English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 03 December 2004, 19:44   #1
Photon

Optimized Protracker playroutine?

I'm coding a demo for my A500 now (!). Uncle Tom gave me one of his modules to use in the demo, but I had trouble finding a tracker that could load them, until it worked in 3.00b. (Probably in newer ones too, but I don't have playroutines for those.)

So right now I'm working with the Protracker 3.00b playroutine by Outland and Heatseeker. I've removed the interrupt-timer wait loops (!), I actually start DMA and poke loops with the copper (!). But it STILL takes like 7-8 scan lines every time a new voice is started. So if 4 notes are played at the same track position, the worst case is something like 30 scan lines!!

So does anyone have a great, *Optimized* Protracker 3.00b-compatible playroutine? It doesn't have to use level 6 interrupts, I can fix that.

I remember Tai-Pan of Complex made a Noisetracker compatible playroutine that only took 3 scan lines! If someone has that, I might try to get the module to work in Noisetracker.

Last edited by Photon; 03 December 2004 at 21:37.
Old 03 December 2004, 21:39   #2
Photon

By removing some mulu's and optimizing loops I got it down to 13 scan lines in the worst case. That's ...ok I guess, but I'm still interested in really optimized ones!
Old 09 January 2005, 01:35   #3
Photon

* nudge* No-one has an optimized playroutine? Any version of Noise/Protracker would do.
Old 11 May 2005, 23:15   #4
Ray Norrish

I remember using the promizer ? routine, which not only compacted your mod nicely, but took only 3-4 lines during playback?

You needed the promizer prog to convert your mod, and if I recall, there were 2 players supplied - one VBI player, and an interrupt 6 player (sorry, but this was a long time ago, and my memory is hazy).

I also worked on this playroutine to add fading, multi start points and so on, for games, and I am sure I still have this on my winuae HD image somewhere.

I'll dig it out if you still require it.

cheers
Old 11 May 2005, 23:21   #5
Photon

Haha, that would be so great! Which Protracker versions does it support? And I would need the player source, too. Pleease upload it to the Zone?

I'm sure other ppl could make good use of this, too... Seeing a reply to this old thread really made my day!
Old 12 May 2005, 00:06   #6
Ray Norrish

cheers!

Happy to help.
I don`t have zone access (i only just got here) I'll dig out the promizer prog and the various sources. If I don't get the stuff uploaded, then pm me for emailing them to you or something.

cheers
Old 12 May 2005, 00:24   #7
Ray Norrish

OK, I looked more into the promizer. I have found the promizer prog. It's even better than I remembered: the converted adds the binary of the player to the front of the mod, and u just call mod+4 to play on the vbi, mod+8 to stop etc. You place values in d0 and such to set fade in / out and access to all channel data is provided in registers after calling the play.

I remember a really cool parallax remake that dreamfish did for a c64 music disk I was making, and the mod compressed from 108K to 6K or something equally amazing with player included!!

Promizer was made by a guy from trsi in 1993
Old 12 May 2005, 00:26   #8
Ray Norrish

oh.. the docs say pt 2.xx fully supported, but that is really good enough for most mods I would think!?
Old 12 May 2005, 04:22   #9
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Question Tried Exotica?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Norrish
I don`t have zone access (i only just got here)
Read the FAQ link in yellow for access to the zone...

Photon: Have you tried some of the other mod players like The Player V6? Surely those can play all protracker tunes as it was made and updated regularly. I'd check Exotica - they surely have everything you need.
Old 16 May 2005, 21:05   #10
Ray Norrish

OK, I`ve uploaded the promizer packer/player to the zone.

cheers
Old 11 June 2005, 00:54   #11
Photon

Got it, thanks again! I hope to get some time during holidays to whip out the trusty old assembler...