English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 04 August 2006, 18:31   #1
alewis
Monochrome and 8 bit

C64/3D vs C64/3D vs Picasso IV (or both)

Hmm, asked this back in Dec 2004, but didn't get very far..

I'm resurrecting my A4K, and stuck for which gfx card to fit.

I have
Cybervision 64/3D Phase 5 model, with the Eyetech scandoubler (and flicker fixer, if memory serves right) with an A-mon switcher.
Cybervisions 64/3D DCE model, later manufacturing date
Picasso IV with the scandoubler/flicker-fixer (and Pablo)

First question
Is there any difference between the Phase 5 C64/3D and the DCE model? I know the DCE model was made under [acquired] licence. Any bugs ironed out/introduced? Any advantages?

Second question.
Which performs better - C64/3D or PIV? I've seen totally contradictory information regarding this, even within the same articles... I'm not really interested in 3D games, just standard workbench plus perhaps some apps like Final Write, etc, and maybe some "old" shooters like R-Type.

Third question - a bit chicken and egg given the above Q.
CybergraphX or Picasso96 for drivers? My understanding is that P96 has not been developed in a looong time, whilst Cybergfx is somewhat more recent (relevant term, I know). I *thought* CGFX was for Cybervisions, and P96 for Picasso cards, but it appears they have been interchangeable for some time and both support both cards... hmm, not that I can find CGFX anywhere now.

Q4 - can they both work togther?
Maybe a daft question, but can both cards co-exist in the same Amiga? I'm juts wondering, should there be pro's and con's to each card, whether they can co-exist... and how.

Q5 - the TRUTH behind the scan doublers and flicker fixers.
This is what really confused me. Both cards - either inbuilt or via addons - claim to have flicker-fixer and scan-doublers. Some suggest this is not so, and "native" Amiga screens, such as games, are passed straight through and I will need a monitor that accepts a 15KHz signal. Pardon? I thought a scan doubler did just that, and promoted a 15KHz signal to a 31.5Khz VGA signal... So whats the truth on each (PIV and the Eyetech Amon and FFV/Scandoubler?)

Please, don't advise me to buy anything. Spending more money is not an option. I did have a B2000 with Picasso II, and whilst in 1995/6 that was sooo fast, I do recall booting her up last year prior to sale and thinking, "christ, I can see the workbench background being redrawn". It was slow. I'm not expecting miracles from either card, just something better than the PII. Or standard Workbench!

Background info
The A4K is currently in a desktop case with Warp Engine 040/40. I have a Cyberstorm PPC/060 to go in at some stage, once I get the base machine up and running, and then probably transplant to a tower case c/w some PCI expansion board. But lets walk before run, so please no advice to invest in a Voodoo or summat (I have some of them, too.. when this works!)
Old 04 August 2006, 18:34   #2
Chain
A-Collector, repairments

Send a message via ICQ to Chain
R3:
i have better experience with P96 drivers (CV64 and picassoII only), looks more stable to me IMHO
Old 04 August 2006, 18:56   #3
keropi

install the pIV that has a full 24bit scandoubler AFAIK , nad use CGX if you can... nothing beats cgx...
Old 04 August 2006, 22:59   #4
Flashlab

I use a PIV in my Amiga4000 and I think it's great! Scandoubler works great on standard VGA monitor. I run WorkBench in 800x600 @ 75Hz; that's because my monitor can't handle more (crappy 15"Optiquest...).

Don't have any experience with CV64 3D but I believe in performance they don't really differ much from the PIV.

Oh and I use Picasso96 because CGX v3 is older and v4 isn't free. Picasso96 also offers CGX3 emulation and so far all software works great with it.
Old 05 August 2006, 10:44   #5
alewis
Monochrome and 8 bit

Hmm. Thanks for responses so far guys. Anyone else.

Stuck at the moment as I can't get a floppy drive to work in the Miggy :-( The existing HD did work with the C64/3D though, so I'll have to get it working with that for now, and then progress onwards. But keep the advice coming :-)
Old 05 August 2006, 11:47   #6
keropi

it is obvious, no advice nescessary! PICASSOIV
Old 05 August 2006, 14:42   #7
alewis
Monochrome and 8 bit

Lol. When it comes to PC hardware, I know what is what, what is best for a given situation, etc. But I lost track of the Amiga just after the mid-90's. Remember picking up an Amiga mag in Scotland in 2000, and lost by the number of "forks" it had taken; AmigaOne, OS this, OS that, Morph, Warp, etc etc.

Whichever one I don't use will go in the A1200 box, I guess.
Old 28 November 2006, 02:17   #8
alewis
Monochrome and 8 bit

Resurrecting this thread again, for a very simple reason.

Does the Picasso IV have an inbuilt scandoubler? Please, only respond if you knwo through experience, rather than something read.

The specs in the manual lista 100Khz flicker fixer. Later, it refers to it as a flicker fixer *and* scan doubler.

If it includes a scandoubler, then presumably native Amiga modes - bar multi-scan and doubled modes - are scandoubled and passed via the card's DB15 connector.

But mine doesnt do that. To display a native mode I have to swap the cable back into the other output...

So

does it have a scandoubler, or just a flicker fixer???
Old 28 November 2006, 06:14   #9
adolescent