English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 19 May 2006, 01:00   #21
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olecranon
OS4 is probably finished enough to be sold right now, but there isn't any hardware being sold that will run it. That makes OS4 about as worthless as a three legged cat burying turds on a frozen pond... Unless your one of the five people who paid way too much money for their AmigaOnes a few years back.

Well said. Like I always said here, AMigaOnes and OS 4 is for fanatics and dreamers who just can't let go.
Old 19 May 2006, 02:36   #22
Widriksen

I for one would LOVE to se the AMIGA OS runing nativly on an x86 platform.
Even Apple has seen the futility in beating a dead horse, and started with the intel platform.
Now that 64 bit and dual core processors are available even the amiga one platform (who ever dreamed up that sorry idea?) will have to realize that the old days are over, and that the "old" amiga is gone. My current PC will kick the a** of any stock amiga out there even the fastest A1, and im running a "bloated XP".......When i REALLY wanted to be running AMIGA OS....NATIVLY.....not on an emulator.

Would it be great to have the A/OS running, using the hardware more efficiently, running all the old Amiga games/apps in a window, while having all the advantage of a the newer hardware?

As i wrote in another post somewhere: I still love my AMIGA's (both of them), and i am running the OS3.9 on an emu right now. I haven't completely givin up on it.
But reality is: The x86 platform won. There is no way that an new hardware platform can compete with the marked that the x86 platform has now. No point in even trying. The list is long. Atari, Amiga,Sun, and a lot more "specialized" hardware platforms are either gone, or switched over to the x86 platform.
The only "last hope" for the AMIGA is for it's software to be ported over....and FAST! Apple has done so and they might just be able to gain ground on MS on the OS marked. Why not let AMIGA join in on that marked too?

Thoughts any one?
Old 19 May 2006, 07:32   #23
keropi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant512
They're probably delaying OS4 to ensure that it runs Duke Nukem Forever properly and is fully compatible with Infinium Labs' Phantom console.
I agreee too! max compatibillity must be ensured first, we can wait another 5-6 years, no prob!
Old 19 May 2006, 13:15   #24
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widriksen
The only "last hope" for the AMIGA is for it's software to be ported over....and FAST! Apple has done so and they might just be able to gain ground on MS on the OS marked. Why not let AMIGA join in on that marked too?

Thoughts any one?
I agree... we've got the hardware cheap enough and its good...but we need AmigaOS... or alternatives to WinBloat... but with all those X86 games on Windows machines it would be handy to be able to Dual Boot Windows and Amiga or handy if there were libraries available to allow you to keep running Amiga but play those nice DirectX games etc?

Would be a challenge but if there was an AmigaOS I think some of those Miggy enthusiasts who use PCs now might well return and the small developer could return?
Old 19 May 2006, 13:47   #25
keropi

let's be reallistic... every amiga OS is less advanced and has less support + programs, there is no way it can compete with OSX or windows...
Look at linux, it has much support, many progs but still cannot compete with the "leaders"
It would require a huge effort to bring AOS to such a level...
the way I see it , this is a dream... too good to be true...
Old 19 May 2006, 16:30   #26
Widriksen

Quote:
Originally Posted by keropi
let's be reallistic... every amiga OS is less advanced and has less support + programs, there is no way it can compete with OSX or windows...
Look at linux, it has much support, many progs but still cannot compete with the "leaders"
It would require a huge effort to bring AOS to such a level...
the way I see it , this is a dream... too good to be true...
Agree. It would be an uphill battle all the way, but what is needed in that case, is advertisement, and the understanding that the OS it self needs to be MUCH more userfriendly than linux.

Linux has made the "mistake" of being branched out in to many different compilations that are not always compatable.Also Linux can not be said the be userfriendly at all....Granted it has come a long from the begining, but you still need to be a semi nerd to be able to understand what you are doing and how to operate, let a lone install it.

The key is to make the x86 AMIGA OS so userfriendly that ordinary people will be able to install it with out nowing if he/she is running on a hafferlaffer, of hifferdiffer processor, a gÿlmerööt, or a weismanknöpfler chip set.....(If you get my drift. Let the install process be automatik, easy, and the cd's/dvd's bloated with option, so that nothing needs to be downloaded first, and all mr, or ms. hansen has to do is to insert the cd/dvd that is requested durring the install process.

"Welcome to the install process.....

Now installing AMIGA OS on your computer. Please wait.

Please insert DVD nr 3.

Installation done. welcome to the AMIGA universe, and enjoy"

Let the part where you emulate/run old programs be for the more nerdy people if they want it so, but if widespread usage of the AMIGA OS is to have ANY chance, it needs to cater for the regular user, as well as the gamer, and the nerd.

Like there product or not, MS got it right with there Windows series. It is FAR from perfect.....i guess we can ALL agree on that, but it is the most userfriendly (seen from the average users point of view), it had a company with a marketing strategy behind it. That made there succes.
I am pretty sure that the same thing can be done by another company on the same hardware platform.....I just hope it would be the AMIGA.

Make it windows compatable? Yeah..Sure. Why not? HUGE software base to grab from.

"MS Word is now starting......Dumbing down and bloating your Amiga OS......"

Who do we preasure to get things started?
Old 19 May 2006, 20:16   #27
Ultron
Something

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred the Duck
Well said. Like I always said here, AMigaOnes and OS 4 is for fanatics and dreamers who just can't let go.
Go visit http://www.AmigaWorld.net, they look like the Afghanistan of OS's. Complete lunatic fanatics. The stupidest part is they're not even Amiga fans, since the hardware isn't even an Amiga but some PPC dated shite even Apple decided to let go.

Perhaps http://www.aros.org will be the only viable future solution.