Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 22 September 2003, 11:10   #21
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

You need

In-Car CD/MD/MP3 Adaptor
Shark

Bigger Picture

A simple-to-use adaptor that is built into a standard audio cassette and requires no power. Simply plug the lead into the headphone socket of your personal CD, MiniDisc or MP3 player and pop the cassette into your car’s cassette player and press play. You will now be able to listen to the music through your car’s speakers. Also in the kit is a 9Vdc-12Vdc power supply that plugs into your lighter socket and powers your CD/MD/MP3 player.

Look Here
Old 22 September 2003, 13:28   #22
Figi

Yeah, alright, BUT...

if you remember, the C64 datasette (C2N) uses to pause the tape when the commo has found a program. The computer displays the title of the program and waits for the user to press a key. Usually that's the space key, which starts the loading process (the tape un-pauses). You could also press the Run/Stop-key to abort loading if that's not the program you are seeking.

So, when using the method described above with the MP3 and the adaptor, I guess the MP3 is running along instead of pausing and not "waiting for the computer". That way, the C64 misses the first few "seconds" of data.

Only way I can think of to deal with that is to restart the MP3 before confirming the loading procedure by pressing the space bar. That will bring some "useless header data" to the C64 which is anticipating the program code to start right now.

Does the C64 skip the useless header data in the second run? Or do you pause the MP3? Manually?
Old 22 September 2003, 14:11   #23
Mozzy

i forgot about those car adaptor jobbies.. the only way i can think of it is the tapes also used to have a momantery silence at the part of the tape where the c64 paused so watch the loading and whack space as soon as you see searching found whatever
Old 22 September 2003, 19:22   #24
Amiga1992

This methd works, i dont know about that pause dude, teh datassette is mechanical and how would it pause if the commodore orders it too?

I have seen a modified tape drive that takes input from a line, but this method should work just fine
Old 22 September 2003, 20:42   #25
Figi

Quote:
teh datassette is mechanical and how would it pause if the commodore orders it to?
There's some electronic parts in a C2N as well. The connector C/3 on the cassette port (that's the second from the left when viewed from the rear of the C64) can control the motor of the datasette. If there's +5V provided on that port, the motor will start IF the mechanic allows it (i.e., if either play, forward, rewind or record/play is pressed). 0V will stop the motor. Yes, that means if you fry that connector the datasette motor won't spin up at all even if you press play on tape. ;-)

BTW, you can control the motor using some Basic! Just change the addresses 1 and 192 like this:

POKE 192,0:POKE1,PEEK(1)AND223 - turn the motor on
POKE 192,1:POKE1,PEEK(1)OR32 - turn it off.

You can even check if any key on the datasette is currently pressed using WAIT 1,16,16

I checked on that subject and found that the header part uses a synchronization that's different from the program part, plus there's a brief pause between the two parts. The header data is stored in memory. That means, either if you hit the Space Bar fast enough (1-2 seconds will do) OR if you rewind the MP3 and play it again the C64 will automatically recognize the program part and just load it.
Old 22 September 2003, 20:52   #26
Amiga1992

INteresting.

perhaps you have to hit a key real fast so it doenst fuck up. i only saw this hack being done once, so i dunno how it works, and im not much of a C2N user, as you may have noticed
Old 23 September 2003, 02:23   #27
Figi

Yeah, well, can't blame you. There are really just two things that are worth buying a C2N: The "loading" tunes of Last Ninja 2 and Arkanoid II. 'xcept for these, use a 1541 for god's sake. ;-)
Old 30 September 2003, 17:38   #28
ElectroBlaster

Send a message via ICQ to ElectroBlaster
Aynone tried this mp3/wav method with a c64 + datasette?
I have a 64 hiding behind my desk that needs dusting off and firing up!
Old 30 September 2003, 21:42   #29
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

Fraid Im STILL waiting for this line in adaptor from Maplins!!!

So as soon as it arrives, i will try it out on my C128 + C2N
Old 30 September 2003, 23:03   #30
ElectroBlaster

K m8! let me know how it goes

I have two c2n's here and i was tempted to try the mtap interface idea... but removing the lead and making my own lead direct from the tape unit to the printer port!
Old 01 October 2003, 11:00   #31
Figi

Printer port? Dude, why don't U use the cassette port?
:-D
Old 01 October 2003, 22:52   #32
Amiga1992

He means the PC's parallel port.
Old 01 October 2003, 23:07   #33
ElectroBlaster

yeh thats it! instead of getting the mtap interface i was going to try making my own lead to connect the c2n to my pc!

Another thing thats caught my eye is the diagnostic connector thats inside these tape decks! it looks like an exact copy of the c64's tape/edge connector! the lines on the circuit seem to match up.... anyone know more about this?
Old 01 October 2003, 23:46   #34
DeAdLy_cOoKiE

Awesome...

So in theory one could make one big MP3 file containing, for instance every, C64 game available (the entire c64.org collection for instance, if it still existed. Or Arnolds?)?
Old 02 October 2003, 12:59   #35
Figi

Uhm, help me out here. What's the point in connecting a C2N to a PC parallel port!? It'd be much easier to use any MP3 file directly on the PC / convert it into a TAP-file.

Or, if you want to "record" old commodore tapes to MP3, use any tape recorder with a line out and plug it into your soundcard.

Do you want to play an MP3 during an adapter in a C2N to load stuff via pc printer port into a C64 emulator!?

*confused*
Old 03 October 2003, 00:46   #36
ElectroBlaster

This page show what i want to do:

http://markus.brenner.de/adapter/index.html

i want to restore tap images to tape, the c2n looks like the best method to get perfect working tapes!

im still going to try the car stereo/cdplayer kit thing and see what happens! going to get a kit this weekend!
Old 04 October 2003, 19:35   #37
Figi

Hm, dunno, but seems like a lot of trouble for almost nothing. I remember that back in the days we used to copy C64 tapes using a double cassette deck on the stereo rack and that worked fine.

So, I guess if I was to make C64 tapes out of .tap or .wav-files, I'd just connect the PC to a stereo / tape recorder using the line-out and a 3.5" jack->double cinch cable which costs about 3 Euro. Record the tape, and if for some reason the commo doesn't like it, try adjusting the head on the C2N using a small screwdriver. ;-)

After all, it's just plain audio noise. If the C64 doesn't mind compressing to MP3, it won't have no problem with a tape that's been recorded in a regular stereo. Besides, how do you think the audio got into the PeeCee in the first place? ;-) Just the other way round by hooking up a tape deck to the soundcard.
Old 05 October 2003, 06:09   #38
Amiga1992

I think some stuff cannot be copied, originals specially.
Old 05 October 2003, 13:31   #39
Mozzy

not so.. remember ive JUST got a 1541 so ive already been through the process of filling up my tape collection from downloads.

for .prg files (single loaders) use wav-prg to create the sound file to play and record

for .tap files 1:1 copies of the original use 64tapvoc to convert to a voc file then use goldwave or similar to play and record. If by chance the resulting recording doesnt load on the c64 then use goldwave to invert the wave form and try again. Ive had 100% success with this
Old 07 October 2003, 18:13   #40
ElectroBlaster

Yeh it does seem alot of hassle for what im trying to do!

on my amstrad and speccy i was always copying tapes with hifi's/ghetto blasters etc lol!

just gotta fish out my decent tape deck unit and some new tapes!