English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 07 December 2014, 19:05   #1
arkpandora

Question Internal scan-doubling methods for the A1200

Hi!

My three questions of the day:

1. Is there any scan-doubler for the Amiga 1200 that does not corrupt animation? I have never used an Indivision, but I have read that it is not synchronous with the Amiga clock therefore it corrupts animation, even processing PAL through a 50 Hz screenmode. As I need the scan-doubled animation to be as perfect as the original, that would be an issue for me.

2. If so, is it possible to pass its signal to a graphic card (for example a PCI graphic card on a Mediator PCI board) in order to display both the graphic card signal and the scan-doubled PAL signal through the same port?

3. Since the Picasso IV graphic card can perform both tasks, is there any way of installing a Picasso IV in a towered A1200?

Thank you for any help!

Jean
Old 07 December 2014, 20:36   #2
Damion

1. All the internal scandoublers I know of for the 1200 synchronize perfectly enough for smooth scrolling. The Indivision Mk1 displayed 50Hz fine, with a few minor niggles (let me know if you want details). I believe the problems with the Mk2 are/were related to the configuration tool.

2. No, not with PCI cards. You'd need a monitor switcher, monitor with two inputs, or a Zorro card with an analog passthrough (Spectrum, CV64).

3. With a busboard it's doable, you'd have to research which ones work. However, it's not possible to have a synchronized output for perfect scrolling. With the configuration tool you can get it *very* close however, and I have yet to see an Amiga scandoubler with better picture quality, it's really amazing. (Mk2 Indivision might be better using DVI, I have no idea.)
Old 07 December 2014, 21:30   #3
arkpandora

Thank you for your help!

Quote:
1. All the internal scandoublers I know of for the 1200 synchronize perfectly enough for smooth scrolling. The Indivision Mk1 displayed 50Hz fine, with a few minor niggles (let me know if you want details). I believe the problems with the Mk2 are/were related to the configuration tool.
But in other threads I read that the Indivision has no "Vsync" option. Doesn't it mean that there is no genuine synchronization, and that perfect scrolling is impossible with the Indivision?

Quote:
3. With a busboard it's doable, you'd have to research which ones work. However, it's not possible to have a synchronized output for perfect scrolling. With the configuration tool you can get it *very* close however
Is it because the Picasso IV is installed on a busboard that it's not possible to have a syncronized output for perfect scrolling, or is it because it's just not possible with a Picasso IV even if it is plugged in the video port of an Amiga 3000 or 4000?

Do I stand a better chance of getting perfect scrolling with an Indivision than a Picasso IV?

And ideally, which Amiga model and scandoubler should I use in order to obtain perfect scan-doubled scrolling on a (VGA) CRT monitor, besides the Amiga 3000's built-in scandoubler?
Old 07 December 2014, 23:15   #4
Damion

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkpandora View Post
Thank you for your help!

But in other threads I read that the Indivision has no "Vsync" option. Doesn't it mean that there is no genuine synchronization, and that perfect scrolling is impossible with the Indivision?
I suppose it's possible. I thought the configuration tool solved that problem but I don't know for sure. The Mk1 had perfect scrolling. Even if the Mk2 doesn't have a specific option for synced output, I don't see why you couldn't enter the correct values manually.

Quote:
Is it because the Picasso IV is installed on a busboard that it's not possible to have a syncronized output for perfect scrolling, or is it because it's just not possible with a Picasso IV even if it is plugged in the video port of an Amiga 3000 or 4000?

Do I stand a better chance of getting perfect scrolling with an Indivision than a Picasso IV?

And ideally, which Amiga model and scandoubler should I use in order to obtain perfect scan-doubled scrolling on a (VGA) CRT monitor, besides the Amiga 3000's built-in scandoubler?
It's a hardware limitation of the Picasso IV, as I understand it. Setup for games, you'll only notice a tiny "hiccup" in the scrolling, of say, a pinball game perhaps every 15 seconds. Most of the time you won't notice any problem.

WRT other scandoublers, I've used the DCE internal one, CV64/3D scandoubler, and a few Zorro ones, all synced/perfect scrolling. The Indivision Mk1 was probably the best one in terms of displaying everything correctly, but none of them were perfect (at least the PIV has some problems with certain demos etc).

Oops - almost forgot, some of those scandoublers (DCE internal and CV64/3D one) don't display AGA correctly (reduced color palette), so I would probably go with the Indivision, PIV, or one of the 24-bit Zorro boards (CompServ/Arxon and Petsoft DblScan come to mind here).
Old 31 March 2015, 15:56   #5
arkpandora

Thank you for your valuable answers! I had to drop the whole Amiga subject lately, but I will undertake a few quality of animation comparisons with what I have and find. Currently I have a Picasso IV in an A4000 but I don't know if they are still working - I haven't been using them since the mid-2000s.