English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 29 September 2019, 22:07   #101
kokaib

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarmon View Post
OK, so it looks like your JC jumper is open.

So it probably means that you probably have the interface set to ibmpc in your FF.cfg file:

Code:
interface=ibmpc
You should change this to either "jc" (default), "amiga" or "shugart".
I have no FF.cfg on my pendrive. I should copy it?
Old 29 September 2019, 22:18   #102
solarmon

Either put the FF.cfg in root or a director called FF.

Or you can try to reset to factory defaults:

Quote:
If you wish to return to 'factory defaults', press the Prev and Next buttons (or Select, or the rotary encoder, if you have them) for three seconds with no USB stick inserted. The display will show "RST" or "Reset Flash Configuration", and FlashFloppy will return to factory defaults when the buttons are released.
Old 30 September 2019, 05:31   #103
kokaib

Quote:

Okay! I will try it on afternoon.
Old 30 September 2019, 20:59   #104
kokaib

Quote:

Thank you for your help!

The Gotek reset was not affect. The Gotek's JC jupmer was open. I copied the FF.cfg in the pendrive which contains interface = jc neither this not help. I modified the jc to shugart the loading is not stopped like earlier. It seems this settings is helped.

I did a little test with my Amigas. I used the Golden Axe game which could not loaded erarlier.

Test 1 - I connect the Gotek to the computers with ribbon cable for DF0. Gotek was set in S0:
- Amiga 500 rev5: Golden Axe loaded and work perfectly.
- Amiga 500 rev6a: Golden Axe loaded and work perfectly.
- Amiga 600: Golden Axe loaded and work perfectly.
- Amiga 1200: Not tested (I did not want to disassembly).

Test 2 - I connect the Gotek to the computers with external cable. Gotek was set in S1
- Amiga 500 rev5: Golden Axe loaded and work perfectly.
- Amiga 500 rev6a: Golden Axe loaded and work perfectly.
- Amiga 600: Golden Axe loading was stopped and repeated pushing eject/insert button not continues the loading. I tried many Golden Axe version I did not find any running version.
- Amiga 1200: Same like Amiga 600 but the Golden Axe version which sign "AGA" is worked perfectly.

I believe so now I can use my Gotek but I think there is any hardware problem with my Gotek. For some reason my Gotek do not handle the JC jumper and When the Gotek is connected the computers sometimes starting the computer with "Software failure..." error.

I ordered a new Gotek. When is it arrived I can continue the testing.

I thanks for Your help!
Best regards,
Balazs
Old 30 September 2019, 23:07   #105
solarmon

I'm glad you got it working!

Yes, strange how your Gotek is behaving like that with the JC pin.

You can find the schematics of the Gotek at:

https://cortexamigafloppydrive.files...schematic1.jpg

But I've summarised the jumper pins as such:

VSS is ground, so when you are making the jumper you are pulling that pin to ground. I believe it is normally pulled up to VCC inside the STM32 chip itself. The JC pin connects to pin 21 (PB1) on the STM32 chip.

You can test/verify all of this with a multimeter, if you have one.

I would also check the underside of your Gotek board and see if there might be any shorts or broken traces.
Old 04 October 2019, 19:12   #106
kokaib

Quote:
I'm glad you got it working!

Yes, strange how your Gotek is behaving like that with the JC pin.

You can find the schematics of the Gotek at:

https://cortexamigafloppydrive.files...schematic1.jpg

But I've summarised the jumper pins as such:

VSS is ground, so when you are making the jumper you are pulling that pin to ground. I believe it is normally pulled up to VCC inside the STM32 chip itself. The JC pin connects to pin 21 (PB1) on the STM32 chip.

You can test/verify all of this with a multimeter, if you have one.

I would also check the underside of your Gotek board and see if there might be any shorts or broken traces.
Hi,

I saw the wires. I did not see any breaking traces, all looks like fine. I have a multimeter but I do not have enough small pin for it. I did not dare experiment with it.

I tried the amiga 500 with different powersupplies. I measured in Gotek inner powersupply plug. The computer was turned on and it ran a demo.

PC ATX: 4.1V, 11.8V
Amiga 500 PSU: 4.84V, 11.88V
Amiga 600 PSU: 4.93V, 12.10V
Amiga 1200PSU: 4.94V, 12.69V

I do not sense any differet in the function of Gotek. If I know right the Gote use only the 5V.

Are these voltages enough for Gotek?

Thanks,
Balazs
Old 04 October 2019, 21:54   #107
solarmon

Yes, the Gotek only uses the 5v line.

The rule of thumb is that it should be +/- 5% of the nominal voltage. See the following for a comprehensive guide:

http://www.ianstedman.co.uk/Amiga/am..._supplies.html

So based on that your PC ATX supply has quite a low +5V supply and your Amiga 1200 PSU has quite a high 12V supply.
Old 09 October 2019, 22:20   #108
kokaib

Quote:
Yes, the Gotek only uses the 5v line.

The rule of thumb is that it should be +/- 5% of the nominal voltage. See the following for a comprehensive guide:

http://www.ianstedman.co.uk/Amiga/am..._supplies.html

So based on that your PC ATX supply has quite a low +5V supply and your Amiga 1200 PSU has quite a high 12V supply.
I tried my Gotek with all powersupply but there was no any changes but I realized when the voltages is too few the mouse is can lagging and some games (for example: Uridium 2, Double Dragon 3) video sign is wrong with scart cable. The picture is run and jumping.

Today my other Gotek was arrived. I tried both similar jumper settings and same cables. I write back the FF.cfg to interface=jc. I used same pendrive.

The test result:
- Old Gotek is stopping the loading after the Golden Axe crack than earlier.
- New Gote is loading the game fine.

It seems there is any problem with my old Gotek but I can use it fully with modified FF.cfg.

I thank everybody's comment!

ps.: I will send again my old Gote to my friend and He will test it again. Earlier His computer is handled correctly the JC jumper settings. It is a big mistery...
Old 10 October 2019, 06:42   #109
solarmon

Looking back at your pictures, the only suspect is the red cable - the soldering for that does not look good/tidy. Might just be the angle, but it looks like it is going on to other traces.

Also, have you tried re-flashing the Gotek firmware, especially with the latest 3.x version.
Old 23 October 2019, 21:06   #110
kokaib

Quote:
Looking back at your pictures, the only suspect is the red cable - the soldering for that does not look good/tidy. Might just be the angle, but it looks like it is going on to other traces.

Also, have you tried re-flashing the Gotek firmware, especially with the latest 3.x version.
Hi,

The pictures are illusory. The red cable is in its place. Yes I already tried the Gotek with 3.x firmware. It shows same symptom like the 2.x firmware.

My friend earlier tested my Gotek. The gotek works fine in His earlier test. I sent again my Gotek in my friend and He re tested it. The result:
- The Gotek works fine in His one Amiga 500.
- In His other Amiga 500 shows same symptom like my Amigas. (Some games loading is freeze after the crack)

He measured the opened JC jumper with multimater and He saw as though the jumper it would be in closed position. The Gotek motherboad does not seem to injured. It is possible the chip is faulty?

He has two another Amiga 500 Plus. He will try the Gotek with these.

How can it be the Gotek works faulty in five computer but it works fine in one Amiga? It is a big mystery for me.

Thanks,
Balazs
Old 23 October 2019, 23:27   #111
solarmon

Are you using the Gotek/FF in Native mode, or are you using the Autobot.HFE loader?
Old 24 October 2019, 02:07   #112
lesta_smsc

I just hope that the ribbon is connected properly?
Old 02 November 2019, 18:18   #113
kokaib

Quote:
Are you using the Gotek/FF in Native mode, or are you using the Autobot.HFE loader?
I'm sure this Gotek has a hardware problem. Sometime it kill the usb stick (it killed three different usb stick) or I load same adf more times the ADF will be corrupt. I bartered it. My friend disassembled it and He will use its parts.

Thanks the help for everyone!
Old 02 November 2019, 18:20   #114
kokaib

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
I just hope that the ribbon is connected properly?
Yes the ribbon cable was the right place and connected properly. We tried it with six different cable in seven different Amiga.
Old 02 November 2019, 19:14   #115
lesta_smsc

What about power supply. And ensure any jumpers are set correctly.
Old 02 November 2019, 19:39   #116
solarmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokaib View Post
I'm sure this Gotek has a hardware problem. Sometime it kill the usb stick (it killed three different usb stick) or I load same adf more times the ADF will be corrupt. I bartered it. My friend disassembled it and He will use its parts.

Thanks the help for everyone!
Usually, if the Gotek kills the USB stick it means that 12V is getting to it - normally because the power cable was put in the wrong way and 12V went on the 5V rails and the USB stick would be getting 12V directly. There is also the U1 chip that could be damaged if it had got 12V going directly to it.
Old 03 November 2019, 11:02   #117
kokaib

Quote:
Usually, if the Gotek kills the USB stick it means that 12V is getting to it - normally because the power cable was put in the wrong way and 12V went on the 5V rails and the USB stick would be getting 12V directly. There is also the U1 chip that could be damaged if it had got 12V going directly to it.
I understand it, but the power cable is in its place and the gotek works properly. I load an adf from it and sometime the ADF is going to bad or when I power off the Amiga the USB stick is going to bad. After the power off the USB stick does not work any more. Neither of the Amiga and neither of the PC.
Old 03 November 2019, 13:06   #118
lesta_smsc

The Gotek will work even with 12V... but it may damage it and/or USB due to excessive voltage.
Old 03 November 2019, 13:33   #119
solarmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
The Gotek will work even with 12V... but it may damage it and/or USB due to excessive voltage.
Your definition of 'work' might not be the same as mine!

The only major component that might be 12V tolerant is the U4 voltage regulator, but the U1 chip is not, and like you said, a USB stick getting 12V will usually fry it unless it has some protection circuit in it.

You could also get 12V feeding back in to the host equipment if the pull up resistors are damaged and are shorted to 12V.
Old 03 November 2019, 14:14   #120
lesta_smsc

Correct... sorry I meant work as in power on and be detected.