English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Asm / Hardware

Old 25 February 2020, 22:42   #1
sparhawk

BPTR alignment

When I call a DOS function the pointers need to be in BCPL format, right? So what does this exactly mean? word aligned, or long?
Old 25 February 2020, 22:50   #2
arcanist

BPTRs are shifted, not just aligned. See the BADDR macro from NDK headers:

#define BADDR( bptr ) (((ULONG)bptr) << 2)

Though this is mostly an implementation detail if you don't plan to dereference the pointers.
Old 26 February 2020, 02:08   #3
phx
Natteravn

Not all pointers in dos.library functions are BCPL pointers, and not all of those pointers which are not BPTRs need 32-bit alignment. Usually this is documented.
Old 26 February 2020, 07:41   #4
sparhawk

So when I call a function like Lock() which requires a BPTR I have to take the regular address and shift it?
Because I tried to align it to a long (haven't tested it yet).
Code:
sub.l #size+4,a7
move.l a7,d1
and.b #$fc,d1
addq #4,d1
move.l d1,a0
Old 26 February 2020, 08:53   #5
alkis

Lock() doesn't need a lock. It returns a lock.

http://amigadev.elowar.com/read/ADCD.../node0186.html

You can use that returned lock without any further processing.
Old 26 February 2020, 08:56   #6
grond

I thought all AmigaOS pointers were long-aligned anyway (OK, A7 could be set to a word boundary; btw, are you really sure you want to do that sub on A7?). If so, all it would need to turn an AmigaOS pointer into a BPTR is:

Code:
lsr.l #2,d1
move.l d1,a0
Old 26 February 2020, 10:06   #7
sparhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by grond View Post
I thought all AmigaOS pointers were long-aligned anyway (OK, A7 could be set to a word boundary; btw, are you really sure you want to do that sub on A7?).

That was just an example. Anyway, it's valid to create local variables on the stack, right? The compiler does it, and I use this pattern in other code as well, to avoid creating memory variables.

Quote:
If so, all it would need to turn an AmigaOS pointer into a BPTR is:

Code:
lsr.l #2,d1
move.l d1,a0
Thanks! I was unsure about that, because I thought such pointers would have to be aligned on a long word address, but just shifting them, is something different.

And alkis is right, I don't need to do this anyway, when I just get a pointer to pass around from DOS without need of dereferencing it.

It's been quite some time, since I last did Amiga Programming, so I have to relearn all that stuff again.
Old 26 February 2020, 10:49   #8
hooverphonique
ex. demoscener "Bigmama"

You can think of them as pointers to longs instead of bytes. Thus their value can be any integer - 0 points to long number 0 (address 0), 1 points to long number 1 (address 4), and so on..
Old 26 February 2020, 11:15   #9
sparhawk

Yes, that makes sense, and is easier to remember. Thanks for the explanation.
Old 26 February 2020, 13:26   #10
Thomas Richter

Quote:
I thought all AmigaOS pointers were long-aligned anyway.
No, why? Where an object lies depends on the compiler. What is certainly true is that if you allocate memory from the Os, you'll get a pointer that pionts to an address divisible by eight. Other than that, only the 68K conventions apply, i.e. pointers are on even addresses.

Quote:
If so, all it would need to turn an AmigaOS pointer into a BPTR is:
Code:
lsr.l #2,d1
move.l d1,a0
This means potentially shooting yourself into the foot. As rule of thumb: Pointers that go into the dos.library have to be longword aligned (e.g. struct FileInfoBlock, struct InfoData) and are long word aligned (struct CommandLineInterface, struct Process).

Many functions take BPTRs as input, and BPTRs as output, representing either a lock or a file handle. Those should be used as "opaque values", i.e. what comes out of the dos.library as BPTR can go into another function as BPTR (i.e. the output of Lock() can be an input of CurrentDir() without further modification).

It becomes touchy where the dos.library takes regular pointers (struct FileInfoBlock *). These are of course not to be divided by 4 as they are regular pointers, though most functions still expect that these pointers point to long-word boundaries.

Thus, some care needs to be taken when they are allocated on the stack or the heap to ensure proper alignment. As rule of thumb: It is for beginners advisable to just allocate such structures with AllocMem() or AllocVec() as the alignment is then correct. Putting them on the heap or the stack of the program itself requires some additional care.
Old 26 February 2020, 14:38   #11
grond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Richter View Post
No, why? Where an object lies depends on the compiler.
That's why I wrote "AmigaOS pointers" as opposed to just "pointers". For all other pointers the user should have control anyway. As so often, everything you write in reply to my message seems to be totally unrelated to the actual subject of what was written or implied.

Quote:
This means potentially shooting yourself into the foot. As rule of thumb: Pointers that go into the dos.library have to be longword aligned (e.g. struct FileInfoBlock, struct InfoData) and are long word aligned (struct CommandLineInterface, struct Process).
Yes. And? We were specifically talking about BPTR.

Quote:
Many functions take BPTRs as input, and BPTRs as output, representing either a lock or a file handle. Those should be used as "opaque values", i.e. what comes out of the dos.library as BPTR can go into another function as BPTR (i.e. the output of Lock() can be an input of CurrentDir() without further modification).
This is more interesting. Are there cases where BPTR are somehow generated by the programmer or are there none?
Old 26 February 2020, 16:27   #12
sparhawk

Quote:
This is more interesting. Are there cases where BPTR are somehow generated by the programmer or are there none?

That's actually exactly why I was asking. So in the meantime I looked into my "Amiga Intern" (the holy bible ) And when I want to use Examine() I must indeed make sure that I have to have an address aligned to 4, so my above code should be ok, as it aligns a block to 4. In the book, they recommend to use AllocMem() because of that, but I think this is a bit of an overhead and additional complexity for something as simple as this.

I wonder where this requirement comes from. On the first Amigas they had only the technical constraint with even address alignment, which I could understand. Apart from that, I don't see why they require this long alignment, or why AllocMem even aligns to 8.
Old 26 February 2020, 16:33   #13
grond

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparhawk View Post
That's actually exactly why I was asking.
Yes, but because ThoR likes to chime in with a lot of very detailed but unrelated technical information, I wanted to present the original question to him again. He is a very knowledgable guy after all...

Quote:
I wonder where this requirement comes from.
It is some historical stuff from the OS that Amiga bought to have a starting point for their AmigaOS development. Was it called Tripos? I think it was written in BCPL, some long forgotten programming language. Somebody there thought that pointers would be able to address four times as much RAM if they were made 32bit-aligned and that it was a very clever idea. Unfortunately this resulted in a lot of unnecessary shifting around pointers...
Old 26 February 2020, 18:05   #14
alkis

Quote:
That's actually exactly why I was asking. So in the meantime I looked into my "Amiga Intern" (the holy bible ) And when I want to use Examine() I must indeed make sure that I have to have an address aligned to 4, so my above code should be ok, as it aligns a block to 4. In the book, they recommend to use AllocMem() because of that, but I think this is a bit of an overhead and additional complexity for something as simple as this.
You can use __aligned to declare a struct FileInfoBlock on the stack like
Code:
__aligned struct FileInfoBlock fib;
this works in gcc and SAS C.

https://franke.ms/cex/z/XR1NRA
hmm, gcc2.95 looks buggy, gcc6.5.0 looks good.

Last edited by alkis; 26 February 2020 at 18:16. Reason: compiler explorer
Old 26 February 2020, 18:14   #15
sparhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkis View Post
You can use __aligned to declare a struct FileInfoBlock on the stack like
Code:
__aligned struct FileInfoBlock fib;
this works in gcc and SAS C.
Thanks! Is there something similar for vasm as well?
Old 26 February 2020, 21:12   #16
jotd
This cat is no more

you can use the great classic:

Code:
   CNOP 0,4
Old 26 February 2020, 21:34   #17
Exodous

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcanist View Post
BPTRs are shifted, not just aligned. See the BADDR macro from NDK headers:

#define BADDR( bptr ) (((ULONG)bptr) << 2)

You missed one very important point with this quotation - the comment:

Code:
#define BADDR( bptr ) (bptr << 2) * Convert BPTR to byte addressed pointer
BADDR converts a BCPL pointer to a byte addressed pointer. To go from a data address to a BCPL pointer, you shift the address right by 2, which means the data has to be long word aligned.
Old 26 February 2020, 22:05   #18
sparhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
you can use the great classic:

Code:
   CNOP 0,4

But this will not work to create an aligned stack space, only memory. Or am I missing something?
Old 26 February 2020, 22:28   #19
phx
Natteravn

Quote:
I thought all AmigaOS pointers were long-aligned anyway
You probably wanted to say "AmigaDOS" pointers? I wouldn't expect that pointers returned by other parts of AmigaOS are longword-aligned (so I can understand ThoR's reply).

But even in dos.library you have some unaligned pointers. For example it is no problem when you call Open() with a file name on an odd address.

Quote:
(OK, A7 could be set to a word boundary;
Which leads to the more interesting question: is A7 guaranteed to be longword-aligned on program start (from Shell, from Workbench)? I think it is, but I also don't remember seeing it documented somewhere.

@sparhawk: So it would be up to you to keep the stack in 32-bit alignment (a good C compiler should do that) and don't have to care about that later.
Old 27 February 2020, 01:21   #20
alkis

Quote:
Thanks! Is there something similar for vasm as well?
If you click on the compiler explorer link you'll see the assembly that gcc-6.5.0 comes up with for the job. You can probably use it as a template for a macro with two arguments 1) sizeof struct 2) alignment (i.e foo 260,4)