English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 11 January 2015, 15:46   #21
nittamituaki
Cd32+Fdd User (CFU)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey View Post
@nittamituaki - just to clarify - do you mean that if you don't give him the beer straight after the meat, he won't accept it? That's not intentional if so, he should accept it anytime after he has the meat. I will have a look at that and see what's going wrong.
Now I replayed and he received beer even if I give him it later...
I misunderstood something.
I'm sorry to give a false post.

PS. I could complete this game,too. Thank you.
Old 11 January 2015, 16:37   #22
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gzegzolka View Post
I do not know is this winuae problem or game itself, but hit-box for monsters are so damn big. It's hard to jump over those ladybugs in narrow underground corridors or when they are on small platforms - they always hit me. While those jumping mushrooms and bees do not give me any problems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRONCLAW

The collision detection is not very good IMO. I got hit even though I was not even close to touching the enemies. So, it doesn't use any pixel to pixel collision, just too big hit-boxes (it seems). I made a picture just to show the empty space between the player and enemy when I get hit and what roughly the hit-areas are (should be anyway): http://tinyurl.com/o9xgn5p
Agree, I also have a feeling that bugs hit me although I leap high enough above them. This must be solved.
Old 11 January 2015, 21:28   #23
spud

Looks like you've built a good engine here. I won't mention the collision detection (oops too late) but otherwise it plays very well. Cheers for providing it

Just one suggestion. If you have empty slots in your backpack can you make Maxwell pick stuff up without having to then move the selector to en empty spot or exit? It would make for a smoother experience. Ie, pressing down automatically plops the item straight into your pack and you can continue on your way without pausing to faff a little.
Old 11 January 2015, 21:34   #24
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

I think it is a good suggestion.
Old 11 January 2015, 23:27   #25
Graham Humphrey

Thanks everyone for playing this. I'm pleased a lot of people have enjoyed our work and it has definitely brought to light some things to sort out so thanks to those who have taken the time (here and elsewhere) providing their feedback, it has genuinely been very useful.

Gzegzolka - the extra health/lives feature I did consider, but I felt for this level, it was too small to really justify it and it isn't hugely difficult. However you may well see this happen in the future when the game is bigger.

Spud's suggestion is a very good one indeed - as you say, it stops faffing around and doesn't disrupt the flow. Consider that on the 'to do' list, thank you

The biggest issue by far seems to be the collision, which is causing some frustration. I've used Blitz's collision commands but they do seem a bit stingy so I might need to work on using my own collision routines to make it more accurate.

And finally, if someone has had the problem of the game starting without allowing you to collect items or talk to people and you're not using a CD32 pad, can you please let me know (if using WinUAE) what you were using in joystick port 2 so I can try and recreate it? It would make it easier for me to try and fix it.

Thanks everyone
Old 11 January 2015, 23:45   #26
Lonewolf10
AMOS Extensions Developer

It's good to see another Amiga game (demo!) available. I will download it tonight and hopefully play it tomorrow (I have the week off work).
Old 12 January 2015, 12:09   #27
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

http://www.indieretronews.com/2015/0...e-mystery.html

Done! Sorry it's late but we've been so so busy
Old 12 January 2015, 12:52   #28
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil79 View Post
http://www.indieretronews.com/2015/0...e-mystery.html

Done! Sorry it's late but we've been so so busy
Someone sat on your monitor, Neil
Old 12 January 2015, 12:55   #29
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

heh
Old 12 January 2015, 13:23   #30
s2325
Zone Friend

Old 12 January 2015, 13:37   #31
ransom1122

Great stuff guys. .. Love the tshirt
Old 12 January 2015, 19:44   #32
Graham Humphrey

Now that would be a cool t-shirt to have

Maybe time to start a range of merchandise
Old 12 January 2015, 21:44   #33
Lonewolf10
AMOS Extensions Developer

Shouldn't you wait until the game reaches cult status until you start creating merchandise?

(I love the t-shirt though)
Old 13 January 2015, 01:11   #34
clenched

Quote:

And finally, if someone has had the problem of the game starting without allowing you to collect items or talk to people and you're not using a CD32 pad, can you please let me know (if using WinUAE) what you were using in joystick port 2 so I can try and recreate it? It would make it easier for me to try and fix it.

Thanks everyone
At last! After gaining the upper hand on some plumbing trouble, I've had the opportunity to test this game. Played WinUAE 3, ADF, 2 axis one button joystick. I see the problem outlined in post #7 when using Kickstart 1.3. However the inventory, pickup, talk work fine if Kickstart 2 is used. Didn't try on real Amiga yet. The flickering monitor screen I thought was a nice touch.
Old 13 January 2015, 11:56   #35
s2325
Zone Friend

Comments on ppa.pl are mostly positive (which is rare there) http://www.ppa.pl/forum/komentarze/3...ery#komentarze
Old 13 January 2015, 12:37   #36
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Controls problem seems to appear for most players when you run the game for the very first time. It is probably caused by one library. So if this occurs, abort the game and run it again. It should work fine since.
Old 14 January 2015, 00:22   #37
Graham Humphrey

Yes, probably the same bug that caused problems with the Virocop WHD install that I read in another thread (well, that Predseda pointed me to).

But I've got around this as I've added an option on the title screen to choose between normal joystick control and the CD32 pad. And - as Ironclaw correctly pointed out in his video (thanks for being eagle-eyed!) - the collision issue was because I hadn't resized the ladybird sprites correctly, so there were loads of invisible pixels on them that registered a collision. This enemy was added quite late in place of a green one the same shape which I did resize so that was introduced almost at the end. Anyway, now fixed

So hopefully v1.1 will be on the site sooner rather than later, I've uploaded it for it to be placed on the site and will let you know when it has.
Old 14 January 2015, 00:42   #38
spud

I look forward to getting the update. The collision on the ladybird was always stopping me from proceeding past a couple of tricky screens towards the end (maybe?) Where they were both unavoidable more or less.
Old 14 January 2015, 09:24   #39
mihcael
Zone Friend

Quote:
So hopefully v1.1 will be on the site sooner rather than later, I've uploaded it for it to be placed on the site and will let you know when it has.
New version is available at http://maxwell.mikendezign.com/
Old 14 January 2015, 11:45   #40
Gzegzolka

What's new in 1.1?