English Amiga Board


Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - Technical

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 07 December 2019, 15:35   #1
Retro1234
Boo

Retro1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: 5150
Posts: 4,593
Windows 10 faster after a reboot.

I'm running Windows 10 off a USB stick and I noticed it's much faster if I boot then Reboot.

Anyone got any ideas?
Retro1234 is offline  
Old 07 December 2019, 16:11   #2
Shoonay
Global Caturator
Shoonay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Porando
Posts: 6,048
Define "much faster" and your measurement method.
Shoonay is offline  
Old 07 December 2019, 16:25   #3
Ian
Global Moderator

Ian's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Derby, UK
Age: 42
Posts: 2,197
Reboots are quick due to the fast start option. If you are referring to a speed increase in general this seems unlikely.
Ian is offline  
Old 07 December 2019, 18:05   #4
Retro1234
Boo

Retro1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: 5150
Posts: 4,593
It's basically unusable in my opinion without a reboot

I have no idea if it is similar but when I changed the Windows Shell in the past to something else I've had a similar issue, and of course I'm running of USB.
Retro1234 is offline  
Old 08 December 2019, 07:00   #5
Anubis
Na'vi Gamer

Anubis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Hometree, Pandora
Age: 47
Posts: 2,919
Is there a particular reason to run Win10 off memory stick?
Anubis is offline  
Old 08 December 2019, 09:04   #6
LongLifeA1200
Registered User

LongLifeA1200's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Amiga Kingdom
Posts: 221
Is this a laptop?
LongLifeA1200 is offline  
Old 08 December 2019, 12:07   #7
Retro1234
Boo

Retro1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: 5150
Posts: 4,593
Yes it is.
Retro1234 is offline  
Old 08 December 2019, 12:14   #8
Shoonay
Global Caturator
Shoonay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Porando
Posts: 6,048
Again, may I ask about your measurement method and what were the different results before and after reboot?
Shoonay is offline  
Old 08 December 2019, 12:29   #9
Retro1234
Boo

Retro1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: 5150
Posts: 4,593
Basically excessive HD use and intermittent freezes because.
Retro1234 is offline  
Old 08 December 2019, 12:30   #10
LongLifeA1200
Registered User

LongLifeA1200's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Amiga Kingdom
Posts: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongLifeA1200 View Post
Is this a laptop?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro1234 View Post
Yes it is.
Next time on your first boot, open Task Manager, go to the Performance tab, unplug then replug the power cable to see the changes.
LongLifeA1200 is offline  
Old 08 December 2019, 12:34   #11
Retro1234
Boo

Retro1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: 5150
Posts: 4,593
Ok thanks I'll give it a try but I hardly use the Power cable.

I'm thinking it's more like when I use to change the Shell and because it's from USB some kind of boot explorer.exe etc but I will try what you say so thanks.
Retro1234 is offline  
Old 08 December 2019, 12:36   #12
Shoonay
Global Caturator
Shoonay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Porando
Posts: 6,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro1234 View Post
Basically excessive HD use and intermittent freezes because.
Aren't you using USB?
Shoonay is offline  
Old 08 December 2019, 12:50   #13
SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump
SquawkBox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: France
Age: 46
Posts: 112
Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
Is there a particular reason to run Win10 off memory stick?
I suppose reason behind it is it allows any PC user to "try before you buy" Windows 10 without the (minor) hassle of setting up a dual boot system, admittedly. Just like peeps can give a try to many if not all linux distros from a bootable CD or USB flash drive. Going through all that stuff by running a virtual Win10 machine via VirtualBox wouldn't bring the same feedback in terms of how it is supposed to run from actual machine. Though I must say this speed increase observation seems a bit moot point to me.

https://www.easyuefi.com/wintousb/re...ash-drive.html
SquawkBox is offline  
Old 08 December 2019, 13:11   #14
Retro1234
Boo

Retro1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: 5150
Posts: 4,593
Just because it's eMMC is only 32GB.
Retro1234 is offline  
Old 08 December 2019, 13:23   #15
Shoonay
Global Caturator
Shoonay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Porando
Posts: 6,048
Are you running it on some kind of a mini PC like the Acute Angle?
That one has an unnamed SSD for storage and eMMC, and the OS is installed on the latter.
Shoonay is offline  
Old 08 December 2019, 23:26   #16
SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump
SquawkBox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: France
Age: 46
Posts: 112
Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro1234 View Post
eMMC is only 32GB.
You might give a try to lite version of Windows 10 from SaSnet then. It breaks updates and alternate UI languages won't work, but footprint is minimal (32-bit lite ISO is less than 1,7 GB). SaSnet has implemented the infamous anti adblock routine for its website, so here are some direct links :

Code:
Windows 10 Pro RS3 x32-x64 Privacy and Perfromance Edition

Free Download x32:
Google Drive -> https://tinyurl.com/tkd3jld
=============================
Free Download x64:
Google Drive -> https://tinyurl.com/v4sy34f
Read the FAQ before install preferably.

Last edited by SquawkBox; 08 December 2019 at 23:38.
SquawkBox is offline  
Old 08 December 2019, 23:49   #17
Retro1234
Boo

Retro1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: 5150
Posts: 4,593
Thank you, is a keyfile needed?

Ok it says its a 30 day trial blah blah would my OEM key work?
Retro1234 is offline  
Old 09 December 2019, 01:05   #18
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

malko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: CH
Posts: 2,681
It's interesting to note that the University of Geneva recommend the use of "Windows 10 Education N".
Quote:
Originally Posted by UniGE DiSTIC
Why Education Edition?
The only difference between the Education edition and the Enterprise edition is the Cortana software, which is not included in the Education version. However, this Cortana software, like Siri or Google Now, is one of the most intrusive services in terms of privacy. As we recommend not to install this software, we recommend the edition that does not include it.
source: https://plone.unige.ch/distic/pub/po...-n-recommandee
malko is offline  
Old 09 December 2019, 01:26   #19
Retro1234
Boo

Retro1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: 5150
Posts: 4,593
I don't know where the problem lays, I could try the lite version then introduce various processes like Contra etc, but dont think I can be arsed.

At a guess unless anyone has any ideas if(if its even possible with win 10) if I removed the Shell=explorer.exe and replaced with some exe that introduced a wait of so may seconds then launched explorer.exe this problem would disappear(at a guess)

but when I get time ill try Win 7 & 8 even though most claim windows 10 is lighter.
Retro1234 is offline  
Old 09 December 2019, 10:05   #20
SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump
SquawkBox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: France
Age: 46
Posts: 112
Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro1234 View Post
most claim windows 10 is lighter.
It is lighter and they made an effort to include huge amount of drivers for legacy hardware, almost anything past P4 CPU and fitted with > 1GB ram will run it. Of course, the more ram the better.
Quote:
processes like Contra
Is that something supposed to fight Cortana ?
Quote:
I removed the Shell=explorer.exe and replaced with some exe that introduced a wait of so may seconds then launched explorer.exe this problem would disappear
I don't quite see what the "problem" is to begin with, care to explain ? To modify Windows, tested third party tools are recommended, emasculating it by hand can be risky. Just install Windows 10 lite for good, plain or in dual boot setup and everything will be fine. During setup, it's best to avoid linking local account to Microsoft and most people reply "no" each time a "personalized experience" is offered. Cortana shouldn't show up if you don't do stuff like vocal commands to use UI.

Quote:
is a keyfile needed
Probably, it is needed to activate. Try your own key, if it doesn't work, I will PM you a link to download some cure for it (so you won't need a key, whether legit or not). Tried the "cure" myself recently, it's safe.
SquawkBox is offline  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Faster Format? ancalimon request.Apps 11 13 December 2014 19:33
Faster way to transfer from PC to CF? stu232 support.Hardware 18 19 April 2014 11:38
Windows update automatic reboot bernd roesch support.WinUAE 4 12 July 2012 14:50
Can it be faster? oRBIT Coders. General 2 16 May 2011 20:38
Chipram 3x faster? oRBIT Coders. General 10 20 July 2010 02:13

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:08.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Page generated in 0.10498 seconds with 13 queries