English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Asm / Hardware

Old 16 October 2014, 10:32   #41
meynaf
son of 68k

It's a matter of decision. It may be very useful if you wanted a signed datatype, and come in the way if what you wanted is unsigned.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 17 October 2014, 04:16   #42
PeterK

Quote:
Originally Posted by phx View Post
Hmm... my personal tendency is to regard that as a bug. ... I'll fix that.
Hi phx,

if you want to release an update for the good old PhxAss anyway, I would like to ask you for two additional new features:

1.) Could you make it possible to determine the command line options which were set for the CPU and FPU by reading out these settings at compilation time somehow?

2.) It would be nice if I could disable/enable the optimization for certain code sequences instead of using DC.W instructions.

Thanks a lot for this excellent PhxAss!
Old 18 October 2014, 20:33   #43
phx
Natteravn

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
if you want to release an update for the good old PhxAss anyway,
I have no concrete plans for a release at the moment. But maybe I should do it, as there are indeed a few improvements since the last official release (was it 4.44?).
The current beta version is available here.

Quote:
I would like to ask you for two additional new features:
PhxAss has reached end-of-life. If at all, I will only do bug fixing.

Quote:
1.) Could you make it possible to determine the command line options which were set for the CPU and FPU by reading out these settings at compilation time somehow?
I don't understand what you mean. The current CPU/FPU setting from the command line, or an appropriate directive, are reflected by the __CPU and __FPU symbols.

Quote:
2.) It would be nice if I could disable/enable the optimization for certain code sequences instead of using DC.W instructions.
You can enable/disable any optimzation mode with the OPT directive, e.g. "OPT 0" (no optimizations) and "OPT 1" (standard optimizations).

Last edited by phx; 18 October 2014 at 20:35. Reason: fixed URL
Old 18 October 2014, 21:12   #44
Don_Adan

If you are looking for more PhxAss bugs, then here is next:

Code:
 opt off
 move.l #5,D1
 opt on
 rts
Move.l is replaced with moveq and this is bug due optimisation is/must be
disabled for this part of code.
Old 19 October 2014, 00:57   #45
PeterK

Quote:
The current CPU/FPU setting from the command line, or an appropriate directive, are reflected by the __CPU and __FPU symbols.
Ok thank you, that works indeed !
There is no information in PhxAss.guide that these Set Symbols are reflecting the command line options, too. Or I've overseen it somewhere.
Quote:
You can enable/disable any optimzation mode with the OPT directive, e.g. "OPT 0" (no optimizations) and "OPT 1" (standard optimizations).
The OPT 0 or OPTC 0 directive doesn't work for me when the command line options have optimization enabled. The following example is always optimized to use BRA:
Code:
 OPT 0
 JMP RelocatedLabel

RelocatedLabel
 RTS
Old 19 October 2014, 12:13   #46
phx
Natteravn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Adan View Post
If you are looking for more PhxAss bugs
Certainly not!

Quote:
Move.l is replaced with moveq and this is bug due optimisation is/must be
disabled for this part of code.
Works here. Perhaps you have specified an optimization on the command line, as PeterK mentioned?
Old 19 October 2014, 12:15   #47
phx
Natteravn

Quote:
The OPT 0 or OPTC 0 directive doesn't work for me when the command line options have optimization enabled.
That's true. And this is done intentionally by PhxAss. The optimization flags on the command line will always override every OPT directive in the source.

Of course that could be changed. But I doubt it would be a good idea after so many years.
Old 19 October 2014, 14:43   #48
Don_Adan

Quote:
Certainly not!

Works here. Perhaps you have specified an optimization on the command line, as PeterK mentioned?
Sometimes some code can't be optimised, f.e. branches like bra.w or jmp to address, but PhxAss always optimised full of code. Of course I can disable optimisation via OPT 0, but I want to disable optimisation only for some parts of code, not for all code. I typed:

Phxass example.asm

and example code was optimised to moveq. I found this problem when I assembled code like jmp $address, when $address was label in the code, it was always replaced jmp with bra.w (if I remember right).
Old 20 October 2014, 10:22   #49
meynaf
son of 68k

PhxAss optimizations on/off always work correctly for me.
Simple, just have a PHXOPTS file with optimization turned on, and use OPT 0 in the source where needed. Don't use any opt in the command line.
I have to see an example where this fails.
Old 30 December 2014, 09:50   #50
PeterK

Possible PhxAss bug with DIV*.L and MUL*.L. PhxAss 4.46 seems to delete the last 3 bits of the command, setting the Dr-register always to zero. See Diff.txt. PhxAss 4.44 works correct.

From Motorola M68000 Family ProgRefManual:
Quote:
Register Dr field—After the division, this register contains the 32-bit remainder. If Dr
and Dq are the same register, only the quotient is returned. If the size field is 1,
this field also specifies the data register that contains the high-order 32 bits of the
dividend.
For all instructions in my example Diff.txt the input bits for Dr and Dq were always identical (the same register). Thus, the instructions generated by ADis should be correct. But PhxAss is not generating the original hex code again, trashing D0 !!
Attached Files
File Type: txt Diff.txt (785 Bytes, 76 views)

Last edited by PeterK; 30 December 2014 at 10:59.
Old 30 December 2014, 23:31   #51
phx
Natteravn

Quote:
Possible PhxAss bug with DIV*.L and MUL*.L. PhxAss 4.46 seems to delete the last 3 bits of the command, setting the Dr-register always to zero. See Diff.txt. PhxAss 4.44 works correct.
*Cough*
I must have been mentally deranged when I decided to "fix" that in 4.45, more than 8 years ago. You're right of course. Dr==Dq is important to differentiate a DIVx.L <ea>,Dq from DIVx.L <ea>,Dr: Dq (same for MULx.L).

Fortunatelly 4.46 was never officially released, so I just fixed it and updated the latest beta version here: http://sun.hasenbraten.de/~frank/TEST/PhxAss446.lha
Old 30 December 2014, 23:52   #52
PeterK

No, never mind, it was not a real problem for me yet, because in my icon.library I use only MUL*.W and DIV*.W. But I found this bug already some years ago when Cosmos sent me a copy of 4.45. At that time I turned back to 4.44 again.

Now, I discovered this forgotten problem again with 4.46 when I tried to reassemble a library. I always do that after disassembling something to ensure that I can reproduce a 100 % identical binary again before I start with any modifications and improvements.

Thank you for the fast fix! (And I can't live without PhxAss)
AdSense AdSense