English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 19 May 2008, 23:20   #1
Strider

Eek Help Me please i cannot get transdisk or transwarp to work!!

HELP ME! 18 years ago the Amiga was the best thing that life had to offer now it’s becoming a serious burden.I have recently purchased an amiga 500+ from ebay and I am trying to get transwarp or transdisk on the amiga from a PC using ADF Sender on workbench 2.04.Connection seems to be ok as I have successfully sent and used the receive.rexxlong file that is used for adf sender.I have tried the:Type ser: to ram:transdiskCommands and when I typetransdisk -w ser: -d trackdisk 1it just tells me the file is not excutable.I have sent it across using rx receive.rexxlong and when I type:transdisk -w ser: -d trackdisk 1It gives me an error ‘bad file load hunk’ ??I have done the same thing with transwarp and I get the same result.And to make matters worse the amiga spacebar doesn’t work, although using the tab key for the spaces in the on the command line seems to work.

Old 20 May 2008, 09:17   #2
thomas

Your serial connection is too bad, files get corrupted during the transfer.

You could try to lower the BAUD rate.

IMHO you should rather use floppy disks to transfer files from PC to Amiga. The Amiga can read 720k PC floppies when you run PC0 from Storage/DosDrivers. (WB 2.1 or higher needed).

Then you should use a serial transfer method which uses checksums and error correction. For example you can use a terminal program like NComm with xprzmodem.library on the Amiga and Hyperterm on the PC. Use zmodem protocol to transfer files.
Old 20 May 2008, 12:33   #3
Strider

Thanks,
i'll try these methods tonight.

Old 20 May 2008, 22:04   #4
Photon

Pretty soon I'll have make a damn Flash card adapter myself.
Old 21 May 2008, 10:07   #5
Strider

Lowed baud rate to 9600 and it worked?
I can now copy files across to my amiga.

So I used transdisk to copy an .adf file (Lotus Esprit) on to a DD formatted disk at 9600bps, the copying process seemed to work fine, but when I tried to load the game it didn’t work!

Does transdisk actually work?? Has anybody successfully copied games to disk using transdisk and played on them??

So I tried the same thing with transwarp at 28800 bps, but when Inserted the formatted disk it came up with a serial error on the Amiga and a frame error on the PC.

I JUST WANT TO PLAY ON SOME GAMES!!!! AAARRRRGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!

Old 21 May 2008, 10:27   #6
ppill
CON: artist

Transdisk does work. I've used it numerous times. Make sure:

- the cable's wired up correctly (use a multimeter)
- the speed (baud), handshaking (CTS/RTS) settings are the same on both machines

What parameters are you using when trying to transfer the files? How does the commandline look like?
Old 21 May 2008, 11:25   #7
Strider

I am using the wb 2.04 and connecting with the adf sender terminals defualts (8,N,1,RTS/CTS) at a baud speed of 9600 because i cannot get it at work at 19200.
I can send files like transdisk across to the Amiga and it runs and copies at 9600 bps with no problem, so i am guessing that the connection is ok.

I have copied transdisk to the C directory and i have tried both of the following command lines:
c:transdisk -w ser:
and
c:transdisk -w ser: -d trackdisk 0
and both times it copied the adf file to the disk without any errors, but both times the game didn't work.

Old 21 May 2008, 12:14   #8
ppill

Try changing the number of colours to two and you should be able to get 19200 bauds. Then change the serial settings to this:

Maybe the ADFs are to blame? Do they work with WinUAE? I assume you're using uncompressed images.

The parameters seem OK.
Old 21 May 2008, 15:46   #9
Strider

Thanks PPill I’ll try that tonight.

Just a few of questions, How do i change the Amiga to 2 colours?
What is WinUAE and how do I get it because I would like to be able to test adf file before sending them to disk?
When you say uncompressed images do you mean uncompressed (unzipped) in Windows after they have been downloaded or is there something else I need to do with the adf file before sending them to the amiga?
The file I sent was an 880k adf file called Lotus.adf

Finaly I only have 1 meg of ram so won’t setting the buffer 4096 be to much for the ram??

I work in IT so I can handle the windows side of things but I’m a bit new to all of this amiga networking?
When I was a teenager all I ever did was play games on my Amiga (Ahhh the good old days!)~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last edited by Strider; 21 May 2008 at 15:52. Reason: Add a question

Old 21 May 2008, 17:03   #10
Strider

Forget the question about colours i've found out it's under screen mode in the preferences.

Old 21 May 2008, 19:44   #11
ppill

880kb means that they're uncompress (uzipped) so no problems here.

WinUAE is simply the best Amiga emulator to date. Have a look at www.winuae.net and the FAQ here at EAB for some info on how to set it up.

The buffer size is in bytes so you'll hardly notice the difference in memory use.
Old 23 May 2008, 10:20   #12
Strider

THANKS PPILL,
Your a genius!!!!!!!!!

tried your setting and adf are now flowing on to my disk nicely.

TOP MAN!!!!!!!!!!

Old 23 May 2008, 12:03   #13
ppill

Glad to hear you sorted it out