English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 09 April 2014, 00:22   #1
JimDrew

SuperCard Pro disk recovery to ADF

I just added the ability to SuperCard Pro's software to create ADF image files, offering the ability to recover damaged data by using multiple re-reads, density changes, and data separator variances run through a DSP algorithm (all automatic). I was pleasantly surprised that I could recover disks that were grinding and squealing, which had no hope of working in a real Amiga.

For those that do not know about SuperCard Pro, it is based on the work I did with disk duplication from the early 80's through 2000. More information can be found here: www.cbmstuff.com
Old 09 April 2014, 23:15   #2
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew View Post
I just added the ability to SuperCard Pro's software to create ADF image files, offering the ability to recover damaged data by using multiple re-reads, density changes, and data separator variances run through a DSP algorithm (all automatic). I was pleasantly surprised that I could recover disks that were grinding and squealing, which had no hope of working in a real Amiga.
Great! That's the primary reason I bought the card.

Everything else it can already do for me and anything extra it might be able to do in future are now bonus features.
Old 09 April 2014, 23:22   #3
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Sounds good. Is this a firmware update or a windows software update?
Old 09 April 2014, 23:28   #4
prowler
Global Moderator

It's a Windows software update yet to be released (current release version is 1.07).
http://www.cbmstuff.com/forum/showth...?tid=36&page=5
http://www.cbmstuff.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=116

Last edited by prowler; 09 April 2014 at 23:34. Reason: Added second link.
Old 10 April 2014, 00:38   #5
Supamax
Da Digger :)

WOW, great!!
Old 10 April 2014, 02:06   #6
JimDrew

It's just a software update. v1.08 was released when I posted the message. I made a change today to add the batch conversion of .scp flux image files to .adf format. v1.09 has now been released. Just run the SCP program and select UPDATE SOFTWARE (if you don't have the auto-update feature enabled). Don't forget that Amiga flux images will need to be at least 2 revolutions to convert to ADF format. So, you will need to use the SPLICE copy mode for standard Amiga disks. 99% of copy protected disks copy and image just fine with the INDEX copy mode. Amiga disks are rare in that they are not created with any reference to the index mark. Almost all commercially produced disks were created on machines that always used the index mark to start/stop tracks, so a single revolution is all that is needed to copy/image these disks.

I am working on the WD1772 decoder right now. That support will add sector images (like .adf) for Atari ST (.ST/.MSA), TRS-80 (.dsk), IBM 720K/1.44MB/Roland keyboard/etc. etc (.img). Next, I will be adding the recovery for the C64/128 and Apple II disks, then for the Atari 400/800, TI-99/4A, and a few others.

More and more emulators are starting to support the .scp image file format, so I am not sure how worth while it is to support many more different conversion formats. The HxC floppy emulator software also supports read/write of the .scp image format. So, you can use that to convert to/from .scp and dozens of disk image formats.

Last edited by JimDrew; 10 April 2014 at 02:13.
Old 11 April 2014, 00:25   #7
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew View Post
It's just a software update. v1.08 was released when I posted the message. I made a change today to add the batch conversion of .scp flux image files to .adf format. v1.09 has now been released.
Thanks, Jim!

I couldn't see the v1.08 release yesterday. Do I need to register on the CBMSTUFF Forum to download interim versions?
Old 11 April 2014, 01:38   #8
JimDrew

You don't need to register. When you run the SCP software it checks my server for a newer version, so it should inform you that there is a new version and ask if you want to download and install it.
Old 11 April 2014, 20:47   #9
prowler
Global Moderator

Okay, got it now.
Old 11 April 2014, 23:05   #10
JimDrew

Great! Let me know if you have any questions!