English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 07 November 2007, 12:10   #1
@UAE

Send a message via ICQ to @UAE
Big grin X-Amiga is here!!!

http://www.xamiga.net/
Many things are comming up for Amiga community .
Old 07 November 2007, 17:09   #2
Charlie
. . Mouse . .

Big grin X-Amiga is here!!!

Are you an Amithlon user?
Isn't it great? - oh yes!
OR
-Are you a bit p*ssed it won't run on your latest Uber-box?
(D*mn A(hole).STinc to h*ll! for all their c*ck-ups!)
-Can't be bothered to build a dedicated Amithlon box?
(shame on you! )

Well, X-Amiga is (finally) available for download.
http://xamiga.net/

In a nut-shell its a copy of E-UAE rolled up with a highly stripped out version of Gentoo Linux.

Why?
-Some people don't like that whole running an emulator on top of an alien OS, thing.
-UAE in all its forms is a wonderful, wonderful emulator but it doesn't feel remotely like a real Amiga to use (unlike Amithlon). This is not the emulator's fault, but the cr*ppy underlaying OS getting in the way. In theory using a highly stripped Linux compiled to your hardware will cure both the above issues.

-Also it helps minimize that whole underlaying bloated OS sapping the life out of your Amiga environment, thing. ie More speed.

I'm a bit exited, I hope you are too. I've been banging on for ages about how good the classic OS is with a bit of grunt behind it when you don't have Windoze or Linux underneath spoiling the show.
This is hopefully a more accessible option for those who haven't braved Amithlon.

No, I've not installed it yet. Here's hoping it achieves the above goals!
Old 10 November 2007, 23:55   #3
oldskool

Downloading now

Been waiting for this. Expect a review soon

17kb/s. maybe not that soon lol!

Last edited by oldskool; 10 November 2007 at 23:58. Reason: EEK!

Old 11 November 2007, 00:03   #4
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

oh boy, oh boy, oh boy oh boy.....

time to get personal with XAmiga....

i maybe some time.... if i am not back in a few days.... consider it a worthy download...

oh boy oh boy oh boy......
Old 11 November 2007, 00:52   #5
Marcuz

mmm i don't understand it very well, (not that it's complex, my fault) but 1 question:
http://xamiga.net/screenshot.html
is actually a linux with a skin running one (or more?) istances of windowed emulation, right?
Old 11 November 2007, 01:30   #6
EmuChicken

downloading! :>

you convinced me
Old 11 November 2007, 13:00   #7
Charlie
. . Mouse . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco pedrana View Post
mmm i don't understand it very well, (not that it's complex, my fault) but 1 question:
http://xamiga.net/screenshot.html
is actually a linux with a skin running one (or more?) istances of windowed emulation, right?
Bear with me here. Stuff is getting in the way of my playing...

As I understand it:

What you have is a screen-shot of the modded gentoo live CD. So, yes, a Linux environment is what you get when you boot from the CD...
...the clever bit is the X-Amiga installer rolled into this version:

Instead of installing Linux as such onto your HDD, when you run the installer from the live CD X-Amiga is installed...
...so when you boot off your HDD you get AmigaOS not Linux.

@oldskool:
Welcome to the EAB!

Last edited by Charlie; 11 November 2007 at 13:07.
Old 11 November 2007, 14:27   #8
Bloodwych

I haven't had a chance to try this but it looks very promising.

Looking around my room, I have a few old PC's that I'd love to turn into a dedicated emulated Amiga machine that boots straight into a UAE environment.

Many people seem to be confused about how this works, but we've got to remember it's only a beta and I'm sure instructions and install procedures will improve as development progresses.

I'm going to keep a very careful eye on this and I hope what you said Charlie is true. Looking through the website I still couldn't tell if it only boots into a light Linux themed Workbench, with UAE available to launch, or be made to boot directly into a UAE environment without user intervention.
Old 11 November 2007, 15:13   #9
jabsy
Yeah Hup!

Imagine a catweasel running all your old amiga fdd's with this....
Old 11 November 2007, 16:42   #10
Marcuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabsy View Post
Imagine a catweasel running all your old amiga fdd's with this....
or not. trust me

@charlie: thanks for the explanation
Old 11 November 2007, 17:32   #11
coze
hastala vista winny vista

Send a message via ICQ to coze Send a message via Yahoo to coze
is this based on e-uae ? last time I checked e-uae was not very upto date to winuae's niceities.
Old 12 November 2007, 05:28   #12
whiteb
Fanatically Amiga.

Yes, E-UAE is the core.
Old 12 November 2007, 12:55   #13
blade002
Zone Friend

Damn this looks good

It seems to say though that you need to choose an active Linux partition, but i am a little concerned it may overwrite my current Suse Linux Installation or alter the Grub ?.

Guess i have got a lot of reading to do.

Anyone actually installed this yet?.

Last edited by blade002; 12 November 2007 at 13:03.
Old 12 November 2007, 15:04   #14
Doc Mindie
In deep Trouble

If you're running Linux already: try to get hold of VMWare and test-run it there.

for Winslows, VPC or VMWare should do the trick for a testrun before you actually install (if you choose to install, of course )
Old 14 November 2007, 15:11   #15
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Instead of installing Linux as such onto your HDD, when you run the installer from the live CD X-Amiga is installed...
...so when you boot off your HDD you get AmigaOS not Linux.

So how is this better than Amithlon? It's got Linux running in the background whereas Amithlon only has the Linux kernel but no Linux windowing systems etc?

I guess this will be more compatible and perhaps a tad faster than WinUAE but I'm not "horribly" excited
Old 14 November 2007, 15:39   #16
haps
Rumpig

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade002 View Post
Damn this looks good

It seems to say though that you need to choose an active Linux partition, but i am a little concerned it may overwrite my current Suse Linux Installation or alter the Grub ?.

Guess i have got a lot of reading to do.

Anyone actually installed this yet?.
Just use e-uae on your suse install, x-amiga will not give you any improvements at all.
Old 14 November 2007, 22:20   #17
Charlie
. . Mouse . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methanoid View Post
So how is this better than Amithlon? It's got Linux running in the background whereas Amithlon only has the Linux kernel but no Linux windowing systems etc?

I guess this will be more compatible and perhaps a tad faster than WinUAE but I'm not "horribly" excited
I wholly agree - it's not better than Amithlon, it's MUCH worse!

For those who aren't lucky enough to be using Amithlon:

You can build a sh1t-hot RTG Amiga using Amithlon, but chances are it won't run properly on your current x86 box, you'll have to build a dedicated system.
I'd say it's well worth the effort, especially as top-rated Amithlon parts can be found on eBay for buttons. But for many that may not be practicable.

AOS + *UAE will not run 'right' on any non-RTOS (AmigaXL) - end of story.

BUT...
It may well be very hard to tell with something like X-Amiga... There's hopefully insufficient Linux running underneath to mess AOS up that badly.
...and it should work on just about any x86 box.
...and if like me you regard Linux as the 'disgusting son of unspeakable slime' at least you won't have to watch it booting.

There's no chance I'll stop using Amithlon for the foreseeable future, unless someone want's to give me a copy of Umilator, but X-Amiga should be a great alternate

I really must find the time to actually install it & see...

Last edited by Charlie; 20 November 2007 at 21:34.
Old 20 November 2007, 20:54   #18
Fractallyte

My first post - I can't resist clarifying a few things...

X-Amiga is a custom Linux, built from scratch - not a repackaged or cut-down distro. I mention Gentoo in the 'About' page because that's what I used to build it! However, apart from the kernel, nothing else is inherited from that distribution.

It's as 'un-bloated' as possible. ~40MB may seem excessive, but half of that is taken up by the kernel, some by the splash graphics and the rest by mostly essential packages. It has networking, CPU frequency adjustment, USB access, security... Not too bad. I still intend to cut it down further!

A large kernel has no impact on speed. Very few services are started up, and the kernel itself is optimised for running one program well (E-UAE).

The one screenshot I've posted on the site is of the installer. It's just Linux, on a bootable CD. The window manager is called AmiWM - it mimics the look and feel of the Amiga. There's also an OS1.x mouse pointer theme. The shell is just a customised ATerm, and the familiar-looking file manager is Worker, a DOpus clone. No emulation is used here, it's all just Linux.

The installer (a GTK dialog script) copies a suite of packages to the destination, together with the kernel and some scripts. And E-UAE, of course. Again, this part is all Linux. The only Amiga files to be copied are your legally-acquired ROM(s), and a pre-installed operating system (whichever one you want to use: from 1.x to 3.x).

It won't overwrite any existing data partitions unless you tell it to! I was extremely careful about this. The summary screen warns which partitions will be deleted; the user has an opportunity to change the destination or abort installation, and only at the end - when pressing the 'Install' button - do the changes become irrevocable.

I suppose X-Amiga could be considered a Linux distro in its own right. In any case, all the installed packages exist only as infrastructure for E-UAE. And while E-UAE might not be as far along as WinUAE, it runs on an Open Source operating system: Linux. That's good enough.

The main reason in creating this was to provide as seamless an 'Amiga experience' as possible. So there's no scrolling text, no configuration screens, no icons to click-to-start. It boots as rapidly as it can into a genuine Amiga workbench. When you exit, it shuts down the computer.

I know Amithlon is better. I can claim only that X-Amiga is also a good solution. Naturally, I'd welcome technical input from users. I'm documenting everything; it's all wide open to peruse and hack!

Anyway, I'd better get back to updating it... Sorry about the boot problems!

Amir
Old 20 November 2007, 21:25   #19
Charlie
. . Mouse . .

@Fractallyte:

About X-Amiga:
I just wanted to say

and...
a big, BIG, BIG welcome to the EAB!

I hope you enjoy it here - do stick around.

BTW:
My previous post was meant to be somewhat tongue-in-cheek - I hope it didn't cause offense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
...I'm a bit exited, I hope you are too...

Last edited by Charlie; 20 November 2007 at 21:35.
Old 20 November 2007, 21:47   #20
oldskool

Yeah, thanks mate, Im still playing around with this

Keep it up!