English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 30 April 2016, 00:12   #1
fondpondforever

Are you allowed to send Cash in the Post?

Are you allowed to send Cash in the Post for things like Amibay?
Old 30 April 2016, 00:24   #2
-Acid-

I wouldn't recommend it as it will not be be covered if it gets lost or someone claims it didn't arrive etc... nothing stopping you from doing it I suppose but just to reiterate it's not a good idea.
Old 30 April 2016, 00:28   #3
fondpondforever

So a Bank Transfer would be a better method and also quicker than PayPal as it only takes a few hours to transfer money whereas PayPal can take up to 3 Days to withdraw money into your bank account. Thanks.
Old 30 April 2016, 13:29   #4
Allen1

I agree with -Acid- but if you were to use registered mail then you would know that the envelope had been delivered. Or you could use Royal Mail Signed For 1st Class but cash is still not covered by insurance.
Old 30 April 2016, 13:33   #5
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Remember the days of the Postal Order?
Old 30 April 2016, 14:13   #6
rare_j
Zone Friend

Special delivery is insured for cash: https://business.help.royalmail.com/...lery-in-the-uk
Old 30 April 2016, 15:11   #7
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

I remember the days when your gran would send you a birthday card in the post and include money in it. Because it looked and felt a heck of a lot like a birthday card some dodgy posties would open them and keep the money.

It led to people disguising personal mail in boring brown envelopes to make them look more businessy.
Old 30 April 2016, 17:06   #8
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Send yourself a Birthday card stuffed with Monopoly money. If it doesn't arrive, Bad Postie.
Old 30 April 2016, 20:34   #9
Gunbot

Money orders are still a very big thing here in the States. Every major grocery market has a Western Union inside the store. The U.S. Post Offices offers them also. Wal-Mart charges only 70 cents for money orders up to $1,000, which is probably the cheapest rate we have here.
Do they have something similar in the U.K./Europe?

Last edited by Gunbot; 30 April 2016 at 20:43.
Old 01 May 2016, 15:08   #10
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by fondpondforever View Post
So a Bank Transfer would be a better method
Yes, especially with internet banking this is so easy, convenient and quick. There's absolutely no good reason to send money in the mail anymore.
Old 08 May 2016, 12:01   #11
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunbot View Post
Money orders are still a very big thing here in the States. Every major grocery market has a Western Union inside the store. The U.S. Post Offices offers them also. Wal-Mart charges only 70 cents for money orders up to $1,000, which is probably the cheapest rate we have here.
Do they have something similar in the U.K./Europe?
Not really, we've had personal online banking since the 80s over here in Finland, direct money transfers to your friend's account in the same day if it's the same bank or overnight if it's to a competing bank. All you need is your friend's account number. No, the account number is not enough to withdraw all the cash from their account - it's just an account number.

I haven't seen a cheque since the 80s, except for when I bought a house. Then the bank printed a cheque that I saw for two minutes as I handed it over to the seller. Part of the ritual I guess.

These days I also use IBAN+BIC transfers a lot to get money into euro zone countries, it's free up to 25000 euro and the transfer is overnight or two days. Only the UK guys seem to love paypal, apparently their online banking experience is terrible and paypal seems like a huge improvement. :-D
Old 08 May 2016, 13:55   #12
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

My experience with on line money transfer is it's a bit cumbersome (NatWest)

You have to set up an individual transfer account by first entering the recipients name and account number. Then you have to insert your bank card into a calculator type of machine and enter a unique code produced by the bank. You then get another code to enter on line to set up the transfer, then enter the amount and send.

Paypal is by far easier.
Old 08 May 2016, 14:09   #13
nogginthenog
Amigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnie View Post
My experience with on line money transfer is it's a bit cumbersome (NatWest)

You have to set up an individual transfer account by first entering the recipients name and account number. Then you have to insert your bank card into a calculator type of machine and enter a unique code produced by the bank. You then get another code to enter on line to set up the transfer, then enter the amount and send.

Paypal is by far easier.
It's cumbersome for a reason! If someone steals your login details they can't empty your account. They physically need your card and pin.
Old 08 May 2016, 14:32   #14
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogginthenog View Post
It's cumbersome for a reason! If someone steals your login details they can't empty your account. They physically need your card and pin.
Understood, I'm just saying that Paypal is easier.