English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 06 October 2010, 10:31   #41
Fingerlickin_B
Amiga Nut

I own 4x PSXs (one broken unit is for parts).

All of the THPS series are still extremely playable & my mates with newer consoles never complain & readily play them here.

However, some other games like Thrasher, Skate & Destroy totally suck...but then again, that one was NEVER good!

PZ.
Old 06 October 2010, 10:50   #42
BrooksterMax

I have mixed feelings on the PS One, I didn't own one at the time, but had a Sega Saturn and N64. A lot of my friends had them and I enjoyed the odd game or two - namely Pro Evo 1 and 2 which I thought was superior to any other footie game at the time but I didn't jump on to the bandwagon.

I now have a couple of consoles and have tried out some titles but I can't get on with it as a retro platform, it just does not sit right. The only console I feel happy with from that Era, is the 3DO and Sega Saturn because their games appeal to me more (e.g Cannon Fodder on the 3do and Sega Rally on the Saturn).

Still no denying that it was very popular and sold millions of those units all over the world, something must have been right!
Old 06 October 2010, 12:27   #43
Peter
Still an Amiga user

On my PSONE I often play, Colin McRae Rally, Toca 2, NBA Show Time, Mortal Kombat 3, Destruction Derby Raw, Tekken 3, Doom, Wipeout, Wrestlemania The Arcade Game - I also like the Time Crisis and Die Hard Trilogy games as the light gun works on my Philips CM8833 monitor!

I will never forget playing Tomb Raider on the PS1 for the first time but I admit, that game looks old now!

The PS1 is still an excellent machine - I regret not ever linking two original PS1's up as I bet the link up games, although primitive would have been fun!!
Old 06 October 2010, 12:45   #44
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

Linked DooM and C&C was great on the PSx in its day - a lot of fun =)

Although Mk3 was rather good - it does display the lack of memory the machine has - and how slow the implementation of memory was pulled to the screen - my favy character (Shang Tsung) was limmited to changing into only 3 other characters.

Since i knew off by heart all the characters, the specials and their finishing movies - I would play tsung all the time - thus compelely changing tactics during the fight... my opponent stood no chance at all - especialll when morphed into Shiva to stomp on their heads... ahhh fun times....

I will say that the SNES has the definitive version - Mortal Kombat 2 - and on that I can morph to any character =)

I still love Tomb Raider - and even for its incredible fuglyness its still has some key moments - like the diving into the water - the vastness of some of the levels is awesome!

but... its ulgy indeed.

Time Crisis / Die Hard / Point Blank were awesome shooter games!

I still play WipEout regularly on the PSx / PS3 - Teken 3 I was recently playing it on sundays against my brother - and I have to admit I really am a little tastey with Baek - although if he is playing eddie on a good day - it can be a bit of a nightmare =)
Old 06 October 2010, 13:00   #45
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
Yes, ePSXe supports higher resolution rendering with Pete's D3D/OGL plugins, but you need a fast PC for Ultra High settings.

Some screenshots
I use this all the time, it is fantastic with my USB PSX connector.
Old 06 October 2010, 15:22   #46
Baboon
Moon Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
I also like the Time Crisis and Die Hard Trilogy games as the light gun works on my Philips CM8833 monitor!
I forget about the light gun games! Times Crisis and Point Blank were awesome with the G-Con 45!
Old 06 October 2010, 15:32   #47
Peter
Still an Amiga user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0 View Post
I still love Tomb Raider - and even for its incredible fuglyness its still has some key moments - like the diving into the water - the vastness of some of the levels is awesome!
For me, old Lara jumping into the water on an early Tomb Raider demo disk from a PS1 magazine was the moment I realised that video games had really, really shifted up a gear...
Old 06 October 2010, 16:29   #48
rsn8887

Quote:

but... its ulgy indeed.
Have you ever played Tomb Raider Anniversary on the PS2? It is a remake of Tomb Raider with enhancement gfx. Very enjoyable!
Old 06 October 2010, 17:17   #49
deicidal
Registered Insane

Quote:
I still play WipEout regularly on the PSx / PS3 - Teken 3 I was recently playing it on sundays against my brother - and I have to admit I really am a little tastey with Baek - although if he is playing eddie on a good day - it can be a bit of a nightmare =)
Wipeout is lovely, I still remember one of the dev meetings we had and one bright comment was how come with the f1 game it doesnt feel like your travelling really fast while wipe out you do, errr f1 car many polygons wipeout vehicles very few, f1 tracks based on the real thing wipeout tracks made up, go do the math litterally.
Old 06 October 2010, 21:09   #50
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Quote:
Linked DooM and C&C was great on the PSx in its day - a lot of fun =) I still play WipEout regularly on the PSx / PS3 - Teken 3 I was recently playing it on sundays against my brother - and I have to admit I really am a little tastey with Baek - although if he is playing eddie on a good day - it can be a bit of a nightmare =)
Linked C&C was good fun. I enjoyed it despite having my arse constantly handed to me In Tekken 3 I used to be very handy with Lei WuLong. Eddie is a cheap button basher's character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
For me, old Lara jumping into the water on an early Tomb Raider demo disk from a PS1 magazine was the moment I realised that video games had really, really shifted up a gear...
I remember jumping in the water for the first time as well and being absolutely blown away.
Old 06 October 2010, 21:31   #51
cv643d

I am going to get a PSX soon, but there are some nice games in the library. Destruction Derby, NFS1 and NFS2 for example are superb on the PSX (NFS1 is great on the Saturn too, though Destruction Derby sucks on the Saturn).

There is quite a lot of shit 3D-games, but I am fascinated with the early 94-95 games.
Old 06 October 2010, 21:33   #52
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsn8887 View Post
Have you ever played Tomb Raider Anniversary on the PS2? It is a remake of Tomb Raider with enhancement gfx. Very enjoyable!
I have both versions, but still prefer the original.
Old 06 October 2010, 21:36   #53
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

I can highly recommend the 360 version of Tomb Raider Anniversary.
Old 06 October 2010, 21:46   #54
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Yep, it's good. It was nice to play a decent Tomb Raider again after all these years!
Old 06 October 2010, 23:11   #55
phipscube
WipEout Fanboi

I still have many PSx games that I still play on my PS3 and I consider them still pretty awesome to look at as well as play, heres a a few I really like and think look good still: -

Any WipEout Game (especially Wip3out)
Ridge Racer Type 4
Ridge Racer (Hi Spec demo)
Burning Road (I think this is an awesome Daytona rip off and looks great!)
n2o (Totally amazing GFX and Music by The Crystal Method)
R-Type Delta
Disruptor
Jumping Flash 1 and 2
Tempest X3

And the best of all?

Vib Ribbon. simple line GFX but such an amazing style and play.

I loved my PSx days in the 90's along with my Amiga 1200. for me the PSx was up there with my best times as a gamer.

I built my own arcade cabinet to house 2 linked PSx units back in 1996, It had Recaro Cars seat (10 quid each out of a scrapped Ford Capri), 12 speakers (2 subs under each seat), 6 each player powered by 2 individual amps, 2 tv's, 2 steering wheels, pedals etc. Player 1 machines GFX and Sound output could be switched over to the second players screen and amp for two player single machine games like Tekken, or back seperated for link up games like Doom, Ridge Racer, WipEout etc. Oh I wish I had the space to make one for my PS3. Heres how it looked:-

Had some great nights of mad gaming with friends in that crazy system
Old 06 October 2010, 23:28   #56
Peter
Still an Amiga user

THAT is dedicated gaming...!!!!!
Old 07 October 2010, 01:30   #57
deicidal
Registered Insane

@phipscube

Thats brilliant
Old 07 October 2010, 06:33   #58
ami_junkie

I have to say that for me the Saturn seems to have aged better than the PSX, one of the great things about the Saturn was that it could do HiRes Laced 3D - when you play some of these games like Virtua Fighter 2 and Winter and Summer sports games the Saturn looks pretty good on a high def tv. But when you play the 2D games you really see where the Saturn was on another level compared to the PS1.

Old 07 October 2010, 07:04   #59
Fingerlickin_B
Amiga Nut

@phipscube: AWESOME!!!!

PZ.
Old 07 October 2010, 10:28   #60
mikele

Wasn't it during PSX and Saturn's heyday when consoles became solid alternative to modern PC gaming? As far as I remember in the 90s it was cheaper to buy PSX instead of getting my PC equipped with accelerator, upgraded RAM (anyone remembers that drastic price increase ?), not to mention having to deal with horrible windows95. Playstation just worked out of the box and the games library was huge and impressive as well.

Despite blocky textures I'd love to play Grand Turismo 2, Ridge Racer 4 and many others again.