English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 20 March 2009, 21:01   #21
Amiga1992

I still believe the war generates at kids that were forced to one system and have to stick up for it. You are not going to diss the 499$ computer your parents just gave you after a load of effort.

My C128 was a present from my uncle who had money and lived abroad, I couldn't afford a computer, and around 1991 i would stick up for my C= and say it was better than the PC of some of my friends. Obvioulsy, their PCs were shit Hercules XTs so I was quite right, but I held up with this even after the EGA and VGAs appeared. I had already an amiga (again, a present of same uncle) but I would still use the C128 from time to time (until I fried it).

not until many years later, when I can own all systems, I can apreciate each and every one of hem. Each one has a 'personality' and unique character.
Old 20 March 2009, 21:02   #22
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
I miss system wars. Btw: ATARI SUX!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 20 March 2009, 21:08   #23
AmigaFriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
Btw: ATARI SUX!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well said!!!
Old 20 March 2009, 21:12   #24
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

I had both the MegaDrive/Genesis and the SNES. This way I learnt that these 'wars' are rather pointless. Oh, but I still think the ST suxx
Old 20 March 2009, 21:29   #25
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

I own all the systems now that i always wanted as a kid

I remember one of the worst system wars at school was between the megadrive and the snes at the time i had my A500 and also got a snes bought for me but i wanted the megadrive with sonic
Eventually i had both and i have kept most of the consoles i have ever owned! Right up until the current generation......

Things never change as its now the xbox 360 vs the ps3..... and 90% of people sticking up for either of these consoles has no idea which is the best as they have no idea about the specs or "real-world" performance (not the useless theoretical numbers on paper).... Its all pointless and a waste of time as most systems have their good and bad points

Haha im going on a bit cos this all bugs the hell outta me!
Old 21 March 2009, 02:53   #26
Supamax
Da Digger :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU_AMiGA View Post
Rubbish, absolutely .

I debated about it (some years ago) with Alfonso Martone on our Spectrum Mailing List.
He claims to be objective, but he's not. Just look at the machine specs comparison on the website. Absolutely partial .

I'm not upset by the fact that the Spectrum wins the "battle" (I have 7 Spectrums, and 2 C64, and I appreciated both worlds back in the day). I'm upset by it's way of putting down the C64, even on those aspects in which it's undoubtedly superior.
Old 21 March 2009, 14:08   #27
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
i personaly never liked the c64.... having to choose between colors and speed, ouch !

Prefer CPC hands down
Old 21 March 2009, 14:31   #28
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
Prefer CPC hands down
Any votes for the Atari 800XL or MSX then?
Old 21 March 2009, 14:36   #29
Sensi
Unregistered User

In my opinion CPC is worst of all those four 8bit comps (C64,speccy,atari,cpc) but I dont wanna start another "absolutely better than bla bla bla" It really depends what you owned, memories play main role here.
Close this thread and all "this one is better/best 8bit comp" in future
Old 21 March 2009, 16:04   #30
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
i personaly never liked the c64.... having to choose between colors and speed, ouch !

Prefer CPC hands down
You meant between smooth hardware scrolling, no giant pixels, awesome sound AND a CPC. Right?
Old 21 March 2009, 16:05   #31
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
You meant between smooth hardware scrolling, no giant pixels, awesome sound AND a CPC. Right?
Touché
Old 21 March 2009, 18:10   #32
tomcat666
Retro Freak

Am I the only one here that owned ZX Spectrum 48k, Commodore 64 and Amiga 500 back in the day - not all at once, had to sell the previous one to buy another one But I never really looked back then. It is a whole different thing now, since now I cannot understand how I could sell that ZX with all those nice tapes (altough I kept 10 or so with the best games on them), the same with C64 - unfortunetly I sold ALL tapes and disks I had for that (but my best friend (who also got a c64 at that time) kept some with my programs on them, so I got a little bit back) and then with the Amiga (kept almost all disks though, can't believe I did ;-) ).
ZX Spectrum has a special place though, since it was the first one, I think c64 has the least memories though, Amiga is second. So if I had to tell you which one is the best then you have the answer right there ;-) It is all about YOUR history with the 'puters you had
Old 21 March 2009, 18:29   #33
DyLucke
Cookie Muncher

Well, if you really wanna discuss this, just take a look over the latest prods in the demoscene, and you'll figure out the capabilities of every system...

Under my point of view C64 has the best multimedia overall, followed by the 800/XE
Back in time i owned a C128, till i fried it, (yep me too). However despite i found i had the fastest computer in load times, with probably the best audio chip, and with great gfx features i always found game conversions what were real crap. Plus the Basic for C64 was really difficult.

Always got jealous about the Speccy because its huge amount of releases, but always reminded either it was far behind from the C64 in video stuff, plus to load something from cassette was a pain in the neck, all games took much longer to load. Got jealous about the CPC gfx palette and Hi-Res mode. And got jealous about MSX japanese catalogue, and Basic. Plus jealous about 800/XE CPU.

However, i feel C64 got the best overall, despite its flaws. If you disagree, just dig into youtube or pouet.net for the LATEST demos for every system you want to compare. You'll notice i'm right.

XD
Old 21 March 2009, 18:53   #34
discomeats
Just add brown sauce.

replace "choice of computer"

with "choice of religion"

and whatever else that people need to beat eachother to death over

such idiocy knows no bounds, so much time wasted on crap

still it has to be said, the C64 was better than the spectrum and I didn't own either back in the day

Old 21 March 2009, 18:55   #35
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

this thread is brilliant. it's fast becoming exactly what it was originally complaining about.
Old 21 March 2009, 18:58   #36
Sensi
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyLucke View Post
Well, if you really wanna discuss this ...
No please, no discussion This will never end

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Horace View Post
this thread is brilliant. it's fast becoming exactly what it was originally complaining about.
Old 21 March 2009, 19:09   #37
discomeats
Just add brown sauce.

All we need now is the classic "arguing on the internet" jpg

Old 21 March 2009, 20:14   #38
r0jaws
Amibay fanboi

Taa Daa!

Old 21 March 2009, 20:15   #39
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote: