evicted psycho

indication of great demos?

http://kestra.exotica.org.uk/demos.php?mode=top

Or not?

What would you say of this list?
Old 29 March 2010, 10:32   #2
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

It's a list. As good or bad as any other 'top' list out there. Watch those demos and decide, might be easier than just wading through 10,000+ demos yourself
Old 29 March 2010, 10:46   #3
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Just watch the demos yourself, if a demo is "good" or "bad" is a matter of taste. I mean, there are people who think LSD's "Jesus on E's" is a great demo and there are even people who enjoy Alcatraz' Odyssey... ;D
Old 29 March 2010, 10:54   #4
deicidal
Registered Insane

I had a quick gander and although a lot of the stuff was realesed after i'd got completely bored of the scene, there was some some which made me think why and not just the very little code ones that have the 'likeability factor' . Still each to there own.
Old 29 March 2010, 11:34   #5
Falcon Flight
evicted psycho

sigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
Just watch the demos yourself, if a demo is "good" or "bad" is a matter of taste. I mean, there are people who think LSD's "Jesus on E's" is a great demo and there are even people who enjoy Alcatraz' Odyssey... ;D
I don't believe "good" and "bad" are a matter of taste, I don't believe in "beauty is in the eye of the beholder", and I don't believe in parroting "everything's subjective" and "each to their own".

Why don't you guys grow a pair and claim that objective goodness and badness exists in the Amiga scene?

This does not refer to you directly StingRay:
Ever heard of a cultivated palate? I wanted to ask a connoisseur of these demos what they thought was objectively good in that list (in so far as it can be), what they thought should definitely be there.

Please don't bore me with your trite, sterile remarks in the future, ppl.

Edit: just so you know, I only had that SotA Spaceball demo back in the day, so was really starved of scene stuff. Please advise me on a piece you guys like.
Old 29 March 2010, 11:40   #6
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Flight View Post
Please don't bore us with more threads like this in the future then
There is a search button at the top and surely you'll find more than one 'best demo' thread.
Btw : Did you really expect someone to comment on each of the 427 demos on that list?
Old 29 March 2010, 11:42   #7
Graham Humphrey

Quote:
I don't believe "good" and "bad" are a matter of taste, I don't believe in "beauty is in the eye of the beholder", and I don't believe in parroting "everything's subjective" and "each to their own".
I think, judging by your other posts, this roughly translates as "my opinion = fact. And I am more than happy to shove it down everyone's throats".
Old 29 March 2010, 11:45   #8
deicidal
Registered Insane

Quote:
Then you have some strange ideas and world would be a very boring place if we all agreed what was good and bad. I dont find Angelina Jollie that attractive but i know i'm in the minority on that one.
Old 29 March 2010, 11:54   #9
Falcon Flight
evicted psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by deicidal View Post
Then you have some strange ideas and world would be a very boring place if we all agreed what was good and bad. I dont find Angelina Jollie that attractive but i know i'm in the minority on that one.
How is it strange to believe that there is a degree of objectivity in what is good and what is bad, when it comes to assessing artforms, or in this case demos?

Is every demo as good as one another? Why do they have competitions?

I think it would be boring if we attempted to stifle every conversation by answering "it is all a matter of taste", "each to their own", etc. There would never be an exchange, evolving ideas etc.

Please don't take this as an insult, but you find me strange, and I also find you strange. Does that mean we can't discuss something?
Old 29 March 2010, 11:57   #10
Falcon Flight
evicted psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey View Post
I think, judging by your other posts, this roughly translates as "my opinion = fact. And I am more than happy to shove it down everyone's throats".
You're a friendly fellow, aren't you? Anyway, I don't mean to come across like that, and it isn't my intention to, so you're jumping to conclusions.
Old 29 March 2010, 11:58   #11
Falcon Flight
evicted psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Please don't bore us with more threads like this in the future then
There is a search button at the top and surely you'll find more than one 'best demo' thread.
Btw : Did you really expect someone to comment on each of the 427 demos on that list?
So there are boring threads and interesting threads, and you call them as you see them, but there aren't boring demos and interesting ones.

I get you now.
Old 29 March 2010, 12:00   #12
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
I get you now.
No, not at all. There are threads about what people consider to be the best demos here and threads that have nothing to do with demos at all. Maybe you get my point now?
Old 29 March 2010, 12:03   #13
Falcon Flight
evicted psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
No, not at all. There are threads about what people consider to be the best demos here and threads that have nothing to do with demos at all. Maybe you get my point now?
Please leave my thread if you find it too boring to contribute to.
Old 29 March 2010, 12:08   #14
deicidal
Registered Insane

Quote:
I think it would be boring if we attempted to stifle every conversation by answering "it is all a matter of taste", "each to their own", etc. There would never be an exchange, evolving ideas etc.
I used the comment each to there own as demonstration that although i thought some of the demos on that list wheren't that amazing at the end of the day someone obviously likes it, also my memory is a bit hazy seeing as i haven't looked at some of the products in over 15 years. For example Despair/LSD on the list I saw that and thought did I watch the wrong demo it wasnt anything that special. I wasn't about to start slagging off pecific demos on the list no matter what my opinion of them was.
Old 29 March 2010, 12:08   #15
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Please leave my thread if you find it too boring to contribute to.
Did I hit a nerve? Anyway, if you haven't done it already here's a 'contribution' to your thread : http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=45553
Old 29 March 2010, 12:11   #16
pmc
gone

@ Falcon Flight - Errrr, what...?

I happen to agree with TCD, Graham and StingRay.

Watch and make up your own mind what you like and what you don't.

If you don't believe good and bad are a matter of taste then why initially ask for *our* opinions on a list compiled by someone else as an inidication of *their* opinion...? By your rationale that list is a list of good demos and therefore they are good, full stop, no one else's opinion required.

So.... no need to ask your initial question really was there?
Old 29 March 2010, 12:20   #17
Falcon Flight
evicted psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by deicidal View Post
I used the comment each to there own as demonstration that although i thought some of the demos on that list wheren't that amazing at the end of the day someone obviously likes it, also my memory is a bit hazy seeing as i haven't looked at some of the products in over 15 years. For example Despair/LSD on the list I saw that and thought did I watch the wrong demo it wasnt anything that special. I wasn't about to start slagging off pecific demos on the list no matter what my opinion of them was.
You do realise that if you don't like something, you don't have to slag it off severely, don't you?

My (polite) original request was simply supposed to be a stimulus to some kind of discussion about what demos ppl liked, what demos are critically acclaimed in the scene (because I'm largely ignorant of it, as I said). I didn't want ppl to type out even a short list ( I have an intimidating list already), just maybe express why they think a demo's great from the art-view or technical view, or express what was big in the scene, or criminally underrated etc., then I could check them out

I really don't want to have spell out or spoon feed my intention any more as this is getting odious...
Old 29 March 2010, 12:21   #18
Falcon Flight
evicted psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmc View Post
@ Falcon Flight - Errrr, what...?

I happen to agree with TCD, Graham and StingRay.

Watch and make up your own mind what you like and what you don't.

If you don't believe good and bad are a matter of taste then why initially ask for *our* opinions on a list compiled by someone else as an inidication of *their* opinion...? By your rationale that list is a list of good demos and therefore they are good, full stop, no one else's opinion required.

So.... no need to ask your initial question really was there?
man, I don't want a list, I would like a discussion. See above.
Please leave my thread if you can't stand me, my ways or it!
Old 29 March 2010, 12:22   #19
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Good for you, why do you open such threads then?

Quote:
Why don't you guys grow a pair and claim that objective goodness and badness exists in the Amiga scene?
Why don't you get a clue?

Quote:
Please don't bore me with threads like that in the future.
Old 29 March 2010, 12:26   #20
Falcon Flight
evicted psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
Good for you, why do you open such threads then?
Evidently, I was being silly in thinking someone other than me may have opinions about demos, and maybe some knowledge of them, of which I have none.