English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 16 August 2017, 14:08   #1
Vypr

Help with A1200 SCSI CD ROM

I've been having trouble getting my SCSI CD ROM being detected in my Amiga and was hoping someone would be able to give me some pointers.

hardware setup

A1200 Rev 2B board
Mediator 1200TX Black
Adaptec AHA 2940U SCSI board
NEC CD-ROM SCSI

On bootup, the CD Drive is not detected or shown but if I run HDToolBox the drive mounts itself and becomes availabnle so my workaround so far is to put HDToolBox into user-startup and then close it once boot is completed but what I would like is to have the drive detected and mounted at startup.
The AICScsi command does not detect or mount the drive.

The CD icon in DOSDrivers contains the following:

Code:
Filesystem = L:CacheCDFS
Device = "aic78xx.device"
Unit = 2
Flags = 0
BlocksPerTrack=351000
Blocksize=2048
Mask=0x7fffffffe
MaxTransfer = 0x1000000
Reserved = 0
Interleave = 0
LowCyl = 0
HighCyl = 0
Surfaces = 1
Buffers = 50
BufMemType = 1
BootPri = 2
GlobVec = -1
Mount = 0
Priority = 10
DosType = 0x43443031
StackSize=3000
Control = "MD=0 LC=1 DC=8 L LV AL LFC=1 S NC AUDIO=Utilities/PlayCD"
The mount command was originally Mount = 1 but I had to change this to Mount = 0 because the system would lock up with this set.

Any hints?
Old 16 August 2017, 15:01   #2
indigolemon
Bit Copying Bard

The mountlist looks identical to mine (bar the device and the change you made to Mount). The IDEFix package contains a tool called FindDevice which I find very useful for scanning for drives etc, it would allow you to confirm the machine can see it after a boot?

[edit] Hmm.. thinking about it - it would probably just be like running HDToolbox I suppose :/

Last edited by indigolemon; 16 August 2017 at 15:21. Reason: Realised my idea was daft ;)
Old 16 August 2017, 15:14   #3
Daedalus

Hmmm, Mount=0 will cause the DOSDriver to not mount immediately, so that will be why it's not available on startup. Why it crashes with Mount=1 is the bit of the puzzle to look at. If you set Mount=1 but take the DOSDriver out of DEVSOSDrivers, can you mount it later when you double-click it? If that's the case, simply putting it in WBStartup instead of DOSDrivers is a possible workaround.

I'm not familiar with using storage devices in a Mediator, but my suspicion is that it needs DMA, which in turn needs the graphics card activated. That doesn't happen until after the DOSDrivers directory is scanned and mounted, so I think it's crashing because the DMA system the Mediator uses (using the GPU RAM as a buffer) isn't initialised yet. You could try putting the DOSDrivers scan lines further down the Startup-Sequence, particularly after the Monitors line(s), which activates the graphics card.
Old 16 August 2017, 15:33   #4
Vypr

Aha!

Yes, that did the trick. Moving the c:LoadMonDrvs entry to before the C:Mount command and changing Mount = 0 to Mount = 1 has done the job, CD is now mounted at Workbench load.

Thanks Daedalus!