardware = AGA, OCS. Language = EN. Result = DH1 has ~73MB of 3.4GB free.
  3. Install: Entries set = Best Version. Hardware = OCS. Language = EN. Result = DH1 has ~542MB of 3.4GB free.
  4. Install: Entries set = Best Version LowMem. Hardware = OCS. Language = EN. Result = DH1 has ~542MB of 3.4GB free.

The is the goal I was aiming for with introduction of best version and best version lowmem entries sets being able to install "all" games on a 4GB HDF image.

So far I only have Windows version done and next is refactoring python version for macOS and Linux users.

This will be part of upcoming v1.2.0-BETA5 release.
Hi Cyberhard97,
Now that i was successfull in using the BETA4 self-installed 16gigs image, i decided to go for your main program and build my own image.
However there's oviously an issue when it comes to handling user packages :

1) I have ensured that the directories names for games and demo have the correct name :

C:\temp2\userpackages\eab-whdload-demos
C:\temp2\userpackages\eab-whdload-games

All demos and games subdirectories have been copied here like i did for the self-installed image.

2) I select option 6 => configure user packages
3) I select option 1 => Change user packages
And i choose C:\temp2\userpackages
4) The directory name is correctly reflected in main display
5) then i choose option 2 => Select user packages Menu
6) I choose option 1 => Select "Select all"
And here comes the problem : In main display, "Install user packages" does not change, it keeps to "None".

So i cannot select user packages to install. Is it expected ? Is it something which is not yet handled in Beta4 ?

Thanks again for this incredible stuff, and last but not the least, I just took the 16gig self-installed HDF files which was successfully installed a few days ago, and transferred it to my mister FPGA : It works

If you can help on the main program issue with user packages that would be cool

Thanks again !

Last edited by Nounouss33; 21 May 2018 at 18:46.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 21 May 2018, 20:22   #162
cyberhead97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nounouss33 View Post
Hi Cyberhard97,
Now that i was successfull in using the BETA4 self-installed 16gigs image, i decided to go for your main program and build my own image.
However there's oviously an issue when it comes to handling user packages :

1) I have ensured that the directories names for games and demo have the correct name :

C:\temp2\userpackages\eab-whdload-demos
C:\temp2\userpackages\eab-whdload-games

All demos and games subdirectories have been copied here like i did for the self-installed image.

2) I select option 6 => configure user packages
3) I select option 1 => Change user packages
And i choose C:\temp2\userpackages
4) The directory name is correctly reflected in main display
5) then i choose option 2 => Select user packages Menu
6) I choose option 1 => Select "Select all"
And here comes the problem : In main display, "Install user packages" does not change, it keeps to "None".

So i cannot select user packages to install. Is it expected ? Is it something which is not yet handled in Beta4 ?

Thanks again for this incredible stuff, and last but not the least, I just took the 16gig self-installed HDF files which was successfully installed a few days ago, and transferred it to my mister FPGA : It works

If you can help on the main program issue with user packages that would be cool

Thanks again !
I haven't got around to write documentation for user packages yet, so I would expect some potential issues.

Does HstWB Installer list user packages at "5) then i choose option 2 => Select user packages Menu" something like this:
  1. Select all
  2. Deselect all
  3. + eab-whdload-demos
  4. + eab-whdload-games
  5. Back

Does your user packages "C:\temp2\userpackages" have a "_installdir" file? E.g. do you have the file "C:\temp2\userpackages\eab-whdload-games\_installdir"?

A user package must contain "_installdir" file for HstWB Installer to accept it as "_installdir" file tells HstWB Installer where the user package should be installed. If these are not present, then it could explain why you see "None" for install user packages after selecting all. The directory "Support\User Packages" in HstWB Installer contains all files incl. "_installdir" for EAB WHDLoads from Retroplay, if those are there ones you need.

Thanks for testing on your Mister FPGA and confirming that a 16GB hdf works there.

Last edited by cyberhead97; 21 May 2018 at 20:24. Reason: Removed double numbering for list
Old 21 May 2018, 21:24   #163
Nounouss33

Quote:
I haven't got around to write documentation for user packages yet, so I would expect some potential issues.

Does HstWB Installer list user packages at "5) then i choose option 2 => Select user packages Menu" something like this:
  1. Select all
  2. Deselect all
  3. + eab-whdload-demos
  4. + eab-whdload-games
  5. Back

Does your user packages "C:\temp2\userpackages" have a "_installdir" file? E.g. do you have the file "C:\temp2\userpackages\eab-whdload-games\_installdir"?

A user package must contain "_installdir" file for HstWB Installer to accept it as "_installdir" file tells HstWB Installer where the user package should be installed. If these are not present, then it could explain why you see "None" for install user packages after selecting all. The directory "Support\User Packages" in HstWB Installer contains all files incl. "_installdir" for EAB WHDLoads from Retroplay, if those are there ones you need.

Thanks for testing on your Mister FPGA and confirming that a 16GB hdf works there.
Thanks a lot for promptly answering.

Now you make it clear :

1) No The user packages are not listed when selecting all packages

2)
- I thought i just had to create the directory and put eab-whdload-games / eab-whdload-demos in it.

- Then i told myself that i should take scripts from 16g self-install image subdirectory "userpackages" place them in C:\temp2\userpackages and run the script (as i did for self-install image). That's what i did, but, indeed, _installdir files are missing.

How are they supposed to be created ? I can see that they are delivered by the 16g self-install image (and not created afterward). So obviously i'm missing a step to have this file in each sub-directory.

Would you be able to advise what i should do ?

Thanks again, and frankly this stuff is just amazing and a true gem for people having a few knowledge about installing an Amiga on hard drive, really !
Old 21 May 2018, 22:03   #164
cyberhead97

The easiest way of getting the files you need for user package directories "eab-whdload-games" and "eab-whdload-demos", is copy files from HstWB Installer "Support\User Packages" and copy the files to your user packages directory "C:\temp2\userpackages". It has all the files you need and should have same directory names "eab-whdload-games" and "eab-whdload-demos". Otherwise download HstWB Installer standalone, it also has the files in "Support\User Packages" directory.

Please try this and see if it helps.

Thanks, it's good to get feedback that it helps people uncommon to Workbench and setting up Amiga from scratch.
Old 21 May 2018, 22:41   #165
Nounouss33

Quote:
The easiest way of getting the files you need for user package directories "eab-whdload-games" and "eab-whdload-demos", is copy files from HstWB Installer "Support\User Packages" and copy the files to your user packages directory "C:\temp2\userpackages". It has all the files you need and should have same directory names "eab-whdload-games" and "eab-whdload-demos". Otherwise download HstWB Installer standalone, it also has the files in "Support\User Packages" directory.

Please try this and see if it helps.

Thanks, it's good to get feedback that it helps people uncommon to Workbench and setting up Amiga from scratch.
I tried both options and it perfectly works !!!!!! Thank you so much !!!!
It's definitively helping people uncommon to Workbench and setting up Amiga from scratch. There's nearly nothing to do, you made the perfect solution !!! I could not believe someone had spent so much time on doing this. You can't imagine how much time i've searched youtube and the internet, trying to mix different tuto and getting lost. Not that i don't want to learn Amiga, i will. But there are many people planning to run the Amiga on their FPGA and it's not that easy. Even not talking about people trying to do the same for their rapberry pi ..... I'm spreading the work on facebook about your nice tool. And i have planned to make a simple tuto for the Mister group. Thanks again !!!
Old 22 May 2018, 14:03   #166
cyberhead97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nounouss33 View Post
I tried both options and it perfectly works !!!!!! Thank you so much !!!!
It's definitively helping people uncommon to Workbench and setting up Amiga from scratch. There's nearly nothing to do, you made the perfect solution !!! I could not believe someone had spent so much time on doing this. You can't imagine how much time i've searched youtube and the internet, trying to mix different tuto and getting lost. Not that i don't want to learn Amiga, i will. But there are many people planning to run the Amiga on their FPGA and it's not that easy. Even not talking about people trying to do the same for their rapberry pi ..... I'm spreading the work on facebook about your nice tool. And i have planned to make a simple tuto for the Mister group. Thanks again !!!
Thats good to hear.

I'm have planned to build a wizard to help making optimal choice of image templates and packages to install as it can be a tricky process to determine for new users.

It will be something like:

Quote:
Step 1: What do you want to install?
1. Install Workbench from scratch.
2. Install packages or user packages for existing Amiga setup.

Step 2: Which Amiga do you have?
1. Amiga 500, 600, 1000, 2000, CDTV.
2. Amiga 1200, Amiga 4000, CD32.
3. Emulator.

Step 3: Which emulator are you using? (shown only if emulator is selected)
1. WinUAE.
2. FS-UAE.
3. UAE4ARM.
4. Amiberry.

Step 4: Which expansions do you have installed? (not shown, if emulator is selected)
1. None.
2. Accelerator card with fast ram.
3. Accelerator card with cpu, fast ram.
4. RTG card.

Step 5: Which Workbench setup do ou want to use?
1. Workbench 3.1.
2. Amiga OS 3.9.
3. ClassicWB.
4. HstWB.

... more to be added.
The choices from the wizard would then result in a sort of recipe for HstWB Installer. For install mode using HstWB Installer, all choices could result in preconfigured setup ready to run. For self install images it would compose a step by step guide with links to relevant tutorials.

It's on the drawing board and planned for v2.0.0, when I start development for that.

Refactoring of Build Install Entries scripts is now complete supporting Windows, macOS and Linux. This means I'm will start building and releasing HstWB Installer v1.2.0-BETA5 including an updated version of Amibian img for RaspBerry Pi with latest changes.

I'm quite amazed by the speed of python compared to powershell versions of Build Install Entries scripts. On my Windows PC python version is ~10 times faster than powershell.

Last edited by cyberhead97; 22 May 2018 at 14:04. Reason: spelling
AdSense AdSense