English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 14 April 2004, 12:56   #21
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

Eye of the Beholder is infected with a bootsector virus...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	eotb.png
Views:	346
Size:	3.7 KB
ID:	6667  
Old 14 April 2004, 17:22   #22
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

In light of that, I decided to extract every single lzx you have done and scan the contents for Virii, and sure enough I found some more. I reommend you put out a warning or pull these games from the archives.

ChaseHQ2 - Disk.2 file - Lamer Ext. 4 Virus
The Munsters - Disk.1 file - Suiside Machine Virus
ZeeWold - Zeewolf file - HappyNewYear 96 Virus
Astatin - Disk.1 file - Modified by the Lamer Exterminator virus
Vegas - /data/ folder - Butonic 3.00 Virus
HillStreetBlues - Disk.1 file - Rene virus

(Checking more)
Old 14 April 2004, 19:58   #23
DeCreator

running a scan as well to confirm

most of those ones are ones that i have picked up from the net though

i run virusz latest version with xvs.lib latest as well,

i will reinstall freom caps images if i have them for the ones infected

Old 14 April 2004, 20:06   #24
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

I'm trying to check more, but every time, WinUAE just crashes for no reason and as I dont have my real Amiga back, I can't try anything else.
Old 14 April 2004, 20:43   #25
DeCreator

i have just checked all from F - Z no others found so that is good.

am going to do the rest later, on the CAPS front for reinstalls i have eye beholder, hill street, munsters and zeewolf so can re do the installs for those.

# - E clear apart from the ones above.. like i said those installs are ones i picked up from around the net, but like anything else you download from the net for the PC or amiga make sure you scan it before use.

I will release the clean installs in the april update which is virus free !

Last edited by DeCreator; 14 April 2004 at 21:04.

Old 14 April 2004, 21:10   #26
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

Hmm, all the more reason to use CAPS releases in future then
Old 14 April 2004, 21:25   #27
DeCreator

true but them files were pre caps mate. oh well like i said before you can't trust anything on the net these days Still 6 out of 1300 odd is not bad

Old 14 April 2004, 22:19   #28
DeCreator

I could not get Hill Street Blues CAPS version to work. It installs okay but the screen just remains blank when starting the game. Is Bored Seal still an active whdload programmer ?

Munsters and Eye of Beholder installed and archived

Zeewolf said it was a different version and did not install. it was the GUI that was infected and not the disk itself so i got the clean gui from the whdload sites loader and copied it over and rechecked it.

ChaseHQ 2 and Astatin if someone has a clean install please PM me.I do not have CAPS images ChaseHQ 2 and Astatin is not CAPS'd yet.

DeCreator

Old 15 April 2004, 12:58   #29
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Nice work Env and DeCreator for sorting these out.

I'd like to have a go at scanning my system but am not really sure where to start, can you give me some pointers maybe?
Old 15 April 2004, 13:17   #30
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

Quote:
Originally posted by killergorilla
Nice work Env and DeCreator for sorting these out.

I'd like to have a go at scanning my system but am not really sure where to start, can you give me some pointers maybe?
You need:

Latest virus programs
Latest virus libraries
Latest xad/xdf/xpk libraries
Latest " " " " software
As many XAD/XPF/XPK clients as possible (300ish downloaded individually)
Fast machine with JIT enabled (preferably decent real Amiga)
Locations or places that you want scanned mapped as drives or accessable.

You could also use WindowsKillers stuff, but real virus scanners work better due to xXX usage which scans in every possible archive type allowing nothing to get through.
Old 15 April 2004, 13:36   #31
Bloodwych

The ClassicWB P96 version (and other ClassicWBs) just posted has about everything installed for scanning and doesn't crash, well at least not on my machine - completely up-to-date files wise.

It does have the XAD shareware popup - perhaps that's the moment when your machine is crashing enverex?

Could do with a few more XPK compressors but that won't affect virus scanning in the slightest, as decrunch support comes from having the latest XAD/XFD.

I'll add more compressors to the next release. Enverex, have you got a collection of XPK compressors you could zip off from your HDF/libs/compressors directory and put in the zone?

Last edited by Bloodwych; 15 April 2004 at 13:46.
Old 15 April 2004, 14:55   #32
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

Took me days to collect all of the compressors and XAD stuff, now people just want to rip it for their lazy installs

No, I am using a freeware XADMaster library which doesn't have the popup. The one with the popup is completely useless as I am scanning 30k+ files and it pops up after every 3 and was basically a waste of my time.

It seems to be a certain game being scanned that crashes WinUAE. It crashes in EXACTLY the same point every time, so I will leave it and check.
Old 15 April 2004, 15:37   #33
Bloodwych

Quote:
Originally posted by Enverex
Took me days to collect all of the compressors and XAD stuff, now people just want to rip it for their lazy installs

Well, it's not for just me - the ClassicWB installs contain files, datatypes, programs etc etc that took me weeks to download from aminet and put together for the good of everyone not familiar with the Amiga. WinUAE is developed by Toni and others who spend hours and hours for free; HOL was put together by the good will of many peeps so we could all benefit. Paul spends time posting news etc. etc.

Underlining theme is community - we all pull together and help each other out.

If that's the way you feel then fair enough, I can understand where you're coming from. I know you do a lot to help around here too (thanks for dpaint in the zone ) I just wanted to point out that it certainly isn't for a "Lazy Install", more like a community install, and I give as well as take.

Last edited by Bloodwych; 15 April 2004 at 15:46.
Old 15 April 2004, 15:58   #34
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

Fine, Fine. Zoned.

If you have any I am missing it would be appreciated if you passed them along. Keep in mind that some of these may be 060 only. I would recommend you also grab the v13 XADMaster library that is out now that is also Freeware with no requester.
Old 15 April 2004, 16:08   #35
Bloodwych

Thanks enverex, like I said I do appreciate that you do loads for the community freely and that's probably why I just assumed asking would be ok - I can understand fully however that it's frustrating when people are taking liberties.

If you'd said no I would have understood. I'll certainly get back to you if I have any you've missed and I'll grab that lib. Owe you one!

Ok guys, sorry for hijacking this thread.
Old 15 April 2004, 16:55   #36
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Chase HQ 2 has been zoned for ya!

It doesn't contain the virus, I just checked.
Old 15 April 2004, 16:57   #37
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

Quote:
Originally posted by killergorilla
Chase HQ 2 has been zoned for ya!

It doesn't contain the virus, I just checked.
He already got it from Codys FTP
Old 15 April 2004, 19:19   #38
DeCreator

if you have a clean working Hill Street Blues could you zone that ?

Old 15 April 2004, 19:43   #39
Bloodwych

Quote:
Originally posted by Enverex
If you have any I am missing it would be appreciated if you passed them along. Keep in mind that some of these may be 060 only. I would recommend you also grab the v13 XADMaster library that is out now that is also Freeware with no requester.
Have a few you don't - in the zone. May come up with more after a little search. How many (very rough estimate) are likely to be 060? Very few? Noticed some of them differ in size in comparison to what I already have. Might just be newer versions.

XADlibrary is still at 12.1a with requester; I've just been to the official homepage, searched google and on Aminet. That v13 I cannot find and may not be official.

Thanks anyway, you've been a great help.
Old 15 April 2004, 20:46   #40
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

It isn't an official one (well, It seems like it partially is).
I dont have the actual link, but if you go to Amiga-news.de and do a seach for xadmaster they have a link in the news at some point.
(I already have the R.A.W. one btw )