English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 23 January 2020, 18:43   #1
davidino78

Commodore cdtv 1000 clock display not working

Hi guys, please can someone help me ?
I bought Commodore Cdtv 1000....when i turn on, i can see green led and amiga kickstart screen on tv...but lcd clock display doesn't work....
What can i do???
Thanks so much for any suggests
Old 23 January 2020, 23:53   #2
grelbfarlk

There are three(?) ribbon cables that connect the front panel display to the motherboard and they are fidgety as hell. Try reseating them but it's not a fun task. Also make sure you unplug power as that is still running 5V to the controller even with the power off.
After making some modifications to my CDTV and failing to get them plugged back in correctly, I just removed the connectors and soldered some pin strips in place, now they're easy to remove and always work.
Old 24 January 2020, 13:36   #3
utri007
mä vaan

Here, replacement kit

https://www.sordan.ie/product/589/-3...v-front-panel/
Old 25 January 2020, 13:29   #4
davidino78

Quote:
Originally Posted by grelbfarlk View Post
There are three(?) ribbon cables that connect the front panel display to the motherboard and they are fidgety as hell. Try reseating them but it's not a fun task. Also make sure you unplug power as that is still running 5V to the controller even with the power off.
After making some modifications to my CDTV and failing to get them plugged back in correctly, I just removed the connectors and soldered some pin strips in place, now they're easy to remove and always work.
Ok, thanks!
But how can i do to remove the 3 white socket and the black wires please?
Old 25 January 2020, 14:41   #5
davidino78

Ok i removed and checked this black cables but seems to be all ok....
Which ic chip drive this clock display?
Old 26 January 2020, 12:40   #6
cpiac64

i have some parts for cdtv, send me a pm
Old 29 January 2020, 21:00   #7
davidino78

I changed the 3 black ribbons with a replacement kit but nothing changes.....
What can i do now please?
Old 30 January 2020, 01:21   #8
grelbfarlk

As I recall most of the front panel display and buttons are driven from that largish Sanyo chip right behind those connectors. I don't recall if it's socketed or not, but maybe reseating it would help. Check to see if it is receiving power and such. Do any of the buttons work, like play, volume or skip?
Old 30 January 2020, 13:51   #9
cpiac64

contact me, i am italian and have some parts of cdtv
Old 30 January 2020, 18:23   #10
davidino78

Quote:
As I recall most of the front panel display and buttons are driven from that largish Sanyo chip right behind those connectors. I don't recall if it's socketed or not, but maybe reseating it would help. Check to see if it is receiving power and such. Do any of the buttons work, like play, volume or skip?
Hi, i tryied to reseat this big chip but nothing changes...unfortunately i don't have any cd games to try buttons...
Old 01 February 2020, 20:58   #11
davidino78

When i turn on Cdtv i can see only Amiga 500 boot up screen "hand with blue floppy"....why i can't see Cdtv screen startup??
Old 01 February 2020, 22:27   #12
Agilent

I think you are missing basic fault finding here.
Do you have heater voltage ? Do you measure grid voltage / HV ?
Is the capacitors ESR measuring ok ?
Old 02 February 2020, 03:19   #13
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidino78 View Post
When i turn on Cdtv i can see only Amiga 500 boot up screen "hand with blue floppy"....why i can't see Cdtv screen startup??
This is probably because the CDTV expansion ROMs are either disabled via the jumper or those extra ROMs have some problem. The CDTV CD-Player interface and all that are in the CDTV Expansion ROMs. Which you could test those front buttons with just a normal Music CD, rather than a CDTV title.

+1 to what Agilent is asking, do you have a multimeter and know how to test voltage?
Old 02 February 2020, 12:18   #14
davidino78

Quote:
This is probably because the CDTV expansion ROMs are either disabled via the jumper or those extra ROMs have some problem. The CDTV CD-Player interface and all that are in the CDTV Expansion ROMs. Which you could test those front buttons with just a normal Music CD, rather than a CDTV title.

+1 to what Agilent is asking, do you have a multimeter and know how to test voltage?
Thanks a lot!Yes i have multimeter....where i can measure display voltages if are corrects please??
Old 03 February 2020, 23:22   #15
grelbfarlk

Look up the datasheet on that Sanyo chip, check at least the 5V supply and ground. From there you should be able to work out what is giving the CDTV display power-again warning-*Do this with the power cable unplugged* as 5V is powering that display when the machine is turned off. Some photos of the area with the Sanyo chip would be good as well as the rest of the CDTV motherboard, maybe someone can spot something amiss.
Old 07 February 2020, 20:34   #16
davidino78

Quote:
Look up the datasheet on that Sanyo chip, check at least the 5V supply and ground. From there you should be able to work out what is giving the CDTV display power-again warning-*Do this with the power cable unplugged* as 5V is powering that display when the machine is turned off. Some photos of the area with the Sanyo chip would be good as well as the rest of the CDTV motherboard, maybe someone can spot something amiss.
Thanks but how can i measure 5V on Sanyo chip if power cable is non connected?
Old 07 February 2020, 20:35   #17
davidino78

This is Sanyo chip:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200202_122000.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	202.3 KB
ID:	66117  
Old 08 February 2020, 01:27   #18
grelbfarlk

STANDARD DISCLAIMER, IF YOU ARE NOT FAMILIAR WITH TESTING POWER AND HAVE ANY QUESTION THAT WHAT YOU ARE DOING IS NOT SAFE, DO NOT ATTEMPT ANY OF THE FOLLOWING

Yes, sorry the way I wrote that, it seems like I told you to do two conflicting things at the same time. I meant like,
Part 1) Power supply disconnected
-Set your multimeter to continuity, measure the 5V to the Sanyo chip to find where the 5V pins are on the Front Panel Display connector(s), there are probably multiple. If that all seems good, then you might remove the front panel and measure between the Sanyo 5V power and wherever it is driving the display.
-Repeat for Ground

Part 2) With power supply connected
Measure the same 5V Point on the Sanyo Chip, then on the connectors, then if you are able on the display itself.

Part 3) With power supply disconnected
Measure the resistance between 5V to Ground, unlikely that you have a short as you'd probably have much bigger problems like the machine not turning on.

I meant give us pictures of the whole motherboard, not just the Sanyo chip area. As I recall there are a few extra little connectors and cables on the CDTV motherboard. Perhaps we can spot something wrong elsewhere.
Did you check that jumper setting that disabled the CDTV Expansion ROM? Do you have the CDTV boot screen now?
If so test with an Audio CD, see if the buttons work or the buttons on the remote.
Old 08 February 2020, 14:07   #19
davidino78

Quote:
STANDARD DISCLAIMER, IF YOU ARE NOT FAMILIAR WITH TESTING POWER AND HAVE ANY QUESTION THAT WHAT YOU ARE DOING IS NOT SAFE, DO NOT ATTEMPT ANY OF THE FOLLOWING

Yes, sorry the way I wrote that, it seems like I told you to do two conflicting things at the same time. I meant like,
Part 1) Power supply disconnected
-Set your multimeter to continuity, measure the 5V to the Sanyo chip to find where the 5V pins are on the Front Panel Display connector(s), there are probably multiple. If that all seems good, then you might remove the front panel and measure between the Sanyo 5V power and wherever it is driving the display.
-Repeat for Ground

Part 2) With power supply connected
Measure the same 5V Point on the Sanyo Chip, then on the connectors, then if you are able on the display itself.

Part 3) With power supply disconnected
Measure the resistance between 5V to Ground, unlikely that you have a short as you'd probably have much bigger problems like the machine not turning on.

I meant give us pictures of the whole motherboard, not just the Sanyo chip area. As I recall there are a few extra little connectors and cables on the CDTV motherboard. Perhaps we can spot something wrong elsewhere.
Did you check that jumper setting that disabled the CDTV Expansion ROM? Do you have the CDTV boot screen now?
If so test with an Audio CD, see if the buttons work or the buttons on the remote.
Thanks so much!
Where i can find jumper setting please?
This is picture board...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200208_140519.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	213.5 KB
ID:	66123  
Old 08 February 2020, 14:22   #20
grelbfarlk

JP15 is next to where it says U43, U45. I see you have no jumper installed, put a jumper either on the right or left two pins, it doesn't matter which.