English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 14 October 2014, 16:07   #21
Ami_GFX

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiman99 View Post
I think he posted here to voice his opinion, because:

1. He knows that most of us are on more then one forum, or at least read both forums.
2. He wants to be heard, and because he can't post on a.org, so he post here (I can see that)

To be fair, I personally would like to see the original post on a.org and see why he was banned.
The original post is deleted but the site feedback section of A.org has some of what led up to it. It really doesn't look all that good. There are quite a few banned users and none of them, as far as I remember, were particularly bad trolls. There are also a lot of moderators right now, too many in my opinion. It looks like a situation where one of the moderators does something and all the others feel obligated to defend it regardless. There are lots of complaints of locked threads and deleted posts. The tone of some of the moderator's responses to these complaints is pretty high handed if not downright inflamatory and is not likely to calm tempers.
Old 14 October 2014, 18:54   #22
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ami_GFX View Post
It looks like a situation where one of the moderators does something and all the others feel obligated to defend it regardless.
Not true at all.
Old 14 October 2014, 19:09   #23
Lonewolf10
AMOS Extensions Developer

I used to frequent Amiga.org as one of my regular forums, but I haven't been on it for atleast 5 years. English Amiga Board is now my home, closely followed by The AMOS Factory and Lemon Amiga.
Old 15 October 2014, 02:44   #24
Ami_GFX

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
Not true at all.
Just a quickly made assumption after quickly reading a couple of threads on the site feedback section. I really don't know what goes on inside Amiga.org.

I post regularly on just 3 forums about things of interest to me. One is here on EAB, one is a computer security forum which deals with the sort of thing that Piru used to occasionally post about on A.org and the last is a satellite TV forum where I'm a moderator. There are only 6 moderators there. There is the site owner and one super moderator who does almost all of the moderation the rest of us are just there for backup and I mostly post about hardware issues pretty much as a regular member and have only once or twice used my moderation powers. It is a very quiet forum. I can't think of a single instance of trolling in all the time I've been there.

Amiga.org, on the other hand, is not quiet at all. I was on it when it was calmer and I left when it just started getting to the point it is at now. The moderators really have a lot to deal with so I have to give them some credit for wanting to moderate there at all. What has happened slowly over the years is that what was once a very Amiga centric forum that tended to go off topic quite a bit has evolved into something like an emotion drenched reality TV show made up of Amiga fans. That is entertaining in a way but the more serious people tend to leave a scene like that.
Old 15 October 2014, 03:14   #25
Adrian Browne
Jackie Chan

There was alot of bs and childish storms in teacups over at amiga.org recently.
People jumped to conclusions and made shit up about amigakit.
Utter b.....ks!
There are no dark overlords, because Amigaland is considered too small, to be worth annexing!
Old 15 October 2014, 04:58   #26
ADz
A mighty pirate!

On vast majority of forums there is always one or more moderators who this relate to...

Old 15 October 2014, 08:24   #27
musashi5150
move.w #$4489,$dff07e

Old 15 October 2014, 08:57   #28
voxel
Amiga Nuts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_s View Post
I like forums too you'll never be redundant TCD!
Well, forums and mailling lists are not redundant nor "a thing of the past" like some says ! it are some important things to protect and use as all important parts of the internet freedom.

I really don't like the twitter thing. it's certainly not as usefull as a real blown forum !
Old 15 October 2014, 09:17   #29
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADz View Post
On vast majority of forums there is always one or more moderators who this relate to...

How did they get my photo...
Old 15 October 2014, 09:34   #30
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
How did they get my photo...
Old 15 October 2014, 10:54   #31
Hodor
Retro Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADz View Post

LOL!

Unfortunately, not too far from reality.
Old 15 October 2014, 18:10   #32
wawa

what concerns amigakit i dont have any particular opinion. everything i have been in need of amiga wise these years i have been able to buy directly from the developers and i dont see why in such a limited market i would have to refrain to a proxy. the support that way has been always proper and competent so far.

now what concerns a.org the subject here is probably a result of an uncontrolled escalation. though my observation is that a both aw.net and lately by aeon acquired a.org has now a common group of moderators very much aligned with os4 camp. also few individuals of uncertain record have been introduced to the staff without further notice. the moderation policy on both sites has become almost alike, including pretty free interpretation of tos, banning at will, deleting threads or posts without notice in accordance with the demand it may not be openly discussed except in pm with moderators themselves. i am aware that moderating forums may be a walk on a blade of a knife, but this seems a good bit too bisaed even though.
Old 15 October 2014, 18:19   #33
amigakit.com

I think we can all agree, that as Amiga enthusiasts, we want a forum that is free from conflict and controversy. We want to discuss the topics that interest us about the Amiga computer, help Amiga users in need of support and have fun. The *vast* majority of regulars on Amiga.org are friendly, supportive to their fellow-Amigans and enjoy discussing all aspects of the computer.
Old 15 October 2014, 21:21   #34
lurch

I take part occasionally on amiga.org. It was my home, then the new owners started posting random news items attempting to get hits/advertising/money.

Then the current change of ownership happened and threads were deleted, people banned, and posts mainly about moaning drove me away.

But now it's not rendering the page fully and I get forbidden when clicking on any of the links.

So will take the hint and avoid ;-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	issue.png
Views:	185
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	41895   Click image for larger version

Name:	issue2.png
Views:	185
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	41896  
Old 15 October 2014, 22:01   #35
watsonfmly

@lurch.... is that Internet Explorer?
Old 15 October 2014, 22:15   #36
lurch

The screen shots are IE, but it does the same in FF. Even on my desktop it does the same.
Old 15 October 2014, 22:29   #37
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurch View Post
The screen shots are IE, but it does the same in FF. Even on my desktop it does the same.
Must be your ISP. a.org works fine here.
Old 15 October 2014, 23:10   #38
lurch

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
Must be your ISP. a.org works fine here.
I'm thinking it's a.org as 403 is their website reporting back to me.

Doesn't matter as it's just a.org not working, other sites are fine. :-)
Old 15 October 2014, 23:18   #39
watsonfmly

Yup. 403 is a server code.

I was going to say it was because you were using IE
Old 15 October 2014, 23:32   #40
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurch View Post
I'm thinking it's a.org as 403 is their website reporting back to me.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_403

It's either your browser (unlikely since it happens with more than one browser) or your ISP doing something that isn't supported on their end. A 403 usually occurs when you request a 'forbidden' resource and isn't an indication for a malfunctioning website.