English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 07 February 2017, 20:02   #1
Vollldo

"Midnight Resistance" cracked by Thyrone

Hello, back in the days i used to play the following version of Midnight Resistance : "Midnight Resistance (1990)(Ocean)[cr Angels][t +13 Thyrone].adf"

Always capricious to run it on my A500, it worked 1 times on 3 lol (famous C001570 error just before displaying the attract mode home screen).

I love the cracktro by Thyrone and for this reason i would want to add this precise cracked version to my working floppies collection. Does someone know why it randomly crash and would it be easy to fix it ?

Last edited by Vollldo; 07 February 2017 at 20:09.

Old 07 February 2017, 20:25   #2
Nobby_UK

There are 3 versions on The Game Archives:
Midnight resistance (1990)(ocean)[cr angels][h krayzi][t +14 thyrone]-amiga
Midnight resistance (1990)(ocean)[cr angels][t +14 thyrone]-amiga
Midnight resistance (1990)(ocean)[cr angels][t +14 thyrone][a]-amiga

Maybe the 'a' alternate or 'h' hacked versions would be better ?
Old 07 February 2017, 20:42   #3
DamienD
Banned

This "Thyrone" trained version is the disk that I used to back in the 90s on my A500 and I experienced no issues.

Which .ADF are you having troubles with:

... Midnight Resistance (1990)(Ocean)[cr Angels][h Krayzi - PNS][t +13 Thyrone].adf [CRC: 407C68DF]
... Midnight Resistance (1990)(Ocean)[cr Angels][h Krayzi][t +13 Thyrone].adf [CRC: AD612C16]
... Midnight Resistance (1990)(Ocean)[cr Angels][t +13 Thyrone].adf [CRC: 951D3EF0]
... Midnight Resistance (1990)(Ocean)[cr Angels][t +13 Thyrone][b doscopy].adf [CRC: 829F218E]
Old 07 February 2017, 22:18   #4
DamienD
Banned

Damn, just thought I'd run through this. Killed the end guy and then WinUAE froze with a yellow "H2" shown in the status before loading the end sequence
Old 08 February 2017, 11:42   #5
DamienD
Banned

Heya Vollldo,

So far I've tried these disks in WinUAE and both froze with a yellow "H2" shown in the status before loading the end sequence:

... Midnight Resistance (1990)(Ocean)[cr Angels][t +13 Thyrone].adf [CRC: 951D3EF0]
... Midnight Resistance (1990)(Ocean)[cr Angels][h Krayzi - PNS][t +13 Thyrone].adf [CRC: 407C68DF]

Are you able to finish this / see the end sequence on a real Amiga?
Old 08 February 2017, 11:52   #6
honx

didn't know this game until this thread appeared!
first screenshots i've seen make me wanna play it!
hope someone finds a working version of the game,
so i can download and play it!
Old 08 February 2017, 12:04   #7
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by honx View Post
It's a classic arcade game. The Amiga version is pretty good but really you should play via MAME

Quote:
There is definitely a working version:

... Midnight Resistance (1990)(Ocean)[cr HZ - TSL][f NTSC HZ - TSL][t HZ - TSL][a3].adf [CRC: 04EFF4D2]

This disk has high score saving added but the trainer is just unlimited lives...

As mentioned, back in the day I used a disk with the "Thyrone" trainer so just wanted to test to make sure it's 100% complete.

Now after all the testing I've done, I do have a vague memory that it did bomb out before loading the end sequence on my real A500 (KS 1.3 / 512KB Chip & 512KB Slow RAM).
Old 08 February 2017, 12:12   #8
s2325
Zone Friend

Quote:
you may try http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=43724
Old 08 February 2017, 12:27   #9
honx

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
There is definitely a working version:

... Midnight Resistance (1990)(Ocean)[cr HZ - TSL][f NTSC HZ - TSL][t HZ - TSL][a3].adf [CRC: 04EFF4D2]
do i need to switch configuration to ntsc for it? or will it run on pal?
Old 08 February 2017, 13:00   #10
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
do i need to switch configuration to ntsc for it? or will it run on pal?
Just finished this version and it's 100% complete, saw the end sequence

Yeah, runs fine on PAL and will also run fine on NTSC.

As this disk is not "NDOS" I tried copying these trainers onto the disk. Game loads ok but trainers don't work, guess the main "midnight" file needs to be patched also
Old 08 February 2017, 14:48   #11
DamienD
Banned

Ok, just finished this version:

... Midnight Resistance (1990)(Ocean)[cr SSP][t +36 SSP].adf [CRC D619FAB9]

100% complete and watched the end sequence

As I don't really care for "high score saving" I'm going to swap the .ADF that I use from "Midnight Resistance (1990)(Ocean)[cr HZ - TSL][f NTSC HZ - TSL][t HZ - TSL][a3].adf" to the above. The trainer has much better options
Old 08 February 2017, 17:31   #12
s2325
Zone Friend

trainer on YouTube

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 09 February 2017, 17:37   #13
Vollldo

Hi to all, thanks a lot for your replies, i just read them.

I don't know which "[cr Thyrone]" disc i used back in the days, but i remembered that i experimented the same random crash when i redid my floppies collection a few years ago by choosing this cracked version.

Because of this I choosed then the "Midnight Resistance (1990)(Ocean)[cr HZ - TSL][f AGA].adf" disc that seems to work well on both OCS/ECS and AGA (no reboot before displaying the attract mode screen) BUT is buggy about hiscores saving : if you do a hiscore and unprotect the disc to save it then the sprites will be definitively corrupted. This thread is also a great occasion to know if the "Midnight Resistance (1990)(Ocean)[cr HZ - TSL][f NTSC HZ - TSL][t HZ - TSL][a3].adf" disc has buggy hiscores saving too, did someone try (i run it in WinUAE at the moment) ?

I'm not sure but i think i tried the "Midnight Resistance (1990)(Ocean)[cr SSP][t +36 SSP].adf" disc an it failed too on my real A500 (KS1.3 + 512Kb slow RAM).

I must test the different "[cr Thyrone]" discs to see if the result is different with the new TOSEC set.

Quote:
The Amiga version is pretty good but really you should play via MAME
Btw Damien, i always prefered the Amiga than the coin-op version because of the awkward coin-op control system and the wonderfull soundtrack of the Amiga version !

Old 09 February 2017, 17:43   #14
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vollldo View Post
This thread is also a great occasion to know if the "Midnight Resistance (1990)(Ocean)[cr HZ - TSL][f NTSC HZ - TSL][t HZ - TSL][a3].adf" disc has buggy hiscores saving too, did someone try (i run it in WinUAE at the moment) ?
No bugs after a saving high score

I completed this version and it's 100% working / perfect

Quote:
I didn't try the "Midnight Resistance (1990)(Ocean)[cr SSP][t +36 SSP].adf" disc but i will.
I also completed this version and it's 100% working / perfect. Awesome trainer options also

Quote:
I must test the different "[cr Thyrone]" discs to see if the result is different with the new TOSEC set.
I wouldn't bother; after all the testing I did I do seem to remember that the same issue occurred on my real Amiga back in the 90's i.e. after killing the final boss the game will crash and the end sequence won't load

Quote:
Btw Damien, i always prefered the Amiga than the coin-op version because of the awkward coin-op control system and the wonderfull soundtrack of the Amiga version !
Personally I love arcade games with rotary joysticks:

... Caliber 50
... Heavy Barrel
... Midnight Resistance
... Time Soldiers
... etc.
Old 09 February 2017, 17:50   #15
Vollldo

Quote:
I wouldn't bother; after all the testing I did I do seem to remember that the same issue occurred on my real Amiga back in the 90's i.e. after killing the final boss the game will crash and the end sequence won't load
I will try, if ever the end sequence is buggy i will survive with this eh eh. The main is that i find "Thyrone" disc that doesn't crash immediatly on my machine.

Just tried the "Midnight Resistance (1990)(Ocean)[cr HZ - TSL][f NTSC HZ - TSL][t HZ - TSL][a3].adf" and no hiscore saving bug i confirm^^.

Just ran the SPP version in WinUAE and the cracktro seems really familiar. This one provoked the same crash than the Thyrone version, that's why i moved to the "[cr HZ - TSL]" one.

Old 09 February 2017, 17:54   #16
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Just ran the SPP version in WinUAE and the cracktro seems really familiar. This one provoked the same crash than the Thyrone version, that's why i moved to the "[cr HZ - TSL]" one.

Works perfect in WinUAE.
Old 09 February 2017, 18:09   #17
gazj82

Quote:
I actually preferred the C64 soundtrack. That's not to say the Amiga one wasn't great.
Old 09 February 2017, 18:10   #18
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
One poor thing with the Amiga version is that you cannot have sound fx & music at the same time

You can only choose one option and toggle by using the <S> key...
Old 09 February 2017, 18:22   #19
Vollldo

Quote:
Works perfect in WinUAE.
Yes i know lol, the Thyrone one also doesn't crash in WinUAE. Not the same than with my A500 though, unfortunatly.

Quote:
One poor thing with the Amiga version is that you cannot have sound fx & music at the same time.
True indeed !