English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 15 October 2014, 17:33   #21
Rob 1
The Original Domainiac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob 1 View Post
Has any one got any photos of the c64 one? Just want to see what they are actually like?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Plow View Post
Pledged for the signed hard back myself yesterday, cannot wait for it to arrive. I completely missed the C64 kickstarter and picked that up last week after seeing the advert in Retro Gamer magazine, the quality is really top notch.

Rob1, loads of photos of the book here -> http://www.funstock.co.uk/commodore-...ndium-c64-book
Thanks Mr Plow, I was after some real photos rather than graphic design virtual images. Just want to see what these actual books look like?

I see all the hard back ones are gone so it would be interesting to see what the paper back one is going to actually look like?

I found a couple here..

http://www.gamesradar.com/commodore-...ics-in-a-book/

and here

http://dustlayer.com/blog/2014/9/22/...ay-have-missed

But if anyone has any more??

Old 15 October 2014, 19:47   #22
wilshy

What exactly would you like to see Rob? As the photographer in the books, I'm sure I can knock up some exacting photos of the C64 book for you

Thanks for the support thus far. It's doing so damn well!
Old 15 October 2014, 20:14   #23
Rob 1
The Original Domainiac

Ideally I'd like to touch it, feel it, smell it, love it, but if you can some how replicate this in some way with a camera that would be excellent

quick question if I pleadged for a basic package now and some new lines open up, I'd like to upgrade to is this possible?
Old 15 October 2014, 20:38   #24
madcap

Yes you can, @Rob1. In fact I did that because the first time I pledged for the wrong reward.

I just don't know if there's a time limit for that...
Old 15 October 2014, 21:32   #25
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Don't fancy the regular copy. Much prefer a hard back one but they're all gone. £100 though, you're having a frickin' laugh aren't you? Its not worth it. I find a lot of the Kickstarter campaigns are actually a bit of a rip off.
Old 15 October 2014, 22:41   #26
Kehil

Pleged for basic book, now I hope 60k goal will be met
Old 15 October 2014, 22:53   #27
Riempie
Amiga freak

Me and my brother both pleged for the book with the signed box of putty squad
Old 16 October 2014, 10:31   #28
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Strange. I pledged it immediatelly I found wilshy's link on lemonamiga.com and I am looking forward to it. People here are excited of this new upcoming book, but people on lemonamiga are sceptical and it doesn't have warm welcome there. Something has been wrong on LA.
Old 16 October 2014, 13:29   #29
Lobotomika

Good people skills. I respect that. Apart from that, this is all about copying and pasting other people's copyrighted intellectual property on a piece of expensive paper; be it with or without their permission. Not saying it's a crook job, just saying it's weird that having something printed on paper, smelling sour, does worth more than what it ever did, after several decades it was relevant, because it now still hints the feeling of relevancy to us old farts again. Not sure if I can call this nostalgia or not.

Now if there was original, retrospective content, interviews and almost academical level research provided alongside the nice visuals as in these projects, it'd be a different story:

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/books.htm
Old 16 October 2014, 18:34   #30
Rob 1
The Original Domainiac

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilshy View Post
What exactly would you like to see Rob? As the photographer in the books, I'm sure I can knock up some exacting photos of the C64 book for you

Thanks for the support thus far. It's doing so damn well!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob 1 View Post
Ideally I'd like to touch it, feel it, smell it, love it, but if you can some how replicate this in some way with a camera that would be excellent

quick question if I pleadged for a basic package now and some new lines open up, I'd like to upgrade to is this possible?
Hey wilshy, where's my book ?

I'll bet there are a few more of us just sitting on the fence waiting to be tipped over by a few nice shots of the first book. They could probably be tagged to the kick starter site too, to show everyone how they will look hot off the press.

I think it's only right some of these old games developers (and a Graphic designer's team etc.) make a bit of money for their old stuff. God knows we all ripped their games off back in the day pirating their products, but hey we probably didn’t have the money back then to pay for all these games, but we all probably have a bit more spare cash these days and at least get a chance to buy a small part of that history.

Or have I got this wrong and the long list of great names associated with this get nothing from the proceeds?
Old 19 October 2014, 12:47   #31
wilshy

Sorry mate, here's some snaps for you. Not sure it'll quite match what you want and they're directly off my phone rather than the camera & lens used for the book. So smell-o-vision is out of the question right now but I'm working on it. I would suggest popping to a bookshop, opening a nice glossy lithographic printed book and inhaling hard while looking at the photos. Might help a little

With regards to some of the comments around the pricing. We respect your views of course, but you have to factor in that this is a small run, niche product that won't ever match the prices of books that are mass produced in the shops. Also using a local printer to ensure quality rather than the cheapest possible, with the highest quality paper & print quality is always going to hike prices. In terms of the hardback, to get such a small amount printed up is incredibly expensive plus they come as an incentive of being signed and very exclusive. Might not help your bank balance in future years if you have to trade in some stuff down CEX to fund your next PS4 game of course

Of course this doesn't always appeal to everyone and that's just the way it goes. What Sam (designer & producer) is doing here is putting a little stamp on the retro gaming world in a unique way to what's been done before.

Appreciate all those backing this, really is stunning how much appetite there is for this out there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0214.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	41938   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0217.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	41940   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0219.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	41941   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0221.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	41942   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0222.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	41943  

Old 19 October 2014, 16:48   #32
seuden
uber cool demi god

I'm really looking forward to this.
Old 19 October 2014, 17:00   #33
Foul

Send a message via ICQ to Foul Send a message via MSN to Foul
This books looks amazing... and my wish for the next one is it'll be about Amiga Demos !!! Could Be Fantastic !!!

Old 19 October 2014, 23:54   #34
Rob 1
The Original Domainiac

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilshy View Post
Sorry mate, here's some snaps for you. Not sure it'll quite match what you want and they're directly off my phone rather than the camera & lens used for the book. So smell-o-vision is out of the question right now but I'm working on it. I would suggest popping to a bookshop, opening a nice glossy lithographic printed book and inhaling hard while looking at the photos. Might help a little

With regards to some of the comments around the pricing. We r

Appreciate all those backing this, really is stunning how much appetite there is for this out there.
Ooooo glossy

thanks mate thats very good of you, they look great.

I think if they were over priced you wouldn't be getting the big backing you've been receiving.

what's the 4th update about? More hardbacks? I couldn't see it as an pledge option? I'm still scared I'll miss out on a later option I want by pledging now.

did you guys talk with RCK about the HOL game maps? Great to see HOL get a mention.
Old 20 October 2014, 22:09   #35
wilshy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foul View Post
This books looks amazing... and my wish for the next one is it'll be about Amiga Demos !!! Could Be Fantastic !!!

Not sure that would be such a great seller - as much as that was my passion on the Amiga rather than games for many years!! But I've been lucky enough to be let loose on a couple of pages on the demescene by Sam and there's the demoscene cards as well.

Rob - must admit I'm a bit of a promo whore here and Sam Dyer is the main man doing all the hard work on the book. So not sure about HOL but everything is, where possible and contact can be made, all "with the permission of"

Yes UV spot finishing on the cover and proper litho printing inside. Lovely quality let me say - and I'm not just saying. Well I am, but I'm not....
Old 20 October 2014, 22:14   #36
McTrinsic

Anyone have an idea how To contact the author directly, i.e. without everyone reading comments publicly?

I'd like to ask for a certain Game (Genre, actually) that was happily ignored in the Last Book.

Cheers,
McT
Old 20 October 2014, 23:10   #37
ma693541
Computer Wizard

Go to Kickstarter and search for Commodore Amiga.
Old 21 October 2014, 18:11   #38
SuperPlay

I have never pleaded to a Kick-starter, however how could I miss out on this :-)
Old 21 October 2014, 18:21   #39
quahappy
Born again WinUAE user

Wow. This looks excellent and something to treasure (when I do purchase it). Fantastic.
Old 21 October 2014, 21:17   #40
wilshy

Quote:
Originally Posted by McTrinsic View Post
Anyone have an idea how To contact the author directly, i.e. without everyone reading comments publicly?

I'd like to ask for a certain Game (Genre, actually) that was happily ignored in the Last Book.

Cheers,
McT
Let me know and I'll add it into the pile of games to feature. Obviously there is a whole load of games that are already in the list and there has to be a decision made.

However there is a pledge for exactly this if you look down the list.