English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General > Coders. Releases

Old 12 March 2024, 10:26   #61
Reynolds
Alien Breeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedeon View Post
Definition of proper?
Either stable and bugfree display of 3D accelerated gfx and/or support for new cards, also with extending the supported functions whereas possible.
Old 12 March 2024, 22:52   #62
Cowcat

Quote:
Either stable and bugfree display of 3D accelerated gfx
Stable and bugfree are variables that not belong particulary to the minigl library. The actual program were is embedded and even the time were the same program is compiled changes the output result.

Is not the same the original BlitzQuake (that didn't work for 95% Amigas) to my developments of it over the years using almost the same minigl (with small corrections at the time).

Old warp 3D programs out there have issues but people tend to test their cpu performance with those ( as Gears3D demo ) as references.

On top of that, a simple shitty cable used for hd connection or whatever hardware situation, makes a warp3d program unstable by default when it run good on other machines.
Old 13 March 2024, 02:58   #63
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BULI View Post
Option Turn Off: "Play XA/CDDA" don't give up speed (maybe very, very little), but give a comfort for ears (no jerky music can be heard) and we don't lose the game's sound effects
Well, it seemsta me there's an issue. Like ScummVM or various other apps that you can load a CDDA track and it's very slow or stuttery, and we use an MP3 or OGG version and it sounds fine.
I think we talked way back about this, and one theory was that the Mediator->Amiga Motherboard bandwidth was just being eaten up by all of the other traffic. Even though we used a more CPU intensive soundtrack like MP3 or OGG, performance actually increased.
That is-unless you used an actual CD Drive and the audio output was just handled by the hardware mixer.
Old 13 March 2024, 22:43   #64
Cowcat

Quote:
....Like ScummVM or various other apps that you can load a CDDA track and it's very slow or stuttery,
Don't know about ScummVM but If I'm not totally wrong, for FPSE the way data is read is done by means of SCSI device layer even without a real CDROM being used: Of course you're reading an iso image anyway as you're simulating the whole game console.

I (think) I experimented a little with removing XA/CDDA playing but the result was that not all background music was removed or some of the effects were disabled aswell. Probably was game dependent and the fact is every game has different behave while emulated: Some have distorted sounds if they render cpu intensive scenes and others have desynchronized backing track for some seconds but with clean playing and no distortion/stuttering.
Also some games have irq signals that aren't emulated properly because every one of them does it differently and the procedure here is hardcore disassembly in realtime and see what they do. Now multiply the work for every PSX game around (and being a fulltime psx hacker going to the rabbit hole).
Old 23 March 2024, 11:32   #65
Cowcat

New mini-upgrade (beta3b) that seems to increase a little the framerate for G2 ppc cards.