English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 14 May 2017, 15:47   #1
Glen M

More hdd woes

I decided that my 5.4gb drive is dead, constantly getting checksum error and making not nice clicking noises.

So this morning I have setup my 2gb 2.5" IDE drive using winuae and installing classic workbench etc. The drive works perfectly in winuae but when I put it back in the amiga and power on the hdd light stays solid for maybe 20 seconds then goes off and the amiga shows the rom insert floppy screen.

Just plugged the drive back into the laptop and winuae and its fine. In the amiga the drive spins up as you would expect but goes no further? Ive tried it with the cable turn around (doesn't even spin up). Tried it both with and without my IDEfix but again same problem.

Am I missing something. Is there any final step I've missed in winuae when setting up the drive? I really hope I haven't damaged the IDE controller of the amiga....
Old 14 May 2017, 16:53   #2
Glen M

Fixed it.

Didn't notice the jumper on the master / slave select on the back. Removed that and now working 100%.

Next problem....

I would like to connect up my ide cdrom drive too but if I plug my idefix board in line with the hard drive it won't boot. I probably should of had the hdd connected to the idefix then the laptop when setting it up but is there a handy way to fix this without screwing up the hdd install? If I boot to workbench from disk can I apply the idefix software that way or is it start again time? Only reason I didn't do this is the ide to usb adapter I bought has a blank pin along the top row were the idefix board doesnt. I suppose I could snip this pin off?
Old 14 May 2017, 17:25   #3
Kelv

Heat up a sowing pin with a lighter and push through the blanked off hole on the Adaptor, wiggle it around until its wide enough to accept an edge connector pin ( but be wary of a Pin1-pin1 match if it doesn't have the polarisation tab in the middle of the connector as well )

I have no experience with the ide-fix but I have in the past had a CD + Hdd attached to a 1200 un-buffered without issues. At the risk of pointing out the obvious, you did set the CD to slave?
Old 14 May 2017, 17:35   #4
Glen M

I didn't realise the amiga could handle 2 ide devices on its single channel. Unfortunately I don't have a cable to hook up this way, The ide fix provides a second channel and socket for a 40pin cable. I'll maybe just leave well enough alone for a while. Have over 600 games and 200 odd demos to get through. The cd drive would just be to play cd32 games.
Old 15 May 2017, 11:19   #5
Toryglen-boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen M View Post
I didn't realise the amiga could handle 2 ide devices on its single channel. Unfortunately I don't have a cable to hook up this way, The ide fix provides a second channel and socket for a 40pin cable. I'll maybe just leave well enough alone for a while. Have over 600 games and 200 odd demos to get through. The cd drive would just be to play cd32 games.
Hey fella, you might be better buying a cheap IDE adapter, i know the IDE port can take 2 drives, but the IDE adapter will be buffered, and should work better, the ones i have seen come with Allegro CDFS also.

slainte

Old 15 May 2017, 12:25   #6
Daedalus

That pin can be snipped off (but make sure the cable is the right way around at both ends first!) - it serves no other purpose than to be missing so that cables like the one you have can only be connected one way around.

The IDE-Fix board you have should work fine - the first port on it is just a mirror of the motherboard port, so with no other devices connected it should behave exactly as if the HD was plugged directly into the motherboard. If it doesn't work like that, make sure you have it lined up correctly. It's very easy to miss a row of pins either way, and that will stop things from working.

Connecting the adaptor to a laptop won't have helped (and may not even have worked at all given how the splitter boards work).