English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Asm / Hardware

Old 29 November 2014, 21:52   #1
bodhi

Mem allocation routines safe, in metal mode?

Hello,

I have a question that is nagging me. In my code, I have disabled all system interrupts, DMA, using custom copper, etc. All the stuff you usually do when bypassing AmigaOS.

I just want to know, is it right, wrong, or just OK to continue to use Amiga memory allocation routines when the system is in this state? After taking over the Amiga, I'm currently using AllocRaster(). It seems to work fine and returns a valid pointer which I'm using with no issues. When I return control to AmigaOS, Workbench seems to be happy.

But is this proper procedure and a normal thing to do? I hve a sneaky feeling that it's not quite legit and that disabling system multitasking, etc. may interfer with the OS's ability to properly allocate memory? (updating sys mem free lists, etc.) Or something...

Any advice?
AdSense AdSense  
Old 29 November 2014, 22:00   #2
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

yeah allocating memory is fine i think, there's no interrupt or background process involved in that. it's disk operations you need to worry about.
Old 29 November 2014, 22:37   #3
bodhi

"no...background process involved"

Yeah, I think that's what I was most unsure/worried about...what with using forbid() and wotnot. Thanks for clearing that up.
Old 29 November 2014, 22:45   #4
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

the typical way to shrink an area of reserved memory is to Forbid(), FreeMem() and then AllocAbs() and Permit() - so that some other process doesn't by chance get hold of your memory in the middle! So yes it is definitely safe to allocate memory during the Forbid state.
AdSense AdSense