English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 09 October 2003, 13:46   #1
Cactus

Amiga Music and OctaMED

I've just installed DeliPlayer and it's strange, MOD's i havent heard in 10+ years i still know the whole tune to..

Amiga music holds a special place for me since it's the reason i passed my music GCSE - I was the only kid who could supply a full song from start to finish on cassette, OctaMED was the best

The best ever mod, IMO is The Last Sun from the demo of the same name (btw, anyone know what group they're referring to that "died two months ago"??). Just wondering what the fave mods are from the height of the scene, and what it all means to you guys

Old 09 October 2003, 14:14   #2
Figi

My favourite mod is the first track from "Desert Dream" demo, made by Laxity.
Old 09 October 2003, 14:34   #3
rattus

you got to use Amigas for your GCSE music course? lucky bastard! when I did my GCSEs our schools music dept had just replaced our perfectly capable Atari STs with a load of Win98 boxes

*grumble*
Old 09 October 2003, 14:59   #4
Big-Byte
Long time member

You were lucky. When I did my GCSE's we had real instruments to play with - not a computer in site...

However in the computer class we were getting to grips with the envelope command on the schools bbc micros and producing sound that way.. then after school we used to go down dixons and write a quick program so that whoever touched the keyboard next would trigger a loud siren sound coming out

Great fun watching people jump!
Old 09 October 2003, 15:23   #5
Cactus

It was my own Amiga, i had to do it all at home but cos i loved making music (still do - Octamed's the first thing going on the 1200 when i get it) i didn't mind.

The school only had RM Nimbus machines in the whole place and we had to teach the teachers to use them cos they hadn't a clue, our IT Teacher was a maths teacher who thought she could play it by ear,

Old 09 October 2003, 16:01   #6
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally posted by Figi
My favourite mod is the first track from "Desert Dream" demo, made by Laxity.
That's a very good one. I have many favorites actually, naming but one would be unfair!

I have an "Amiga with Music Class" experience too Our lame music course approached the subject of electronic music, sampling, etc. I told the teacher bitch "hey, I've got this computer at home, which has a sampler, a tracker, and all that kind of shit. I can bring it here and we show what it does. It's the bestest, it will r0x0r j00r s0x0rz". Well not exactly like that She agreed!

So I took my trusty A600 to school, we connected it to the TV, and I showed around the tracker. Mainly to friends because most people were not interested in my nerdy device (specially girls) but it was a good excuse to have a class of doing absolutely NOTHING . Even the school's principal came around to see the marvel gizmo, the bitch didn't have the slightest clue and my friends found much delight in making a song with burp and fart sounds to annoy the principal

Oh, I was running Digital Sound Studio by GVP, my first ever tracker program!

Ooohh, good ole days *wipes tears off eyes*
Old 10 October 2003, 10:11   #7
plasmatron
Zone Friend

The ENIGMA main tune is one of my fav tunes. I think the composer was JESTER?
Old 18 January 2019, 23:05   #8
oundfire99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus View Post
I've just installed DeliPlayer and it's strange, MOD's i havent heard in 10+ years i still know the whole tune to..

Amiga music holds a special place for me since it's the reason i passed my music GCSE - I was the only kid who could supply a full song from start to finish on cassette, OctaMED was the best

The best ever mod, IMO is The Last Sun from the demo of the same name (btw, anyone know what group they're referring to that "died two months ago"??). Just wondering what the fave mods are from the height of the scene, and what it all means to you guys
I like this
Old 18 January 2019, 23:07   #9
oundfire99

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattus View Post
you got to use Amigas for your GCSE music course? lucky bastard! when I did my GCSEs our schools music dept had just replaced our perfectly capable Atari STs with a load of Win98 boxes

*grumble*
You're lucky we only ad recorders, nasty sounding things!
Old 09 February 2019, 19:20   #10
MikeRichmond

My favourite Mod back in the day was 4Mat's Madness, but there are so many other brilliant tunes I had forgotten about until I delved into Modizer and started digging around. Guitar Slinger amazed me at the time, and I'd forgotten how good some of the commercial game music was at the time - stuff like Hired Guns and Nitro had completely slipped my mind.