English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 05 December 2017, 17:17   #101
appiah4

I'm about to get in line via the webpage but can't decide between the OLED and non-OLED model - what does the OLED display actually do if I may ask?
Old 08 December 2017, 21:38   #102
JimDrew

Beside looking cool, it gives you information about the connection status. If anyone can think of anything else it should be doing, then by all means please let me know and I can add it! Nobody has come up with anything from the C64 world, where WiModem has been available for more than a year now.

I started shipping WiModem232's out to people that were on a waiting list from August. After I am done, I will open the flood gates for ordering via the website.
Old 11 December 2017, 05:48   #103
Zippy Zapp

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew View Post
I started shipping WiModem232's out to people that were on a waiting list from August. After I am done, I will open the flood gates for ordering via the website.
Waiting list? What waiting list? I must have missed this. Bummer considering I have been asking about an version for the Amiga since the middle of 2016. Oh well a little longer i guess. Would have been nice to know about this waiting list.
Old 11 December 2017, 13:08   #104
appiah4

Not sure what you mean by 'connection status' but aside from showing what wifi it is connected to and through what protocol, I would love to see information about its external IP as well as current Rx/Tx Speeds on the Serial Port.. Can you elaborate on exactly what it shows? I'll get in the list for one or the other but not sure which
Old 13 December 2017, 17:31   #105
JimDrew

It shows the router name and the connection status (URL dialing and connecting, or not connected). You can get the IP address through the ATI command. Rx/Tx speeds are the baud rate you choose.
Old 24 December 2017, 23:38   #106
JimDrew

The WiModem232 has been released. Merry Christmas!

https://www.cbmstuff.com/proddetail....WiModem232OLED

https://www.cbmstuff.com/proddetail.php?prod=WiModem232
Old 25 December 2017, 22:31   #107
illy5603

Send a message via MSN to illy5603
Quote:
Originally Posted by appiah4 View Post
Not sure what you mean by 'connection status' but aside from showing what wifi it is connected to and through what protocol, I would love to see information about its external IP as well as current Rx/Tx Speeds on the Serial Port.. Can you elaborate on exactly what it shows? I'll get in the list for one or the other but not sure which
Your external IP depends on your ISP. With NAT and IPV4 it will be the same as the result returned when you search "what is my IP" from google.

You can glean internal IP address from your DHCP server if not from the device screen itself.
Old 28 December 2017, 05:30   #108
JimDrew

Using the WiBridge PC software you can connect your WiModem232 to your PC wirelessly, browse your PC's directories and even transfer files either direction using Zmodem or Xmodem protocols. This makes moving files to/from your retro-computer and PC a breeze!

http://www.cbmstuff.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=427
Old 03 January 2018, 10:25   #109
appiah4

I'll be ordering one (still undecided on oled or vanilla) fairly soon to set up a real hardware Amiga 500 BBS. I just need to patient for some of my friends to return to more convenient shipping addresses. My teenage dream will come true.
Old 03 January 2018, 19:53   #110
kolla
Banned

When running a BBS, won't using the serial port limit the BBS to just one guest at a time?
Old 03 January 2018, 20:24   #111
idrougge

A BBS nowadays is lucky if it has more than one guest in a week.
Old 03 January 2018, 21:09   #112
Nosferax

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
A BBS nowadays is lucky if it has more than one guest in a week.
This and in any case, if you think your BBS/Site will have many users accessing it, you would be better served by running it on a system with newer hardware that you don't care if it failed since it can more easilly be replaced.

You could run your BBS on a PC emulating an Amiga if you want to run native BBS software. Even a cheap modern PC could handle many more simultaneous connection than a good old 68xxx Amiga.
Old 10 January 2018, 09:37   #113
JimDrew

I am rather surprised at how active the BBS seen is. There are literally hundreds of BBS's being run on real hardware, and with lots of daily callers!
Old 11 January 2018, 10:29   #114
appiah4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolla View Post
When running a BBS, won't using the serial port limit the BBS to just one guest at a time?
Yep, just like the good old days.

ATZ
ATDT
BUSY
ATDL
ATDL
ATDL
ATDL
ATDL
ATDL

Old 19 January 2018, 15:52   #115
fstltna
Indie Game Dev

Send a message via AIM to fstltna Send a message via Yahoo to fstltna
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew View Post
This would give you a WiFi modem that you could use to "dial" up BBS's. We are doing that now with the C64. I am not sure how many Amiga BBS's are out there right now. There are dozens for the C64.

Is there any interest in this?
I know of at least one, mine A couple of my users are getting on via something like this. Good luck!
Old 24 January 2018, 22:08   #116
JimDrew

The WiModem232 has been out for a month now.

https://www.cbmstuff.com/proddetail....WiModem232OLED
Old 22 February 2019, 20:42   #117
simulant

There is also our Retro Wifi SI modem too which works great with Amigas and most retro computers:

https://www.simulant.uk/shop/retro-v...yes-compatible
Old 24 February 2019, 23:05   #118
sean_sk
Gimmemore Commodore

Dan Wood did a review on the WiModem232 on Youtube recently.

One problem that I have with theses reviews on any wi-fi modems is that, for obvious reasons, they only focus on using them with BBS's. I haven't seen anyone review how well they work with dial-up-modem games like Knights of the Sky.

Myself and a mate each have one of these and, for the life of us, we just can't get modem play working in KotS despite the fact that the game successfully manages to dial and connect both modems together, but won't progress any further and start the game. Have tried both the suggested 1200 and 2400 baud rates with no success.
Old 25 February 2019, 08:55   #119
trixster
Guru Meditating

That would be wonderful! If you manage to get KoTS working please update this thread or create a new one with steps on what you did!
Old 25 February 2019, 23:37   #120
JimDrew

If you can connect the WiModem232's together, you should be able to use them. Does the game require a different baud rate other than 1200/2400? Are you playing via the internet or locally? The only issue I can see is something like what we see in standard Zmodem downloads/uploads. That is that the protocol could rely on the a narrow window for response. You can adjust this window with Zmodem, and you HAVE to in order for it to work. Other prototocols like XModem, YModem, etc. all work fine no matter how much latency there is. If the game expects a response within so many milliseconds that may not be possible depending on the response time of the router and internet connection.

One easy way to tell if the WiModem232s are really connected together is by doing a manual dial from one WiModem232 to the other. You will need to use the static IP option with port forwarding and something like NO-IP if the WiModem232's are not on the same network. Using a terminal program on both setups, just set one WiModem232 to auto-answer (ATS0=1) and then ATDT to the IP : port address of the other WiModem232. If you get a GREEN LED and "CONNECT" message, then they are both connected. You should be able to type back and forth to each other. If that works, then any program should work - as long as their timing is not strict (as described above).

I know people are using Commodore Server to play games together, and a few have played games locally. I use two WiModem232s myself to transfer files to/from my Amiga and PC. Let me know what your setup is. I have not heard of anyone having an issue like this.