English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 26 December 2008, 15:55   #1
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Automatic scaling testing (from beta thread)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Does not (cannot) work with all programs. Why did I finally do this? Because "magic mouse" sync mode required position of display start and end and it was more or less the same was required for automatic scaling.. And also because filter internal algorithms are finally good enough. And it is (was) Christmas
Thank you very much for this Christmas present Just had a quick look with a few games and all seems fine so far (640x480 fullscreen and the whole screen is used).
Old 26 December 2008, 16:15   #2
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Looks like a great update Toni.

Quote:
Perhaps there should be button in quickstart panel to disable or enable autoscaling because not everyone likes blurry display to become the default..
That's true.
Old 26 December 2008, 16:34   #3
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

Thank you Toni for this great feature : automatic display scaling! .
Old 26 December 2008, 16:49   #4
thomas

Quote:
automatic display scaling!
- Autoscale setting is not saved into config file. It is always on after loading a config.
- Scaled picture does not fit on screen. Top left is fine but bottom right is off screen.
- when dragging the Workbench screen, it is stretched instead of moved, i.e. the top stays where it is and the bottom is moved down.

Quote:
- Null filter is default and non-filter mode is not anymore possible.
I don't like this. Makes everything horribly slow. Workbench needs three times longer to boot.
Old 26 December 2008, 16:58   #5
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

I notice no delay with enabled Null filter (without auto-scaling), i.e. the ClassicWB boots with the same speed as before.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 26 December 2008 at 17:47.
Old 26 December 2008, 17:32   #6
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
- Autoscale setting is not saved into config file. It is always on after loading a config.
This is my way to force everyone to test it.

Quote:
- Scaled picture does not fit on screen. Top left is fine but bottom right is off screen.
This:
Quote:
- the better this gets the more comments I get.. (which means screenshot and complete name and/or CRC32)
Quote:
- when dragging the Workbench screen, it is stretched instead of moved, i.e. the top stays where it is and the bottom is moved down.
This probably can never be properly fixed.

Quote:
I don't like this. Makes everything horribly slow. Workbench needs three times longer to boot.
I expected this which is one reason I didn't want to do this earlier. Generally any modern (as in at least PCI) display card should handle this without slowdowns.

Does it happen even if you use quickstart setting without default.uae and without any scaling? (PC specs?)

This needs to be solved because I refuse to return to old method because it makes everything too complex.

EDIT: checked log? it can get really slow if something writes to log continuously.

Last edited by Toni Wilen; 26 December 2008 at 17:39.
Old 26 December 2008, 17:34   #7
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Moved from beta thread. I think this thread can grow really big..
Old 26 December 2008, 17:37   #8
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Forgot my post Toni...
Old 26 December 2008, 20:05   #9
Marcuz

there's some garbled thing here about autoscaling: i'm sorry if cannot be clearer, but i've understood it poorly myself.

If you change from Full Screen to D3D (possibly to all the other filters, as they scale in different way) it may keep the "null Filter" settings in the new environment, instead f the new one.

It happens in both modes fllscreen and windowed; to test it:

let's play a bit with autoscale enabled; > F12 > disable autoscale > test it (you'll notice size and position of the screen) > F12 > reinable it, play a bit then again F12 and set Direct3D: the position of the screen is not the one you would have if you would first slect D3d and then autoscale.

Then if you play a bit again, switching to no filter at all, you may have bouncing screen as result (quickly switching between 2 different positions)

In the attached logs i quitted the emulation when one of such flashing things occurred (and there should be trace of the misplacing i typed about).
Attached Files
File Type: zip WinUAE.zip (13.2 KB, 262 views)
Old 26 December 2008, 20:40   #10
Ian
Global Moderator

This is what I get when running the Direct3D filter. (Using 32-bit Bilinear if it makes a difference)

If I press f12 and click on any of options (Filter, output, input etc.etc.) it resizes the screen until the next screen mode change when it goes back to the unscaled size.

I used hires (normal) and single line for the image but it's the same with all other configurations.

Tested using CD32 settings and Pinball Fantasies (1993)(21st Century)[!].
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.png
Views:	445
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	19422  

Last edited by Ian; 26 December 2008 at 20:53.
Old 27 December 2008, 00:29   #11
Ed Cruse

Auto Scaling actually works. The only thing that doesn't work so good is Productivity mode. I'm using the Scale2x filter, full screen, and filter sliders all set to 0. Windowed mode works also, with the same problem with Productivity mode. Screen shot attached. One thing that might not be obvious on the screen shot, the Amiga screen extens above the display, I can grab things with the mouse but I can't see them.
Attached Files
File Type: zip ScreenShot.zip (101.0 KB, 274 views)
Old 27 December 2008, 10:40   #12
amiga

@Ed Cruse:

Try setting "Resolution" to "Super Hires" in WinUAE "Display" panel settings.
Productivity screen modes require it.
Old 27 December 2008, 11:21   #13
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Programmed modes may not work (I didn't even test them yet..)

Idea: What about "inverted" autoscale? In windowed mode window is resized to Amiga display size? (like RTG mode normally)

Easy to implement but I want to know if it is pointless enough to implement

EDIT: already implemented. Quite fun feature..

Last edited by Toni Wilen; 27 December 2008 at 13:19.
Old 27 December 2008, 13:15   #14
Marcuz

Quote:
Idea: What about "inverted" autoscale? In windowed mode window is resized to Amiga display size? (like RTG mode normally)

Easy to implement but I want to know if it is pointless enough to implement
my 2 cents:

as autoscale is implemented for drawing tables mostly and drawing tables are used mostly in Workbench environments, and therefore dependant to workbench resolutions, then it's better to have the display resize instead the window.

it's true that even with the window resized, you could eventually twice (could you?) the filtered display with the [FS - 1x - 2x] options, but it's better as it is now for readability reasons.

anyway, i would like to stress that autoscale option should not ever be on by default: it's too unstable imho.

Old 27 December 2008, 13:18   #15
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco pedrana View Post
my 2 cents:

as autoscale is implemented for drawing tables mostly and drawing tables are used mostly in Workbench environments, and therefore dependant to workbench resolutions, then it's better to have the display resize instead the window.

it's true that even with the window resized, you could eventually twice (could you?) the filtered display with the [FS - 1x - 2x] options, but it's better as it is now for readability reasons.

anyway, i would like to stress that autoscale option should not ever be on by default: it's too unstable imho.

What? It has nothing to do with drawing tablets. I don't understand your post at all..

And just saying "unstable": really useful information..

EDIT: autoscale/autosizing is basically for those people that always complain about borders in games/demos (even if there are borders when using real Amigas..). It has nothing to do with "productivity" stuff.
Old 27 December 2008, 19:26   #16
Marcuz

Quote:
What? It has nothing to do with drawing tablets. I don't understand your post at all..
uhm...
Quote:
Why did I finally do this? Because "magic mouse" sync mode required position of display start and end and it was more or less the same was required for automatic scaling.. And also because filter internal algorithms are finally good enough. And it is (was) Christmas
i thought magic mouse was about the input of the stylus of the tablet and the emulated area being just a size of the window, while the tablet input covers the whole window.
probably i am mistaken.

Quote:
And just saying "unstable": really useful information..
uhm...

Quote:
there's some garbled thing here about autoscaling: i'm sorry if cannot be clearer, but i've understood it poorly myself.

If you change from Full Screen to D3D (possibly to all the other filters, as they scale in different way) it may keep the "null Filter" settings in the new environment, instead f the new one.

It happens in both modes fllscreen and windowed; to test it:

let's play a bit with autoscale enabled; > F12 > disable autoscale > test it (you'll notice size and position of the screen) > F12 > reinable it, play a bit then again F12 and set Direct3D: the position of the screen is not the one you would have if you would first slect D3d and then autoscale.

Then if you play a bit again, switching to no filter at all, you may have bouncing screen as result (quickly switching between 2 different positions)

In the attached logs i quitted the emulation when one of such flashing things occurred (and there should be trace of the misplacing i typed about).
Old 27 December 2008, 19:48   #17
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

You can generally expect that direct3d/opengl are borken until it really is said in changelogs..
Old 28 December 2008, 11:39   #18
thomas

Quote:
- the better this gets the more comments I get.. (which means screenshot and complete name and/or CRC32)
Workbench 3.1, display 800 x 600, screen mode PAL:HighRes Interlaced, overscan 724 x 283 (= maximum).

Hardcopies:
- without filters
- with filters without autoscale
- with autoscale

fourth hardcopy: with filters without autoscale; after Alt-Tab to Windows and back, the black border is not cleared.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	006.png
Views:	353
Size:	10.9 KB
ID:	19437   Click image for larger version

Name:	007.png
Views:	339
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	19438   Click image for larger version

Name:	008.png
Views:	331
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	19439   Click image for larger version

Name:	009.png
Views:	367
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	19440  
Old 28 December 2008, 12:47   #19
Marcuz

Quote:
You can generally expect that direct3d/opengl are borken until it really is said in changelogs..
i don't think D3D is faulty: i was able to reproduce the mess just swapping 2 times between autoscale (so null filter) and no filter.

Windows' display (winuae was running fullscreen) stayed flashing and unuseable even after winuae crashed and i had to reset the PC.
Old 28 December 2008, 12:52   #20
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
i don't think D3D is faulty: i was able to reproduce the mess just swapping 2 times between autoscale (so null filter) and no filter.

Windows' display (winuae was running fullscreen) stayed flashing and unuseable even after winuae crashed and i had to reset the PC.
D3D is broken (in autoscale). Fullscreen is another part that is generally ALWAYS broken in first betas if some bigger changes have been done.

No filters/null filter + windowed is the only mode that is guaranteed to work in every beta. (at least mostly..)