English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 18 December 2010, 09:09   #21
coze
hastala vista winny vista

Send a message via ICQ to coze Send a message via Yahoo to coze
does this thing do true 1541 emulation like the 1541u ? or just standard loader compatibility (like mmc64 or 1541-III)
Old 18 December 2010, 17:04   #22
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

I'm pretty sure it's a full 1541 compatible emulation.
Old 18 December 2010, 19:26   #23
xc8
no c= no fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigarobbo View Post
But it will work with a c128 in 64 mode though won't it?
C128 has different timing on the cartridge port.
I even had problems with some carts like 1541U (some crt images
produces 'noise' on screen) or MMC64.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
I'm pretty sure it's a full 1541 compatible emulation.
i doubt... probably is MMC64 compatible

Last edited by TCD; 18 December 2010 at 19:32. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Use multi-quote.
Old 18 December 2010, 19:31   #24
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

No, Jens mentioned some month ago in Forum 64 that he aims a 100% 1541 emulation.
Old 18 December 2010, 19:54   #25
xc8
no c= no fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
No, Jens mentioned some month ago in Forum 64 that he aims a 100% 1541 emulation.
good then ! (just I hope from them to update the chameleon core
or the c-one)
Old 25 December 2010, 14:30   #26
_psy

Chameleon 64 page updated

PS/2 keyboard connector with joystick emulation on numeric keypad (for C64-tower projects)

http://www.syntiac.com/chameleon.html
Old 26 December 2010, 00:09   #27
wXR

Is it possible to do a hard-reset from the keyboard with this cart?
Old 05 April 2011, 16:19   #28
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

It seems the Chameleon can be used as a stand-alone unit, so it's possibilities must be great.

It has Connector for RR-Net (10 Mbit Ethernet). What I want to know is what kind of internet connection can you have with an old C64, or if now it's gonna be better with the Chameleon. I mean, could it be possible to have something like what you get with Ibrowse?
Old 05 April 2011, 20:18   #29
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

No. And WTF would you even want to try?? It's really just for file transfer. The whole point of the Chameleon is to make it easier to experience classic games. Not to add stoopid things like web-browsing.

The right tool for the right job. Use a modern computer to browse the net and classic hardware to play classic games.
Old 05 April 2011, 22:22   #30
rockersuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofan View Post
It seems the Chameleon can be used as a stand-alone unit, so it's possibilities must be great.

It has Connector for RR-Net (10 Mbit Ethernet). What I want to know is what kind of internet connection can you have with an old C64, or if now it's gonna be better with the Chameleon. I mean, could it be possible to have something like what you get with Ibrowse?
eer, sorry, that was fun! You bet it won't! If you could network your C64 you could expect something like what the Speccy guys have achieved with their Spectranet thing. Nice to play twitter with it!

--
Old 05 April 2011, 23:22   #31
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Ok, you never know. Then, I'll go on with my C64sd (http://c64sd.roxer.com/). I can play any game using an sd card and for 60€, instead of 199€. Ok, I can only use it in my C64, but that's exactly what I want.

@rockersuke you laugh very loud. In fact as you say the Spectrum can connect the web as you say ( [ Show youtube player ]), and see how it plays videos:
[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by Retrofan; 05 April 2011 at 23:30.
Old 06 April 2011, 14:16   #32
rockersuke

Yup! I know about the streaming-video feature. We've seen it live at our regular local retro-computing meetings (same place as the retro-gaming party I youtubed here last year), where the tiny little thing has been seen in action. Mr. Dylan Smith, its creator, went himself one day, as it coincided with his conference at Zaragoza the day before at Retracción (recorded here, It was nice to see him doing his best to give a speech in spanish ) but on that precise ocassion I was outta town. Daaaaamn!!!

--
Old 21 April 2011, 11:55   #33
ggizmotigger

i see the cables on chameleon are 2 ps2 leads but what is the large round plug is that to plug 1541 in it as when you use it without a c64?

Old 21 April 2011, 16:05   #34
kipper2k

does Amigakit have these in stock?
Old 21 April 2011, 16:15   #35
gehtjanx
Banned

@ ggizmotigger:

Cables are:
2x PS/2 for keyboard and mouse
1x 6 pin DIN IEC/serial port for 1541 connection etc.
1x USB for power only when NOT plugged in C64.

USB for data (flashing) is on PCB.

As often with Individual products it's not finished and currently 1541 emulation does not support loading a d64, so it's pretty useless even if customers think it's similar to 1541U. Currently, it's not.

gehtjanx
Old 21 April 2011, 16:36   #36
Hewitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofan
I can play any game using an sd card and for 60€, instead of 199€. Ok, I can only use it in my C64, but that's exactly what I want.
I think you'll find games/demos with certain loaders will fail as the 1541U is currently the only device which offers full 1541 emulation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gehtjanx
As often with Individual products it's not finished and currently 1541 emulation does not support loading a d64
Old 21 April 2011, 17:35   #37
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
As often with Individual products it's not finished and currently 1541 emulation does not support loading a d64, so it's pretty useless even if customers think it's similar to 1541U. Currently, it's not.
I guess Jens regrets it now a bit that he've made the Chameleon hardware available for an "open Beta", if he reads such silly posts. The Chamelon is still NOT an official retail product, and it was advertised in this way from the beginning. Look at Vesalia!

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 22 April 2011 at 03:08.
Old 21 April 2011, 19:05   #38
gehtjanx
Banned

I know what's written on Vesalia.

I also know that Bhudda IDE is not working with CF cards. Individual Computer products often cost more and do less then old hardware. There is a patch in amibay, but instead of fix it, he sells 50+ Euros adapters to make CF cards working on Buddha (trueide). Also he's the only that cannot handle C128 timings. No other hardware has problems with C128. Think about this (ok, chameleon is a bit special, but you can look at all producs, including ACA with problems and limitations). Also Cone was a flop in itself, very few cores available, etc. MMCR users were upset with update philosophy and now Chameleon that will maybe not support things customers will expect. CloneA is "no where". Very strange. So he's doing FPGA since 2002 (C one) and after 10 years he has no working product (Chameleon).

For me, selling a not-finished product is a bit a shame. Also Cone was not finished but sold and look at this desaster. So for me there are limitations on the design of his hardware with no reason because other shows that all is possible.

And I don't want to discuss this further. This is my opinion and everybody can think what he want to think about. I have my reasons and opinion, you have your own, that's OK and I have not said that his products are bad, but he is simply not possible to make things working the way they COULD work.

@Hewitson:
I do not own a Chameleon, but loading D64 is currently not implemented. You can make a POKE with activating 1541 and then load and save programs on a blank d64, but loading images as on 1541U is currently not supported.

gehtjanx
sry for a bit OT and telling the truth here I know that others will disagree, but this is no discussion about other products. Thanks
Old 21 April 2011, 19:13   #39
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

A shame that you post so much bollocks, about things you obvioulsy didn't understand properly. If you can't handle IC products, don't buy them. I guess you never wrote a proper bugreport, relatead to things you've mentioned here.
Old 21 April 2011, 19:19   #40
gehtjanx
Banned

It's not up to me, Jens itself says that Buddha cannot handle CF cards. But when buying it, there was no mention about that it cannot handle all IDE devices (but a big promotion with 100% IDE specification). This is bad.

No bug report, as I expect the best product and the function that it should have. If I buy an IDE controller card, it should handle IDE devices, don't you think so? It's easy: Buddha cannot handle CF, all other old IDE cards can. So this is a step backwards. I do not like false promises or expactations and also do not support this. He makes products that are limited by it's design with intention.

EDIT: I have MMC64, that is great. I was excited about C-One, but dissapointed as it was not doing what I expected, so I did not buy it. Also I have Buddha, but it's limited and not IDE compatible (Cf cards). Also I was thinking about ACA1230, but the CPU is too high to close the port cover, there are other limitations. And I do not like the concept of flickrfixer and ACA630 with this socket-pull-on. I would love an external flickerfixer But they are not available sadly.

gehtjnax

Last edited by gehtjanx; 21 April 2011 at 19:25.