English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 10 May 2019, 02:32   #1
rogcad

Which programming language

Hi. I'm wanting to download an Amiga emulator along with a programming language for the purpose of using the Amiga text-to-speech feature in a very simple program containing just text. The synthesized voice in the Amiga from long ago was very robotic sounding -- very crude, and had mono-emphasis (i.e. mono-accent) regarding syllables. That is what I seek.

So.. which emulator, and which programming language, and where to find the programming language please? I have available to me Windows XP, Vista, 7, and 10 on which to install the emulator.
Thanks,
rogcad

Old 10 May 2019, 09:47   #2
Daedalus

For the emulator, WinUAE is the go-to, it's a very comprehensive emulator that will do everything you need.

As for programming language, you don't really need one if you just want to hear the speech. AmigaOS 1.x and 2.x shipped with tools for reading text directly. OS 3.x didn't, but the relevant components can be transferred across from previous versions. You'll need to get a copy of the OS (both disks and ROM image), but then you're ready to go.

I believe the voice library was somewhat improved in 2.x over 1.x, but it's easy to try both out when you have an emulator - just swap between them at will.

If you want something a little more interactive, Blitz Basic 2.1 has simple instructions for using the speech system, including options for controlling the various parameters (speed, pitch, etc.)
Old 10 May 2019, 11:33   #3
rogcad

Thanks !

Old 10 May 2019, 13:39   #4
daxb

There is also a lot of "say" stuff on Aminet to try.