English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 02 November 2005, 04:27   #1
Adderly
[Satan^God]

Send a message via ICQ to Adderly
how to zip my adf's?

Hello, i have a problem with my ADF's. All files are named with the Tosec "Tim" rommanger.
Now i want to compress the games to ZIP files. This is not a problem if the game has only 1 disk. With two or more disks when i want to compress these disk i don't get the name of the game as default filename in my ZIP-tool (Winrar, 7zip etc. all the same).
This problem is also when there are alternate versions of the game. I want all these files/disk in one ZIP, but i don't want to type the name of the game manually into the compresstool because i have too many files for that.

Example:
I have 3 files for the game "9 Lives":
9 Lives (1990)(ARC)[cr Angels - Defjam][t +4 Angels]
9 Lives (1990)(ARC)[cr Angels - Defjam][t +2 Sensics]
9 Lives (1990)(ARC)[cr Angels - Defjam]

Now i want all 3 files in one ZIP, for example named
"9 Lives (1990)(ARC).zip" but my zip-tool don't offers a filename and i have to type one in. Too much typing work with 7000+ files...

An Idea anybody?
Adderly
Old 02 November 2005, 09:34   #2
lopos2000
Zone Friend

On a PeeCee with Winrar you just right click on the first file and use the option ' Add to archive ...'. than you just drop the other files in to that archive. Same with WinZip.
Old 02 November 2005, 11:57   #3
mr_0rga5m
Tik Gora :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by lopos2000
On a PeeCee with Winrar you just right click on the first file and use the option ' Add to archive ...'. than you just drop the other files in to that archive. Same with WinZip.
Or even easier just grab the 3 files with the rubberband selection (hold down left mouse and draw over the 3 files) and then right click 'add to archive'.
Old 02 November 2005, 12:24   #4
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Adderly is asking for an automated process as he has too many files to do it manually.
Old 02 November 2005, 13:33   #5
Doc Mindie
In deep Trouble

Use WindowsCommander (google it). Even the shareware version is DEFINITELY worth installing, makes my WinLife so much more organized than the f**ks**t explorer.

So. With WinCmd, navigate to your adf-folder (eg, C:\winUAE\ADF)
push [ctrl]+a (for Select all files)
push [alt]+[f5], or use menu File -> Pack
A requester pops up, asking for type of archive and junk. go with the builtin zip'per (for now ). Now, you can check "Make Individual Archives" somewhere......
Go make yourself a coffee, and watch a vid, with 7000 files, it WILL take a while

What this does, is to pack the individual ADF's into individual ZIP-files.....saved up something like 10 GB space on MY computer
Old 02 November 2005, 14:26   #6
Anubis
Retro Gamer

First time I heard someone is using un-archived adfs.

I suggest use of 7zip as it has much better compression rates, and its supported by WinUAE. (you need archive plugin installed). But I can't think of any automated archive utility to perform this upgrade.

I keep my roms and adfs in this format, and I'm trying to move everything else to the same format. For some emu stuff I was able to save huge amount of space (about 3-4GB for SNES roms only)

Are windows and total commander same things or different?
Old 02 November 2005, 15:13   #7
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

No, Anubis

Windows Commander was the older name. Ghisler, the author maybe had problems with Microsoft, so he renamed it to Total Commander a few years ago. Btw: the best filecommander for windows, without i'm naked. Today i can't imagine why people still you the Windows Explorer. And yes, the tip from Lopos 2000 is my first choice too.
Old 02 November 2005, 16:35   #8
Adderly
[Satan^God]

Thanks for the help mates but i still have the problem.

I want the disks of a multidisk game (for example with 3 disks) in *one* zip file with the name of the zip being the game-name. That way i can also add other files like fixes/trainers/hints/walkthrough (and the nasty Tosec [a] versions) to the zip.
It's because i want it easier for me to keep my stuff sorted - what is not the case with thousands of individual zipped adf's.

I hope someone here has a hint for me how to do it without too much handwork?!

@Anubis
I just used Tosec/TIM on my files for the first time. I had all in dms format and converted them to adf before the tosec scan. So thats why all are not compressed.
If you use 7zip for your files, how do you get Tosec to work on your files? Does it supports 7zip compressed files?

Last edited by Adderly; 02 November 2005 at 16:42.
Old 02 November 2005, 17:20   #9
Doc Mindie
In deep Trouble

To get individual games (as in, one archive per game, not per disk) I'm sorry, I believe you still need to do it by hand.

Though I think Windows Commander can still come to the rescue, as you can open one archive in one of the panes anddrag/drop the disks there from the other.

It's still time consuming, but easier than using Windows Explorer + WinZip/7Zip/WinRar
Old 02 November 2005, 17:25   #10
Adderly
[Satan^God]

@Doc Mindie
Thanks mate for the Windows Commander tip. At least i get all files zipped very fast. If i get no other hint i will do it this way.
Old 02 November 2005, 17:38   #11
poohbear

Wink

It's about 20-30 minutes worth of work in Java (or your favorite high-level language) to write/debug a program to enumerate the files, parse the TOSEC format filenames and use that to decide how to group the files, then build the ZIP archives. Unfortunately, that's more time than I have right now. If I'm prompted at the weekend, I might crank out the code for you...
Old 02 November 2005, 17:42   #12
Adderly
[Satan^God]

Maybe i should change the topic to: "how to organize my adf collection".
I scanned my adf's with TOSEC/TIM and got my collection splited:
- I have 6 GB (7400+ files) individual ADF's, all named by toces/tim.
- around 2 GB of adf files unknown to Tosec. A lot of files were left after the Tosec/tim scan, sometimes TIM moved only one file from a multidisk game (only file "2 of 3" for example) and left the others as unknown behind. That really sucks. I got a lot of games splited to two archieves now, both not complete. :-(
- Lot of textfiles and .lha like trainer,doks,hints etc. need to be archived, too.

How to organize that? How to store? How to zip?
ARGH! HELP!
How do you guys organize your adf collection?
Old 02 November 2005, 17:43   #13
Adderly
[Satan^God]

@poohbear
That would be very cool!
Old 02 November 2005, 18:40   #14
Doc Mindie
In deep Trouble

Quote:
Maybe i should change the topic to: "how to organize my adf collection".
Iono what everyone else've done....but I divided mine into alfabethical draw.....I mean, folders (since I'm using WinXP :P )
Old 02 November 2005, 18:53   #15
Adderly
[Satan^God]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mindie
Iono what everyone else've done....but I divided mine into alfabethical draw.....I mean, folders (since I'm using WinXP :P )
Do you mean one folder for each individual game or folders from A-Z with all Axxxxx.adf games in folder A and so on? If you have individual folders, is there a tool for doing the workl?
Old 02 November 2005, 19:28   #16
Doc Mindie
In deep Trouble

just regular 0-9, A, B, C, with every game starting with A in the A folder, of course.

With almost 21000 (twentyonethousand) game ADF's.......makes a HUGE difference. (program ADF's is in Winuae\adf\Programs while game ADF's is ine Winuae\adf\games). It's still a bit clumsy to navigate, but.......much better than to have everything in one single huge MicroSoft-ish directory
Old 02 November 2005, 21:37   #17
mtb

I don't know enought of dos, but using command line batch files could help.

It shouldn't be impossible to find a way that, if the filebase is for example 9 Lives (1990)(ARC)[cr Angels - Defjam], will put everything to a same zip/7z and so on ( with infozip or 7za from command line ).

The real problem could be caused by spaces .
Old 02 November 2005, 22:00   #18
Adderly
[Satan^God]

Until i get a better solution, i will use Doc Mindie's hint and use Windows/Total Commander to compress each file as a zip. Not good for organizational purpose, but at least the whole files will fit on a DVD-R. :-)
I'm still keen on knowing how other users with big collections organize their stuff. Keep on posting!
Old 03 November 2005, 02:52   #19
Anubis
Retro Gamer

7zip is supported by WinUAE, and it will work if you used it to compress your files.
I keep my Tosec collection in folders like most people I know do. My collection is not updated for over a year and I'm not sure how much it changed during this period.
I might reorginize my collection later this month, as I just fixed my main computer and my file server has only 7-zip collections.
Old 05 November 2005, 05:18   #20
poohbear

It looks like the TOSEC names are not particularly consistent. For example, [cr ...] appears both before and after the disk number.

Banshee (1994)(Core Design)(AGA)(M4)(Disk 1 of 4)[cr ATX][t +7 ATX]
Banshee (1994)(Core Design)(AGA)(M4)[cr DLM](Disk 1 of 4)

So I wrote a program that groups files into directories by dropping the Disk lines. That's a bit too fine-grained, but you can add extra lines to the code to drop other parts of the filename if you want, e.g., drop the crack with a regex of the form "\\[cr [.*]\\]". Also, it does not zip files in each directory. You could do this with a batch zip program or a "for" from the command line. I will upload the Java code to the Zone. My guess is that the results aren't good enough, but hey it was only 30 minutes...