English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 28 December 2009, 19:05   #1
Photon

WinUAE 2.0.1.0 crash when adjusting sound card volume

I'm not 100% that it's the volume adjustment that crashed it, however when I pressed Windows+arrowup, a black rectangle appeared on the WinUAE screen. "Right", said I, I have to alt-tab away from WinUAE before using it, so I did.

Two seconds or so later, a Windows dialog appeared telling me it had created a crash dump, where the black rectangle had appeared. (Attached)
Attached Files
File Type: dmp winuae_201_20091228_185221.dmp (48.4 KB, 188 views)
Old 28 December 2009, 19:23   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Repeatable? Not some utility attempting to show volume bars or something on winuae's screen?
Old 28 December 2009, 19:43   #3
Photon

I thought you were onto something there. The error repeated, also when the volume meter was below the WinUAE window. And I got the sequence wrong above - it's not possible to adjust it when WinUAE is active - I alt-tabbed first, adjusted, and 2 secs later, crash dialog.

Did some testing - started WinUAE and a different config, alt-tabbed to Thunderbird (random app), minimized Thunderbird to see the WinUAE window again. WinUAE window was all black, and a few seconds later, "crash detected".

Could it be related to WinUAE "getting focus back"? I've had this black window before when alt-tabbing, and then it has helped with F12+OK button. But this time I couldn't do that, ofc.

Dump and config attached.
Attached Files
File Type: dmp winuae_201_20091228_193718.dmp (44.0 KB, 180 views)
File Type: uae mya600.uae (15.4 KB, 182 views)
Old 28 December 2009, 20:08   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

btw, usually it is very good idea to test with basic a500 quickstart, without filters, without anything extra.. I am very rarely interested in looking at config files.

Always remove as many extra unknown variables as possible.
Old 28 December 2009, 20:23   #5
Photon

Both my threads seem to be related to the graphics driver. What, in your opinion, is the reason I see only the "Primary Display Driver" on this PC, whereas on the other PC I see it and also "ATI Radeon blah..."? (If you think it could at all be related to "not talking to the primary driver properly" or "Primary-crap not correct in driver".)

Edit:
Restart+Quickstart A500 = filter/scaling/scanlines settings kept, trash kept, could not find the DH2 harddisk directory.

Rename mya600.uae to something else, close down winuae, start winuae, goes to configuration list, I go quickstart A500, I get a glitch-free hand with kick 1.3-disk.

Without restarting anything, I changed rom to kick 2.0 (just to see if there wasn't white trash on white kick-bg ), no trash. Then I changed from filter:none to Direct3D, scaling 2x and 4x, no glitch. But when I resized the window, the glitch appeared.

Ofc with double, the graphics were still too big vertically (higher than 1200px :P), so I changed from Double to Normal, and I suddenly had about 10px FULL of trash, in different green and pink colors this time! I didn't resize the window this time - it was big enough.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	glitch3.JPG
Views:	275
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	23783  
Attached Files
File Type: txt winuaebootlog.txt (8.8 KB, 174 views)

Last edited by Photon; 28 December 2009 at 20:34.
Old 28 December 2009, 20:40   #6
Photon

Do you think it could be an error in calculating the buffer-allocation size, when filter settings are changed? (Or simply when Direct3D is used?) It doesn't seem like it, since the graphics glitch from the other thread implies that it doesn't only "display pixels from beyond the end of the WinUAE buffer", it must actually copy them with several blits, since the ad-text and the down-arrow graphic comes from two different parts of the screen.

I should also add that I use the commandline option to remove the backbuffer, I can try but I need some food...
Old 28 December 2009, 20:46   #7
Photon

OK, tried simply starting winuae.exe without options, quickstart a500, didn't find ROM so I gave it kick 2.0.

- resized window to make it big, no trash (just black after the last Amiga-pixelline )
- changed from double to Normal, no trash, even larger black part ofc
- changed from none to Direct3D, no trash visible
- resized the window to almost 1200px (it wasn't quite as high as the screen), trash appeared.

No other settings changed.
Old 28 December 2009, 20:57   #8
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

You have way too complex theory. There are no buffers in D3D or multiple blits or whatever.

There is only "alloctexture(width, height)", then once per frame: lock texture, write data to texture, unlock texture, blit to display. Blit step is single call. The display driver does the rest, scaling, clipping, etc, including the garbage.

D3D code is not mine, it is slightly modified from some example somewhere which hopefully explains my lack of interest. (and I don't see any garbage and I have D3D enabled by default)
Old 28 December 2009, 22:54   #9
Photon

The theory was mostly to explain that it is not just "showing something beyond end of buffer". Something copied the searchfield dropdown-button (except grey background) from the top right of Opera window, to bottom right of WinUAE window. But I understand your not feeling the need to explain the phenomemenon

And something copied the ad (except white text) from middle right of Opera window to bottom left of WinUAE window.

Don't get me wrong, I understand you completely. Because my lack of interest is greater than yours. I don't even touch c/c++ except when to setup some header file to insert asm.

If I can somehow conjure up a newer DX version or get tips of a more compatible version, then that's the logical step.

If that fails I'll try a separate 2.0.1.0 install in another dir, then a driver update.

It's just ... strange, since I haven't really seen any glitches in any other program so far. I have a few games, lots of emus, and an absolute plethora of apps. Well, actually there is "kind of" a glitch in Maya, but it's well known that Maya sucks for anything but Quadro cards.
Old 28 December 2009, 23:04   #10
Photon

It's far more likely that it's the usual p*ssing on 64-bit "drivers" that is the culprit, and that I will never really have a fully working 64-bit version of DirectX. Oh well. 64-bit was hot sh*t in 2005.

Us coders know it's not really about anything except going beyond 3GB for OSes and programs that don't really need it.

[Edit: to end the thread on a positive note (truth hurts the sensitive), I might add that two glasses of Merlot with supper made me forget my sorrows, consider not to bother with this feature at all, and certainly stop considering reinstalling my machine from scratch. 64-bit is A OK with the YMCA! Yay!]

Last edited by Photon; 28 December 2009 at 23:30.
Old 29 December 2009, 23:22   #11
Photon

This was not a bug per se; I traced it to an error in the registry. Thread can be closed.
Old 30 December 2009, 13:32   #12
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Can you explain the error? Better have problem solution here if/when someone else have similar problems.
Old 31 December 2009, 02:49   #13
Photon

Actually, I'm not sure I've solved it. I remapped Scroll Lock to the Windows-key in the registry a while back, and when I got a new keyboard just now and removed the remapping, the problem went away. I'm not sure the problem is gone, but I'd rather assume there was a problem with how I think Windows should work, than a bug (which can no longer be reproduced).

Or, you could put it this way: "Shrug".