cloudude

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_pasi View Post
Well played, cloudude
Thanks el_pasi! you too
Old 23 February 2024, 20:24   #23
lifeschool
Local Moderator

Yes, well done everyone on their improvements.

It can be very annoying to get past level 2, but Pasquale posted a perfect run of it in his video, for those struggling.
Old 29 February 2024, 01:00   #24
lifeschool
Local Moderator

Five people completed the game now. Maybe there came be more?
Old 01 March 2024, 10:51   #25
cloudude

Zero continues used. This score is still quite beatable, and there are a couple of rough-ish levels in the run. I completed earlier today with 3 continues on a score that would have been around 420k with zero continues.

If people kept playing this for a while it's likely we'd see scores of 420-425k, and it can probably go higher than that too if the points are maximised.

From a difficulty standpoint, the second checkpoint of chapter 6 is the only part that gives me consistent problems, though I can still lose at any time, to cops in particular.

Video is at https://www.twitch.tv/videos/2077616572 (timestamp 06:35:50 - 07:01:00)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	outrun score 2.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	81744  
Old 01 March 2024, 22:06   #26
lifeschool
Local Moderator

Great going.

Cloudude, we are heading to the final week of the round, so of course we are seeing players reach the tail edge of their runs. In my experience, the final week is fairly quiet, because stress and effort can lead to bad luck, so maybe this score will be enough. Having remaining turbos proves that it is possible to not even use them on some levels. I can see you are enjoying the game, and play it a lot online. Maybe you never sleep?
Old 02 March 2024, 08:57   #27
cloudude

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeschool View Post
Great going.

Cloudude, we are heading to the final week of the round, so of course we are seeing players reach the tail edge of their runs. In my experience, the final week is fairly quiet, because stress and effort can lead to bad luck, so maybe this score will be enough. Having remaining turbos proves that it is possible to not even use them on some levels. I can see you are enjoying the game, and play it a lot online. Maybe you never sleep?
Thankfully I'm getting better at sleep these days! I streamed it in 45-60 minute chunks early on then stopped for a week when I got 400k. I started again after seeing more people were beating it, so about 10 sessions in total.

Yeah, I only use the turbos sparingly, either if I'm close to being stuck behind cops or at certain checkpoints that I need extra speed on if(when) I've crashed, specifically L3 C3, L4 C2, L6 C2; other than that I won't use them. I don't like to go too fast anyway and find myself going slower and slower and just try not to crash. A lot of the checkpoints have fairly generous time allowances.
Old 07 March 2024, 12:52   #28
cloudude

417,354 + 10,000 - 5,000

Had 3-4 sessions since my last score posted and improved a few times but was really eyeing a 420k with no continues if possible. Ultimately it's been tricky, and I was on some decent scoring pace today but kept dying in the earlier levels, often while focusing on scoring or to cops.

My last run was good, unfortunately I had to use a continue on the last level, which I think can be the easiest level unless you game over behind a cop, and sometimes those feel like the cheapest deaths..

430k is definitely possible, but you need to be close to maximising your score. I don't think some of us are that far away but it's starting to feel harder to improve.

Video is at https://www.twitch.tv/videos/2083440407 (timestamp 08:59:00 - 09:26:45)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	outrun 3.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	81767  
Old 07 March 2024, 17:51   #29
lifeschool
Local Moderator

^ Superb!
Old 08 March 2024, 05:20   #30
cloudude

Quote:
^ Superb!
And to you! Volvomatt also got a great score, I wonder if someone will push it higher? Could easily happen. I don't know how competitive this comp gets, but I imagine the leaderboards could change a fair bit in the final day?

I might give it a few more goes. Part of me is curious to see how high we can get it collectively. That's the great thing about these comps, when it feels like it's almost a team effort to get a top score.
Old 08 March 2024, 17:56   #31
lifeschool
Local Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudude View Post
And to you! Volvomatt also got a great score
it feels like it's almost a team effort to get a top score.
Yes, anything can happen in the closing hours, but in my experience this rarely happens. You never know. Sometimes players can have a lucky run, but it's not like everyone is at peak performance on the final day, more likely their tires are spent and fuel is running low, so they lift and coast.

The compo has had quite a number of unbeatable players over the years, Rexsu, John4P, ED-209 for example. It was difficult to have any fun when they won everything, and this year, for the first time, non of those guys are in the compo! So it's anybodies league from now on.

EAB is quiet these days, since Biscuit dropped out, and it feels like a lonely corner, while it used to be very busy. This round hit two pages of comments, so maybe there are still people out there who still want to play these games with us? El_Pasi is my unofficial deputy on here. He is a regular player and usually competitive, and can help if I'm not around to answer questions. You might also bump into Harry, a master of Real Time games like Powermonger, MegaLoMania - watch out for him next round! Also Capehorn - a multi-Knockout champion and a master of some action games and platformers. Mailman is normally a casual player. He is often busy on the Polish forums but is a master of news and info about the scene, and helps us with new game releases on Lemon.

Other than that, I like to think of each round as a mission into the jungle. Each player is bush-whacking their way through lost and undiscovered lands. I encourage feedback, so I can read about those adventures, and discover what they discovered; so that the group consciousness is raised with every attempt. In the days of Lemon VS EAB, it was always a HUGELY competitive environment, where EAB won virtually every single year. Now it's a matter of looking at each game together collectively.

Last edited by lifeschool; 08 March 2024 at 18:07.
Old 09 March 2024, 08:32   #32
cloudude

Quote:
Yes, anything can happen in the closing hours, but in my experience this rarely happens. You never know. Sometimes players can have a lucky run, but it's not like everyone is at peak performance on the final day, more likely their tires are spent and fuel is running low, so they lift and coast.

The compo has had quite a number of unbeatable players over the years, Rexsu, John4P, ED-209 for example. It was difficult to have any fun when they won everything, and this year, for the first time, non of those guys are in the compo! So it's anybodies league from now on.

EAB is quiet these days, since Biscuit dropped out, and it feels like a lonely corner, while it used to be very busy. This round hit two pages of comments, so maybe there are still people out there who still want to play these games with us? El_Pasi is my unofficial deputy on here. He is a regular player and usually competitive, and can help if I'm not around to answer questions. You might also bump into Harry, a master of Real Time games like Powermonger, MegaLoMania - watch out for him next round! Also Capehorn - a multi-Knockout champion and a master of some action games and platformers. Mailman is normally a casual player. He is often busy on the Polish forums but is a master of news and info about the scene, and helps us with new game releases on Lemon.

Other than that, I like to think of each round as a mission into the jungle. Each player is bush-whacking their way through lost and undiscovered lands. I encourage feedback, so I can read about those adventures, and discover what they discovered; so that the group consciousness is raised with every attempt. In the days of Lemon VS EAB, it was always a HUGELY competitive environment, where EAB won virtually every single year. Now it's a matter of looking at each game together collectively.
I haven't heard of Rexsu, John4P, ED-209; not sure I know Biscuit either. It's great it has such a storied history and players are still keeping the flame lit who sound like good people. I certainly hadn't thought much about the Amiga for 20 years until a couple years ago when I stumbled across some twitch communities.

Yep, Trap encouraged me to join EAB for some balance, and now I hate Lemon! Nah, I'm sure a lot of people know each other. Thanks for running the comp, and I thought the scoring in this round worked very well.
Old 09 March 2024, 15:03   #33
Trapshot

Managed to find time to play and submit a score today after a few practices in the week. Definitely a frustrating game to complete, but has some good points!

Used 1 continue on this run(-five thousand)

Score= 393266

Finished the game also

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	OutrunEuropaFinalScore.png
Views:	58
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	81776   Click image for larger version

Name:	OutrunEuropaFinish.png
Views:	64
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	81777  
Old 09 March 2024, 16:25   #34
lifeschool
Local Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudude View Post
Yep, Trap encouraged me to join EAB for some balance, and now I hate Lemon!
I know you are joking, but that's good, a bit of inter-website rivalry never did EAB any harm before, and encourages scores.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapshot View Post
Managed to find time to play and submit a score today
I thought you might pop in with a late attempt. Great going Trappy. And thanks for encouraging players to join EAB. If everyone invited one player, this place would be full again in no time.
Old 10 March 2024, 01:32   #35
lifeschool
Local Moderator

This round is over!

Outrun Europa:
1st - volvomatt (LA)
2nd - cloudude (EAB)
3rd - pasquale (LA)

volvomatt backs up his Bronze in Pipe Mania with his first GOLD!. This record score will go on the Lemon Database at some point as soon as I remember... eventually. He also retains his 2 points lead over Trapshot in the championship. cloudude's second round after Banshee sees him win a Silver medal! Well done. pasquale gets his first medal of the season, the Bronze. Enough to keep him 2 points behind 3rd in the championship. Budda won 10 points, and enough to keep him in the top ranks. lifeschool gained a few places, and is now in the top 10. BazBadger followed up his Silver in Banshee with another solid performance, and he moves up to joint 5th overall. TrapShot did enough to keep rank 2. Stevengton drops to 10th (I thought he liked fast action bike games?).
Old 10 March 2024, 04:34   #36
VladR

Quote:
EAB is quiet these days, since Biscuit dropped out, and it feels like a lonely corner, while it used to be very busy. This round hit two pages of comments, so maybe there are still people out there who still want to play these games with us?
I love playing racing games competitively, I just never noticed this thread.

Can I use WinUAE or is this real-HW only ?
Old 10 March 2024, 14:05   #37
el_pasi

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladR View Post
I love playing racing games competitively, I just never noticed this thread.

Can I use WinUAE or is this real-HW only ?
Hi, you can also use emulators on competition, so WinUAE is definitely ok. Hopefully you take part in the next rounds
Old 10 March 2024, 14:09   #38
VladR

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_pasi View Post
Hi, you can also use emulators on competition, so WinUAE is definitely ok. Hopefully you take part in the next rounds
Thanks. I'll keep watch on this now.

Right now it looks like it's Populous. As much as I love Bullfrog, Populous never grew on me, unfortunately.