English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 30 September 2010, 01:44   #1
MethodGit

So what did happen to the original UAE in the end?

Did it just sort of end and get fragmented into a few little UAEs?

I know WinUAE has been around for almost as long as UAE has, but it wouldn't be uncommon for one to assume nowadays that it's the original deal as it's the most frequently updated and no doubt the most feature-packed.

I've heard people say good things about UAE4Droid but I'm not convinced so far..... probably because the little Android tablet I got my hands on recently (mainly for testing purposes) doesn't do multi-touch very well, and I tried many emulators on it. Well, that and UAE4Droid ran hella slow on the thing and there's no bilinear filtering support, but I suppose it's early days still.

I'll just have to continue to hold out hope that one day we'll be able to undergo ClassicWB and CDTV/CD³² shenanigans on a small form-factor handheld.
Old 30 September 2010, 13:45   #2
HonestFlames

Out of interest, which tablet did you pick up? I'm looking at the Elonex eTouch. Advertised as having a 1GHz processor, but no word on how comparable the CPU is to, say, the one in the HTC desire.
Old 30 September 2010, 14:41   #3
MethodGit

Umm, don't really have a clue. All the box said was "Android 2.1". It's supposed to resemble one of those new-fangled Apple iPads , except this one is smaller (but not small enough to be a phone). In Settings the "About Device" information is as follows:

Model number: MID
Firmware version: 2.1-update1
Kernel version: 2.6.29 root@localhost #101.
Old 30 September 2010, 22:39   #4
gilgamesh
Linux snob

I don't know when or why WinUAE forked, but somehow UAE lost momentum (latest stable '98/ experimental '08). Toni added more and more features, so that Richard Drummond decided to port back some of these, which resulted in E-UAE. When Richard ceased support, GnoStic took over and changed the project's name to P-UAE (P for Pandora). All other UAEs are probably forks of either WinUAE or E-UAE.

At least that's how I understand it.

Last edited by gilgamesh; 01 October 2010 at 07:59. Reason: why or why didn't make sense ;)
Old 30 September 2010, 22:55   #5
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MethodGit View Post
I'll just have to continue to hold out hope that one day we'll be able to undergo ClassicWB and CDTV/CD³² shenanigans on a small form-factor handheld.
Once they get enough 'beef' that'll happen. I guess you're still searching for that uber-sekrit lightning-fast mega-core Amiga emulator that people are hiding under their beds?
Old 01 October 2010, 00:45   #6
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
UAE (original) mainly got sort of "abandoned" because original coder and "UAE inventor" Bernd Schmidt had been about to lose interest in his old project. Plus, he eventually found a job at a HUGE open source developing company, that's why his schedule gradually got tighter, too.
Toni at first did the AGA support (+X) only, but then later took over the WHOLE project, after Bernd called it quits.

We can be very thankful to him; otherwise Drummond's version on Cygwin would probably have been the only way out for Windows users. Or even, well, they would have been doomed to continue using the ancient builds
Old 01 October 2010, 16:46   #7
rhester72

Erm...Brian King was the original maintainer of WinUAE for quite some time. Toni took it over from him after _he_ fell out.

Rodney
Old 01 October 2010, 19:53   #8
gilgamesh
Linux snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreas View Post
he eventually found a job at a HUGE open source developing company, that's why his schedule gradually got tighter, too.
Is this some kind of joke? He's working on coreboot afaik. That's cool, and I wish it would run on my computer.